Motoring Discussion > 80 mph Motorway speed Limit Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 24

80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Meldrew
Road Safety Minister Mike Penning has announced that, if the motorway speed limit is raised to 80 mph there with be a increase of Specs Cameras and the limit will be strictly enforced with no tolerance.

Motorways being considered for this action are sections of M1, M6, M42 and M25
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Zero
It cant be "strictly enforced" at 80mph. Specs is not accurate enough to 1mph in 80.
The relevant Minster has said that it will be and that's good enough for me. What he means, I suppose, is that 81 mph recorded will result in a NIP. Has anyone ever defended a SPECS speeding ticket and successfully challenged the accuracy of the cameras?
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Lygonos
The minister is trying to put a gloss of "Road Safety" (well it is his brief after all) on what is basically a revenue raising exercise.

The constant raising of duties has driven people off the roads or caused them to drive slower/less frequently - this is no more than an attempt to curry favour from motorists while dipping ever deeper into our pockets.
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Manatee
I'm taking up futurology.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=7986&m=188016
>> The relevant Minster has said that it will be and that's good enough for me.
>> What he means, I suppose, is that 81 mph recorded will result in a NIP.
>> Has anyone ever defended a SPECS speeding ticket and successfully challenged the accuracy of the
>> cameras?

No because they have never bothered to nick anyone at speed limit + 1 as they don't want it challenged in court. The minister can say what he likes, but they will never get an 81mph specs prosecution through court.
In another recent thread somebody reports that he has had a NIP for 72 mph in a 70 - let's wait and see how he gets on
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Westpig
>> In another recent thread somebody reports that he has had a NIP for 72 mph
>> in a 70 - let's wait and see how he gets on
>>

Yes. In a vehicle that was subject to a 60mph limit, not the 70mph a car would have to comply with. So he was 12mph over.
>> In another recent thread somebody reports that he has had a NIP for 72 mph
>> in a 70 - let's wait and see how he gets on

Read the thread, he was done for 72 in a 60
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - movilogo
I think expensive fuel price means people are no longer interested in driving faster.

Nowadays I rarely see cars whizzing past at 80 MPH compared to 2 or so years ago at same place.
Tis true, speeds on motorways do seem slower.
I did! Wotspur said he got a NIP for 72 in a 70 and you said he has a good chance of getting off so what did/do you think the limit was?
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Westpig
Meldrew, you need to read all of the thread...he was driving a Transit that is subject to a 60mph limit, whereas a car/car derived van would have been subject to a 70mph limit.
I only read the first bit - did it get more interesting later on?
>> I did! Wotspur said he got a NIP for 72 in a 70 and you
>> said he has a good chance of getting off so what did/do you think the
>> limit was?

He didn't tell us all the story. Read all the thread.
Once I read your input I felt sure the matter was signed and sealed, clearly I was wrong!
!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sun 25 Mar 12 at 15:03
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Dutchie
It's sunday Meldrew not worth the aggro.<:)
It's not even worth zero >:)
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Bromptonaut
Wotspur's opening post implied he'd got a NIP for 72 in a 70 on the M23 and was silent about what he was driving. A later post clarified that itwas the A23 and that he was in charge of a Transit. Transit sized vehicles are subject to 60 limit on non M/way dual carriageway so he was 12mph over not 2.
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Dutchie
We all got the message in the end he was driving a transit.
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Dave_
It sets out very clearly in the FAQs on the back of an NIP that, specifically, Transit and Sprinter vans are subject to lower limits. The other questions on there debunk pretty much every internet myth about ways to dodge deserved speeding penalties (sending back £61 cheques, unsigned forms etc).
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - idle_chatterer
Wasn't the original 70mph limit a result of the 1970s oil crisis ? It seems to me that safety isn't the core argument given that the 'effective' speed limit won't change from the 80mph (or there-abouts) permitted* today.

However, if actual speeds reduce due to fuel costs then that's a different matter, either way the new speed limit won't change the current situation much ?

*- the speed at which you are unlikely to be prosecuted.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Mon 26 Mar 12 at 05:17
 80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Bromptonaut
>> Wasn't the original 70mph limit a result of the 1970s oil crisis ? It seems
>> to me that safety isn't the core argument given that the 'effective' speed limit won't
>> change from the 80mph (or there-abouts) permitted* today.

There was a temporary limit of 50 or 60 during the 1973/4 fuel crisis.

The 70 limit was set in the sixities under Transport Minister Ernie Marples. Initally an experiment but adopted permanently by the Wilson Gov later in the decade.

Move made Marples deeply unpopular. The words Marples Must Go were legible on an M! bridge in Hertfordshire up to the Brakespear to Berrygrove widening in 1982.

80 mph Motorway speed Limit - Crankcase
Digging into the recesses of my feeble memory, wasn't Marples the guy who "helped" Beeching come to his decision about all the railway cuts, and also owned the construction company that gained the most from the resultant road building? Or that a libel and a gross calumny, or even just plain wrong?
Latest Forum Posts