Motoring Discussion > SEAT Leon II - car change Buying / Selling
Thread Author: apm Replies: 4

SEAT Leon II - car change - apm
So my M-i-L has had her 2008 (58) SEAT Leon (1.9 TDi) for a year. It emerges that while she loves the car, she hates the colour (wants red) and really wants an autobox.

She'd ideally like to swap her grey manual for the same car in red with an auto.

Trouble is, the only auto Leons are DSG. I've heard bad things about longevity, and indeed the DSG we test drove last time was absolutely knackered, and sounded like it was about to fall out of the car!

So: am I right to be concerned about the DSG box, or was that just bad luck?

If we are looking for a different make, then suggestions? I immediately was drawn towards the Ce'ed/ i30, although she is not sure about the Korean maunfacturers (or Skoda for that matter).

Needs to be economical, reliable, and a bit interesting. Red, auto, diesel.

Many thanks in advance,

Alex.
 SEAT Leon II - car change - Lygonos
Not heard that many horror tales recently about DSGs.

They're apparently smoother in the more powerful engines.

Leons have awful vision - the A-pillar is mahoosive, and the rear view mirror gets in the way of forward vision unless you're Bilbo Baggins.

Usual advice re mileage vs petrol/diesel.

If she's not doing many miles (<12-15k pa) consider perhaps a 1.2 or 1.4 TSi with DSG.

Would an Ibiza be big enough?
 SEAT Leon II - car change - -
Auto Diesel Leon sized, not many to choose from unless prepared to make do with some sort of auto clutched car with its plus and minus points and its potential for high costs.

BMW 1 series is probably the best in this market, unless prepared to choose a brand with less kudos though arguably as good a car, Chevvy Cruze.

Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 14 Apr 12 at 12:26
 SEAT Leon II - car change - -
It might also be worth enquiring whether the latest Astra has a proper auto, i haven't a clue.
 SEAT Leon II - car change - Dog
>> whether the latest Astra has a proper auto, i haven't a clue<<

6 speed so the devils spawnbox most likely.
Latest Forum Posts