Motoring Discussion > Things you really like about your car.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: a900ss Replies: 87

Things you really like about your car.... - a900ss
Not options or the performance, just the little things that really help living with the car.

For me and the Legacy, it's the large windscreen washer capacity of 5 litres.

In the winter ths really makes a difference and you rarely find that you don't have any water to clean a dirty screen. My wife's car seems to need topping up every week in winter and she only drives about 10k a year.
 Things you really like about your car.... - zookeeper
my daewoo was the same.. massive washer bottle , i often thought of selling some of the water back to severn trent when the derwent got a bit low
 Things you really like about your car.... - Old Navy
How difficult is it to top up a screenwasher bottle once a week, bone idle some people. A good time to do a fluid level check too.

My car has low level lights for fuel and screenwasher, don't know if they work, they have never come on.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 15 Apr 12 at 19:31
 Things you really like about your car.... - zookeeper
Isnt it an offence to drive 'dry'.... even suicidal during slush weather one would think
 Things you really like about your car.... - diddy1234
variable intermittent wiper speed.
had a carisma with it then missed it on the astra now got it back on the rio
 Things you really like about your car.... - legacylad
The fact that mine looks just like any other boring anonymous 3 series.
Then you drop it into 2nd and red line it though two gears.
Then I run out of bottle.
Which model Rio do you have diddy? I have been thinking of one or maybe a Fiesta next time. The Fiesta is in the lead at the moment as it can have a 1.6 petrol engine and my days of diesel have gone with the advent of the DPF.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Dog
>>been thinking of one or maybe a Fiesta next time - my days of diesel have gone<<

Well, shiver me timbers, I never thought I'd see the day that our ancient submariner friend uttered those words.

Always saw you as a died in the wall derv cee'd O/N.
I was pickled in diesel before being steam cleaned by a nuclear power plant. :-) As we now do 75% local pottering and only 12k miles a year unfortunately a DPF'd diesel is not really an option, much as I prefer them.
>>only 12k miles a year unfortunately a DPF'd diesel is not really an option<<

Surprising the amount of people who don't realise that, alas, in poor areas like Cornwall they buy diesel engined cars for reasons of economy and hardly do 8000 mi pa, where as a small petrol engined car would be a better option IMO.
 Things you really like about your car.... - mikeyb
>> As we now do 75% local pottering and only 12k miles a year unfortunately a
>> DPF'd diesel is not really an option, much as I prefer them.
>>

I'm only doing 10K a year in the DPF (or whatever PSA call it) equipped C5 and not had an issue in the last 3 years
Old Navy, its a rio 1.5l diesel. these are the mark II rios made between 2005 - 2011.
i said it three years ago when i brought it brand new and will still happily say it now.

a very underrated car.
no problems at all with it.
my previous astra was brought at 6 months old and by the time i owned it three years i was bored with it but kept it for seven years.

for some people a car that is just good enough for your needs will impress you more than paying over the odds for something never driven to its full potential
>> Old Navy, its a rio 1.5l diesel.

Cheers, diddy. I will probably keep my Ceed estate until it dies, it is one of the last ones built without a DPF and does not have a DMF, with the build quality of the new KIAs that could be a long time. In the past when I was doing higher annual mileage I ran my cars to 100+K miles (all diesels) without problems and usually changed them when I became bored with them.
like your ceed. mine is on a 09 plate so no dpf and no dual mass flywhhel to worry about.
not too sure how long to keep this as i keep being sent tempting offers from kia but since their new rio likes to hug more trees than tear up tar mac i wont budge just yet
>>but since their new rio likes to hug more trees than tear up
>> tar mac i wont budge just yet
>>

I think the new Rio sounded like a gutless wonder, if, or when it comes to it a supermini with at least a 1.6 petrol engine would be my choice.
same thoughts here as well
 Things you really like about your car.... - Zero
One touch (for the driver) electric windows on all four doors. Ferociously hot heated door mirrors, ditto rear screen heater. Large washer bottle volume (about 3 litres), great headlights,
Wipers that don't smear, judder or squeal.

(the most stressful thing about any car is having poor headlights and crap wipers)

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 15 Apr 12 at 19:40
 Things you really like about your car.... - Runfer D'Hills
The turning circle or more particularly the lock on mine. Can park it in the tightest of spots despite its bulk.
 Things you really like about your car.... - BobbyG
The ease of changing headlight bulbs
Automatic variable wipers
Auto headlights connected to the auto wipers
Simple, one switch, cruise control
Blown bulb checker
Washer bottle low level warning
Reversing sensors
Your Altea has a Washer bottle low sensor? Mine didn't.

