Motoring Discussion > TomTom Bracket Mount Miscellaneous
Thread Author: IJWS14 Replies: 14

TomTom Bracket Mount - IJWS14
Have been running with a Brodit mount for the TOMTOM but with a new Passat on order need to consider mountings - Don't want it on the screen.

All Brodit seem to have is a centre dash mount that covers the clock and the hazard flasher button so don't want to go that way.

TomTom do a vent mount, anyone any experience of it? Is it reasonably secure and does it damage the vent at all?
 TomTom Bracket Mount - Old Navy
I found that Brodit produced a center dash mount quickly for my new model car. After a couple of months they released a screen pillar mount. They seem to get one established and then follow up with others. There is an enquiry facility on their website.
 TomTom Bracket Mount - Pat
We always use these

www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-TomTom-Adhesive-Dash-Disks/dp/B001763SRI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333094800&sr=8-2

They remove from the dash if you change the vehicle without leaving any residue or damage and even in a lorry bouncing around the suction to them is very good.

Pat
 TomTom Bracket Mount - IJWS14
Just looked at Brodit again and the pictures on the web-site are a different car to the one on the Volkswagen web site . . . . .

obviously not a 2012 Passat.
 TomTom Bracket Mount - pug3
I fix my TomTom on the following vent mount in my Golf Mk6:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140366157608&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

The mount works fine. Some customers complain that the mount has to be assembled and no instructions are provided. A few minutes spent looking at the seller's picture with the components in your hand and it soon becomes obvious.

I insert the two long clips into the vent vane and then insert the other ends into the slotted holes in the holder back plate. The sat nav is then fitted to the holder.

I have tried fitting the complete holder and satnav in one go but found doing it in stages is quicker and less chance of damaging the holder or vent vane

As the holder clips are black plastic they do not mark the vent vanes. The holder needs to be handled carefully but once installed is no problem
 TomTom Bracket Mount - Alastairw
I obtained a very similar vent mount for my tomtom some years ago. Was a bit wobbly in the Focus (curved vent grills, y'see), but has been rock solid in the Octavia.

I don't know whey anyone would want the satnav on the screen. I often seen them mounted just under the rear view mirror, which must be obstructing the view out.
 TomTom Bracket Mount - Pat
>>which must be obstructing the view out.<<

..and is totally illegal.

Pat
 TomTom Bracket Mount - Zero
An MOT failure too if left on.
 TomTom Bracket Mount - CGNorwich
"..and is totally illegal."

actually the law is bit vague on what constitutes an obstruction. One of those areas where common sense applies
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 31 Mar 12 at 10:14
 TomTom Bracket Mount - Clk Sec
I don't own one myself, but most that I see are mounted on the windscreen.
 TomTom Bracket Mount - Oldgit
I saw a car yesterday, whose satnav was stuck onto the windscreen right in front of the driver's line of sight to that it was visible above the rim of the steering wheel.
At least this way you don't have to take your eyes off the road, that is assuming you can see what's ahead anyway.
 TomTom Bracket Mount - Runfer D'Hills
Luckily, my current car has its own built in satnav system but I used Brodit clips on my last couple of cars and chose brackets which mounted the TT low down pretty much behind the gear lever. I don't like the nav to be in my line of sight. I use sat nav a lot as I'm often going to new destinations but I tend to regard it as an aid rather than an instructor. I still use road signs / memory mainly but do refer to the nav if I need to double check something. Bit like you would a map really...
 TomTom Bracket Mount - swiss tony
>> I saw a car yesterday, whose satnav was stuck onto the windscreen right in front of the driver's line of sight to that it was visible above the rim of the steering wheel.
>> At least this way you don't have to take your eyes off the road, that is assuming you can see what's ahead anyway.
>>

But you wouldn't need to see the real road, there's a graphic representation of it, right in front of you!
 TomTom Bracket Mount - Oldgit
>> >> I saw a car yesterday, whose satnav was stuck onto the windscreen right in
>> front of the driver's line of sight to that it was visible above the rim
>> of the steering wheel........................................
>> But you wouldn't need to see the real road, there's a graphic representation of it,
>> right in front of you!
>>

Hmmm but how about the human element wandering about in front of the car?
 TomTom Bracket Mount - swiss tony
>> Hmmm but how about the human element wandering about in front of the car?
>>

DOH!
I knew there was a problem with that logic somewhere...... ;-)
Latest Forum Posts