Motoring Discussion > Our road has been resurfaced. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 4

Our road has been resurfaced. - henry k
Our road is concrete slabs with a layer of tar on top but quite a lot of concrete was reappearing as the tar migrated.

As long promised they came and resurface the whole road.
Not being up to speed on alternatives to tar/ roller I was interested to see what what process was used.
The used a renter, German registered machine with a German two man crew supported by some friendly Scousers. The contractors say they have such a machine on order
They first drove the unit down the road as it deposited a quite thick layer of dark red tar looking stuff. The lads said it sets ( black) in only 30 mins so it must have had some sort of resin bonding. Next day another similar but thiner layer (with fine stones in it.)
The sweeper truck came yesterday ( Sunday) but there are few stones.

A very quick, fairly quiet process and no roller used.
Surrey says it can prolong the life of the carriageway by 7-10 years.

Is this the new standard or is it still spray tar and stones elsewhere?
 Our road has been resurfaced. - Mr. Ecs
Cheap.
There is no excuse for proper thick tarmac. This tar spraying and chipping done so often on the Surrey Roads does not fill pot holes or the signs of soil creep. All that happens is eventually the tar spray errodes very quickly especially off concrete, compared to thick laid tarmac and you get chippings everywhere.
 Our road has been resurfaced. - devonite
Still spray tar and stones here! - cuts years off Tyre life!
 Our road has been resurfaced. - Kevin
A section of the A327 near my office was resurfaced last year.

The machine they used skimmed off about an inch of the existing road surface, ground it up and warmed it up, mixed it with new bitumen and spat it out the back where it was raked out and rolled flat. It did about a full lane width and was probably moving at 1mph.

A neat piece of kit.
 Our road has been resurfaced. - henry k
A few years ago they did some sort of coating on our tarmac pavements.
We complained at the poor job so they returned and did the chew/ mix it/ spit it out again process. It is still in good shape unlike the side they did not reprocess where you can still see all the joints where cable Tv trenches were dug.

I commented to a know all near neighbour who is a "builder" about our new road surface. "Worse job I have ever seen... no roller...." .
I gave up at that point :-(
Latest Forum Posts