Still at least it had a working gearbox.
 Things you really like about your car.... - BobbyG
>>Still at least it had a working gearbox

so does mine now!!
 Things you really like about your car.... - Avant
Yes - the professional road testers would never realise that things like a tight turning circle and a big washer reservoir are appreciated more often by most of us than handling when driving to the limit on twisty B-roads.

The Octavia can turn in a tighter circle than SWMBO's Mini Cooper. The other little thing it has - and I've only ever seen it on Skodas - is a clip at the corner of the windscreen to hold car park tickets, not all of which are sticky.

That avoids the usual sequence of events:

Puts ticket on dashboard.
Slams door.
Ticket blows on to floor.
Parking fine.
Whingeing post on motoring forum 'It's Not Fair'.
>>The other little
>> thing it has - and I've only ever seen it on Skodas - is a
>> clip at the corner of the windscreen to hold car park tickets, not all of
>> which are sticky.
>>
>> That avoids the usual sequence of events:
>>
>> Puts ticket on dashboard.
>> Slams door.
>> Ticket blows on to floor.
>> Parking fine.
>> Whingeing post on motoring forum 'It's Not Fair'.
>>

One of these?

tinyurl.com/d6k3gn9

>> thing it has - and I've only ever seen it on Skodas -

And SAABs
>>
>> >> thing it has - and I've only ever seen it on Skodas -
>>
>> And SAABs
>>

And Volvos
 Things you really like about your car.... - Skip
>>
>> >> thing it has - and I've only ever seen it on Skodas -
>>
>> And SAABs
>>

>>And Volvos

And Citroens
 Things you really like about your car.... - Clk Sec
>> not all of which are sticky.
>> That avoids the usual sequence of events:
>> Puts ticket on dashboard.
>> Slams door.
>> Ticket blows on to floor.
>> Parking fine.
>> Whingeing post on motoring forum 'It's Not Fair'.

This happened to me a few years ago in a local authority car park when I placed a non sticky ticket on the dashboard.

I wrote a short letter attaching the ticket that I had bought, and much to my surprise the fine was withdrawn.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Yes - the professional road testers would never realise that things like a tight turning
>> circle and a big washer reservoir are appreciated more often by most of us than
>> handling when driving to the limit on twisty B-roads.

You'd be surprised!
I normally get a car for a week, and put it 'through its paces' over a consistent circuit, as well as doing a standard set of stuff involving loading shopping bags, golf bags, milk crates etc, loading up the kids and taking them to and from school, and playing around under the bonnet to see how difficult/easy certain chores are (night and day) and how much the reservoirs hold, and how quickly they can clean a windscreen of dead bugs etc.
On-the-road testing also involves a local circuit where I check on parking ease, visibility from the driver's seat, and a few ergonomic tests - can I reach stuff easily, without having to take my eyes off the road?
And of course, thrashing some serious music from a selected flashdrive through the sound system - consistency is king!
Eh, how can you have great headlights, and poor headlights??
Did I say I had poor headlights?

Noo I don't think i did.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Runfer D'Hills
Don't be too hard on him Z. Not that many dogs can read at all. He does very well.

:-)
 Things you really like about your car.... - WillDeBeest
Set-and-forget climate control: there are buttons for air direction, recirc and AC on-off, but the only one I ever need is the quick-demist one. Otherwise I just hit that big Auto button and let it maintain 21 degrees for me. Every other system I've used has been crude by comparison, although ON and L'es would presumably hate it for not measuring temperature in cubits of wintergreen.
};---)

Odd to think I ordered the car without it, but it became standard for the 2003 model year, which arrived before my car was built. No extra charge either.

Other favourite is the 'grocery bag holder'. The boot is big but the opening is not, and this pop-up carpeted board prevents the one bag I carry on work days disappearing into its darkest depths and requiring potholing gear to recover.

