Motoring Discussion > World Car Fuel Prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 43

World Car Fuel Prices - Meldrew
According to the ST Britain is now the 2nd most expensive place in the world to buy diesel, exceeded only by Norway. It is the 10th most expensive for petrol and one garage in Central London was charging 177.9 for petrol last week

At the other end of the scale where fuel is subsidised, to benefit society, rather than tax it until the pips squeak, diesel is 0.7p and petrol is 1.4p, per litre, in Venezuela.
 World Car Fuel Prices - R.P.
Where would you rather live ?
Somewhere in between, in a manner of speaking! I wouldn't mind paying the our tax rates here if I saw their expenditure better directed!
 World Car Fuel Prices - idle_chatterer
What else would you tax instead of motoring fuel ?
Almost everything else is taxed! Fuel is very highly taxed and twice, Excise duty AND VAT. Make the tax playing field a bit more level!
 World Car Fuel Prices - diddy1234
drivers in the uk wouldnt be so fed up if the tax and vat on fuel went back into the roads (maintinance and new roads).
but that will not happen.
i am not saying drivers would be happy but would be more understanding.

i can see civil uprisings if this continues.
not sure at what price point it would kick off though.
 World Car Fuel Prices - zippy
The fuel prices and recession are putting a real squeeze on drivers.

I travel all over the country for my job and see the differences in significantly less congestion then perhaps 5 years ago and new roads certainly don't account for this.

I don't have any stats to prove this save for a rush hour journey to Heathrow used to take me 3 hours. Now it takes 2!
 World Car Fuel Prices - Zero

>> I travel all over the country for my job and see the differences in significantly
>> less congestion then perhaps 5 years ago and new roads certainly don't account for this.
>>
>>
>> I don't have any stats to prove this save for a rush hour journey to
>> Heathrow used to take me 3 hours. Now it takes 2!

I think the advent of technology and the ability to work at home has contributed to the dilution of rush hour. Now its much more "day"specific and spread over a longer time.
 World Car Fuel Prices - Old Navy
>> >> Heathrow used to take me 3 hours. Now it takes 2!
>>
>> I think the advent of technology and the ability to work at home has contributed
>> to the dilution of rush hour. Now its much more "day"specific and spread over a
>> longer time.
>>

Agreed, my B-i-L now works from home four days a week and only commutes in that area one day a week.
 World Car Fuel Prices - Bill Payer
>> The fuel prices and recession are putting a real squeeze on drivers.
>>
>> I travel all over the country for my job and see the differences in significantly
>> less congestion then perhaps 5 years ago and new roads certainly don't account for this.
>>
I drive about quite a bit, but mainly North West to South East / central South, and traffic doesn't seem noticebaly less dense to me, although I would say it's generally travelling at lower speeds, so perhaps there is less traffic but it's bunched up a bit more?
 World Car Fuel Prices - -
Tax is only going one way.

40 years of P ing it up the wall as a nation has finally come home.

Good, bring it on.

''i can see civil uprisings if this continues''.

so can they, hence the hurry to complete the total monitoring of the state
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 8 Apr 12 at 11:47
 World Car Fuel Prices - mikeyb
I think that £2 a litre will be the crisis point.

The motorist is pretty hard done by in a number of respects - we pay vast amounts of duty and tax to use our cars, keep many thousands in work, yet see little back in return.

The flip side of this is that it does encourage people to think about what they drive, the way they drive, and where they drive which is all a good thing. My main gripe is that we are a fairly small island, and if the likes of the USA and China paid what we do for fuel then global consumption would drop sharply which would be good for most of us.
Last edited by: mikeyb on Sun 8 Apr 12 at 11:58
 World Car Fuel Prices - -
As fuel reaches make or break point, which it no doubt has for many already, that should coincide nicely with the already proposed flogging off of the roads and the gradual introduction of road pricing.

That way as cars become gradually more efficient, the cost of road use will take up the slack.

The problem being where else is the money to be found to pay back the last (and next ) 40 years of waste, wars and social and societal engineering, if not from the motorist.

