Motoring Discussion > Proof of ownership Buying / Selling
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 15

Proof of ownership - movilogo
What is the proof of ownership of a vehicle?

The V5 clearly marked as not proof of ownership as it only list registered keeper.

If you are paying cash and buying private, there won't be any receipt to show that either.
 Proof of ownership - spamcan61
Receipt, that's about it. That's why the concept of 'registered keeper' was invented, so that there was somebody to send the fines to.
 Proof of ownership - CGNorwich
"If you are paying cash and buying private, there won't be any receipt to show that either."

Why would you not have a receipt if you paid cash for a car,whether to a commercial or private buyer?

Proof of ownership - spamcan61
Discussed over on uk.d-i-y the other day at it happens:-

groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/a4b0d7057e5bb1ca/3e57ce950d5a6e01?q=keeper&lnk=ol&
 Proof of ownership - Cliff Pope
Interesting thread.
There must be special laws relating specifically to the ownership of cars, allowing police etc to seize and destroy a vehicle because of the actions of the keeper, without any reference to the owner.
That doesn't apply to any other kind of property, does it? Supposing I obstruct the road by pushing a large wardrobe on a trolley, and am stopped by a policeman and I say it's not mine, I'm just the keeper. Does the policeman have the right to destroy the wardrobe without making any effort to ascertain its ownership?
 Proof of ownership - Stuu
A car I once sold was stopped by the police on the way home from collection. I sold it for £1 and gave a receipt. The receipt was accepted as proof of ownership by the police.
 Proof of ownership - Shiny
When you register a car with the DVLA, you transfer ownership to the state.
Yes really. You are just the registered keeper.

google "dvla own your car"
What a load of codswallop.
 Proof of ownership - R.P.
Aye. They own the registration number but that's all.
 Proof of ownership - paulb
>> When you register a car with the DVLA, you transfer ownership to the state.
>> Yes really. You are just the registered keeper.
>>
>> google "dvla own your car"
>>

I have indeed googled it. "Codswallop" is about right. Aside from anything else, if this was the case it would mean that finance & leasing companies would never be able to enforce title to any vehicle supplied by them.

This exchange here is about typical:

www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/how_do_i_de_register_my_own_auto

The DVLA would be quite within their rights to charge people for dealing with this sort of time-wasting nonsense. "It's not a vehicle because I've chosen to call it something else" indeed. For goodness' sake.
 Proof of ownership - paulb
(And the rather more worrying implication here is that the author of the piece in question is driving around uninsured. But hey.)
 Proof of ownership - movilogo
Why DVLA not create just another section in V5 document to include owner details?

There can be a simple checkbox to denote tick here if owner is same as registered keeper.

Also it is surprisingly easy to create a fake sale receipt.

Last edited by: movilogo on Sat 24 Mar 12 at 08:37
 Proof of ownership - henry k
>> Why DVLA not create just another section in V5 document to include owner details?
>>
>> There can be a simple checkbox to denote tick here if owner is same as registered keeper.
>>
Simples. The V5C was introduced not because loads of blank forms were stolen but to fall into line with EU model so IMO there is zero chance of a change.
Why should the DVLA and thus the taxpayer get into the business of proof of ownership? Every time the owner changes it would generate more work for them.

We don't expect the government to maintain a register of who owns the rest of our possessions do we?
 Proof of ownership - Bromptonaut

>> We don't expect the government to maintain a register of who owns the rest of
>> our possessions do we?

Absolutely. The only 'possession' that's registered is Land - and that get's bloomin complicated. Simple enough when one person has 100% undisputed ownership but factor in secured loans, counter claims of ownership, marital/family disputes and it becomes a 'mare.
 Proof of ownership - Bromptonaut
What do they Know.com is a great idea but unfortunately there's a consistent level of abuse by those pursuing hobby horses.

Latest Forum Posts