I'd mention heated seats too but they're increasingly common these days; even Mercedes offer them.

edit: sorry, LL didn't want favourite options. I have a ticket clip like Avant's, though; that's nice.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 15 Apr 12 at 20:17
 Things you really like about your car.... - bathtub tom
Have I mentioned before, it only cost me fifty quid five years ago?
 Things you really like about your car.... - Crankcase
The bit where the display shows that I'm not using any petrol but am happily tootling along at 40ish.
... oh, and headlights that go off with ignition, and bulbs that can be replaced in two minutes without tools. And panel lights that aren't too bright. And displays that stay bright enough to read when I have the headlights on in daylight. And the face- and foot-level air ducts that keep the rear passengers comfortable too. And the little button that lets me hang my jacket on the passenger seat without obscuring a window or looking like a travelling knicker (or shoe) salesman. Can I stop now?
 Things you really like about your car.... - a900ss
>> ... oh, and headlights that go off with ignition

Agreed. The Legacy has that feature and I do like it. Effectively I drive with headlights on all the time now after a VERY near miss when somebody pulled out on me.
Last edited by: a900ss on Sun 15 Apr 12 at 20:42
;)
 Things you really like about your car.... - -
Engine almost silent unless roused when it growls.
Auto gearbox effortless and silky smooooth.
Rear wheel drive and brilliant turning circle.
Brakes that really bite but not overservoed.
Comfortable safe predictable and controllable handling at any speed.
Good all round visibility with unfashionably narrow A pillars.
Wood and leather interior in proper colours, no fake alloy or carbon carp.
Relatively small for its type and slim whilst not cramped inside, except for the back seats and they are used maybe once a year.
Auto electric aerial, virtually silent.
Vacuum central locking again almost silent.
Goes like hell if required with hatchback economy.
Nice switchgear and simple basic controls.
Full size spare wheel.
My indy cos he only works on my make.
Service and main items like brakes easy and straightforward for my DIY moments.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Londoner
The clear, white-lit instrumental panel at night.
The push-button parking brake, which releases itself so smoothly as the car moves off from rest.
The way that the windscreen wipers park themselves when they have finished doing their work.
The digital speedometer in the middle of the instrument panel that I can set to mph or kph.
Being able to read the oil level from the driver's seat, via the MMI display.
Simple, logical, effective manual controls for the driver's seat (BMW take note!)
The way the frameless windows drop slightly as you open the door (common feature nowadays)
Simple ignition sequence. Insert key to turn on electrics, then push to start motor. (No need for a stupid start button.)
 Things you really like about your car.... - Ted

I like the 'lazydrive ' facility on the Grand Vitara........It's always available.

Two litre turbo diesel
Slushbox auto.
Power steering.

Sit back and just guide it where you want it to go. Plus seeing over the tops of other cars.
No essence of pretentiousness like so many other FWDs. Doea all I need it to do without fuss or complaint.

Ted
 Things you really like about your car.... - mikeyb
The Climate control on the C5 that manages to pump out warm air after less that half a mile from the front door

The auto wipers that turn on the headlights if the rain is anything more than very light

Lights that go off with the ignition (if I have left them set to "on" rather than Auto)

Ability to turn on/off the child locks with a button on the drivers door

Very good standard of stereo of a standard fit jobie
I don't 'really' like anything about my car, but I don't 'really' dislike anything about it either.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Bagpuss
Windscreen pillars that successfully divert rain water over the roof at any speed - useful in a car with no door frames.
Additional sun visor above the rear view mirror.
Bonnet release flap that pops out of the radiator grille when you pull the release handle, allowing you to open the bonnet without getting your hands dirty.
Laminated rear screen with heater elements so fine as to be virtually invisible.
Single cam mounted windscreen wiper.
Front seat tilting mechanism that uses the inlet manifold vacuum to lock the seat backs.
Seat shaped electric seat adjustment switches on the doors.
Huge boot, despite full size spare.
Turning circle on a par with a supermini.

All that in a car built nearly 20 years ago, and designed nearly 30 years ago.
 Things you really like about your car.... - BiggerBadderDave
1 - Never having to take keys out of your pocket or pressing any blippers, just unlocks when I touch the handle. No faffing looking for keys when you have an arm full of shopping.

2 - Mark Levinson stereo - just the most amazing sound coming out the speakers.

3 - The silence - can't hear the engine but can just about hear the aircon gently blowing.

On every single journey, I enjoy 1 and combinations of 2 and 3

Dislike the warning on the screen when I start-up - something about driving sensibly and be a nice guy and be good in bed (or something, never read the whole paragraph). And the irritating cruise that cancels when you deviate by plus or minus 10mph. Makes me livid. It should stay in the memory until you switch off the engine - like every other car I've ever driven.
>> And the irritating cruise that cancels when you deviate by plus or minus 10mph.