We're hardly going to rebuild our manufacturing or other earning base in the forseeable future, unless bold decisions are taken.
>> I think that £2 a litre will be the crisis point.
>>
>> The motorist is pretty hard done by in a number of respects - we pay
>> vast amounts of duty and tax to use our cars, keep many thousands in work,
>> yet see little back in return.

Rubbish, you get free medical care and lavish benefits if required (or even if you don't). The NHS has spent more on me than I put in in lifetime of work. I know people who have died from not being able to afford medical treatment in other countries, as I would have done if treatment was not free here.

Granted much of it goes on foreign bribes, wars, corruption and waste.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 8 Apr 12 at 12:13
 World Car Fuel Prices - Shiny
We are paying for the colossally abused benefits system.
Motability, care allowance, disability benefit for cheats and their fake carers.
Multiple properties with rent paid for by the council, and then sub-let.
Often these are 'rented' off extended family members at inflated rents.
The list goes on.. and on...
 World Car Fuel Prices - teabelly
And about 24BN that companies don't pay in tax because there are loopholes. Dwarfs the benefit and rent cheating!

Amazon have a 3BN business in the UK. They pay virtually nothing in tax.

Best way to avoid paying vast amounts for fuel is to make your own biofuels. Tax free up to 2500 litres for personal use ie in your own car and not sold to others.

People are going to get hacked off with energy costs being unaffordable so there will be more creative solutions and self sufficiency. Energy companies will not like it as they've had the monopoly and power to basically do everyone over.

World Car Fuel Prices - John H
>> And about 24BN that companies don't pay in tax because there are loopholes. >>

Close the loopholes if you believe all those figures put out by UK Uncut.

>> Amazon have a 3BN business in the UK. They pay virtually nothing in tax. >>

Amazon is not a charity, but is an overseas based, internet company trading quite legitimately. It sells goods bought by willing UK consumers, who pay VAT (if applicable) in the UK on those goods.

If you think that the internet should be used by the UK public to buy goods only from UK companies, then by all means lobby for a change in the law. Following that line of thinking, you will soon end up with the way that commerce was carried out in the former communist Easter Bloc countries. Many countries that, in the past, tightly restricted foreign capital and trade in foreign made products, realised that if they wanted to enjoy better standards of living, they had to soften their trade barriers.

Protectionism and trade barriers eventually lead to a combination of higher prices and poor quality goods - a heavy price that is paid by the consumers in the domestic market.

World Car Fuel Prices - Dutchie
sooty.

My wife receives the Motability allowence.She was in the care profession for twenty eight years.Not well paid looking after people with learning difficulties.She also recieves the disability benefit.She would have been still in work if it was not for her disability.I have to care for her she has severe nerve damage in her legs..

Any news about your brother Dutchie, if you care to keep us in the picture?
Sorry Meldrew,I always feel a bit of a nuisance mention our problems.I spoke to him yesterday and he was just home from hospital.He has to go in again in May for 5 days 24/7 chemotherapy.He could speak. Excellent hospital in Groningen.I see the family end of May and a get together.Sister in Rotterdam,nieces in Apeldoorn and stop at brothers house in Assen.I hope that the tumor is gone after his treatment we have to wait.
 World Car Fuel Prices - Shiny
That's fine Dutchie, I live in a 'diverse' area which is full of cheats who openly boast and swap stories. Hardly anything happens, as the system is based on people being honest. I think there is a huge difference between taking what is not yours and arranging your affairs so as to pay as little tax as possible.
I understand where you coming from sooty.I have met people like that.I miss work the banter some responsibility can't realy explain.I have always been active and took on any job if needed.
Your reticence is understandable but we know there is a problem and hope for the best possible outcome for him and you and your families. I hope your trip in May goes well, in every way.
Thanks Meldrew lots of people have problems.I feel rich good home and family and Yorkshire pudding>;) I beleive you are going across soon.We hope to go on the North Sea ferry,Diana is scared of the sea have to calm her with some tablets .Took her once on the Yorkshire bell in rough weather just of Bridlington.She was sea sick.
I live South of the Thames so it is the Tunnel for me. 30 minutes check-in, no intrusive security and a vehicle +9 for £98 return! Way to go but not from Yorkshire I do agree! I am vehicle +2 and a lot of wine on the way back!
 World Car Fuel Prices - mikeyb
>> Rubbish, you get free medical care and lavish benefits if required (or even if you
>> don't). The NHS has spent more on me than I put in in lifetime of
>> work. I know people who have died from not being able to afford medical treatment
>> in other countries, as I would have done if treatment was not free here.
>>
>> Granted much of it goes on foreign bribes, wars, corruption and waste.
>>

I get those benefits regardless of weather I am a motorist or not
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 10 Apr 12 at 21:19
 World Car Fuel Prices - Harleyman
>> I think that £2 a litre will be the crisis point.
>>

Why? Nobody batted an eyelid when it passed five quid a gallon!
 World Car Fuel Prices - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Why? Nobody batted an eyelid when it passed five quid a gallon!
>>
Or fags went above three quid a packet!

Some guys stopped smoking - achieved aim - but some carried on regardless.

With petrol it is different - how few hooners will stop hooning, and how many cash-strapped folk will start doing calculations as to their choice between the car and the bus/train?
It has reached £6.50 a gallon. My eyelids are batting!
£10 a gallon and I might just think about

a. driving at no more than 65mph on M-ways.

b. reducing the "social", "domestic" and "pleasure" part of my driving (will my Insurance company have to be notified that the SDP cover is not needed?).

Surely SDP is the lowest level of comp cover you can have? Then you can add commuting to one place of work or multiple ones and finally full business use. I suggest all you can do is claim for a lower annual mileage on your SDP. If you remove SDP what will you insurer be covering for?
 World Car Fuel Prices - Clk Sec
I'm covered for SDP and business use, but I'd be interested to hear insurers response if I asked them to delete the SDP element.
It was a question in jest, I should have added a smiley of some sort.

>> If you remove SDP what will you insurer be covering for? >>

BEE, a new category - "Business, Essential and Emergency" use. :)

World Car Fuel Prices - zippy
Removing SDP.

They would put the price up!

World Car Fuel Prices - Clk Sec
>>It was a question in jest,

Still a good point, though.

I could quite easily do without my car for SDP, but not for my occasional business use.
 World Car Fuel Prices - Zero
Pay by mile insurance is the answer
I have SDP only cover, I think the "D" bit would catch out the antisocial folk who get their pleasure in a static form. No nipping to the shops when it is chucking it down and you are out of milk. :-)
I have to tried to make my smileys bigger, to assist other people with vision problems but I can't!
 World Car Fuel Prices - PR
Where do they get their figures from?

A quick look on www.infoviabilita.it gives current prices on fuel in Italy. The local prices are Diesel at 1.78 and petrol at 1.89. At an exchange rate of 1.20 that equates to £1.48 for diesel and £1.58 for petrol. Both more than both in my neck of the woods...
I have found a Bloomberg article re Italian fuel prices, dated 30th March, quoting petrol at 1.82 euros per litre

This list is from a UK based tourist information site, it dates frmo 21/Feb and is due an update in late April

First figure is unleaded, the second is diesel

Country

Unleaded 95 petrol price per litre in euros February 21st 2012

Diesel price per litre in euros February 21st 2012

Austria

Belgium

Czech Rep

Denmark

France

Germany

Hungary

Ireland

Italy

Latvia

Luxembourg

Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Slovakia

Slovenia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom

World Car Fuel Prices - Collos
Havng just travelled across europe I would say that the UK has one of the cheapest prices for diesel and certainly petrol by a country mile even so its all expensive wherever you buy it .
The only countries in the whole of Europe where diesel costs more than in UK are Italy and Norway. SFAIK
Last edited by: Meldrew on Wed 11 Apr 12 at 17:28
 World Car Fuel Prices - Collos
Try Holland and Germany for starters and if you happen to live in these countries the road tax on diesels would make you cry
Last edited by: Collos on Wed 11 Apr 12 at 18:52
I follow you! In Cyprus, years ago diesel was cheap but the road tax was stratospheric. The only diesels were taxis and it balanced out over the huge mileages they did.
Latest Forum Posts