Is this the adaptive cruise control? It probably shouldn't do that, but the first generation adaptive systems from Toyota weren't that good in dealing with the car in front slowing down significantly. They would disengage and let the driver do the slowing down. Also not too good in rain.
 Things you really like about your car.... - L'escargot
Comfortable flattish seats, instead of the current trend of uncomfortable heavily-bolstered
seats.
Intermittent wipers with 6 settings.
Electrically heated windscreen ~ I wouldn't buy a car which didn't have this feature.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Mike Hannon
Very comfortable seats - never, ever got out with aches and pains after a long day's drive.
Four-wheel steering - invaluable in a car park or tight spot.
V-tec engine - two totally different characters so never boring.
Three choices of transmission, ditto.
Makes a nice noise when wound up.
The Motegi bodykit which still makes it quite nice to look at, even with the wild boar ding in the front. It was parked in the street while we were shopping in England a couple of weeks ago and when we got back there were two blokes standing there, saying 'that's rare' and 'it's pretty'!
Everything works after 14 hard years and 116k around Europe.
But what to do next? I made an offer on a very similar one I came across in the UK but with only 49k on it. Unfortunately, it would be just kicking the can down the road. I have to give in and be practical before I grow much older.
 Things you really like about your car.... - CGNorwich
There is only one feature of a car that really matters to me. Is it reliable. Everything else is window dressing.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Armel Coussine
It has a pleasant interior with hard-wearing leather and suede seats in an agreeable colour. It's never failed to start. It's fairly quiet, fairly comfortable and not unduly thirsty. While not a driver's car, it drives all right without gross handling vices and can be hustled along fairly briskly with due care. Its retro styling doesn't appeal to everyone but looks all right to me. Everything important still works including the seldom-used a/c. It has just passed its MoT fairly easily. I don't know what it's worth now at age 12 but when it was given to us for nothing by our well-paid (but very nice) nephew and niece-in-law its book price was around 4,000 quid.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Shiny
Audi A8's comfort plus seats with so many adjustments and massage, parking heater, premium grade audio, very quiet double pane glass, keyless entry and start (took a while to grow on me)

>>I don't know what it's worth now at age 12<<

Less-than a bag of sand.
 Things you really like about your car.... - apm
On the Merc (56 plate E220 estate):

- That the lights come on when you unlock at night
- That the indicator light on the rotary climate selector is red at the hot end and blue at the cold
- The excellent COMAND combined audio/telephone/sat nav system (particularly the bluetooth phone)
- The bonnet furniture
- Parking sensors
- All-day long comfortable seats

On the BMW (89 E30 325i ragtop)

- The creamy 6 cylinder engine (the metallic howl as it comes on the cams)
- Roof down!
- The M-tech 2 pack, Alpina wheels and slightly noisier than standard exhaust!
- The combination of a reasonable amount of classic status and everyday useability.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Mike H
My Saab 9-5 Aero estate has fan-cooled leather seats, and you never get out feeling like a damp rag in the summer.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Harleyman
The £30 cost of the RFL.
 Things you really like about your car.... - TheManWithNoName
I like my Pug 406 diesel estate GLX because its big, comfy, relaxed, economical and has a few dings and scrapes but nothing too ugly and I am no longer bothered when it acquires more dents, oh, and the fact it starts goes and stops when I want it to.
;-)
 Things you really like about your car.... - madf
Easy to enter and exit, easy to drive, easy to park.. and cheap to run...
 Things you really like about your car.... - Dave_
>> and the fact it starts goes and stops when I want it to.

That's the best thing about the Mondeo! I've had plenty of cars before which don't do those things...

Also:

Heated windscreen is awesome
Remote locks are really handy - never had a car where they still work before
Loads of space inside for my kids, their mates and all their stuff
Thumping great wodge of mid-range torque
Did I mention the heated windscreen? :)
 Things you really like about your car.... - nyx2k
Auto door locking when driven off above 6mph.
cruise and speed limiter
Last edited by: nyx2k on Tue 17 Apr 12 at 16:32
>> Auto door locking when driven off above 6mph

I can set the Mondeo to do that, but it makes such a "thunk" when it locks that any unfamiliar passengers think I'm kidnapping them.... instead I can easily lock the doors myself if I'm in a dodgy area.

>> cruise

It's adaptive on the Jag isn't it? Wish mine was, I'm forever clicking it up or down one notch.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 17 Apr 12 at 16:58
i love the cruise on the Jaguar. adaptive and pretty useful.
the jag door locking is nearly silent but on the wifes citroen the auto door locks do sound a bit loud
 Things you really like about your car.... - TheManWithNoName
>> Auto door locking when driven off above 6mph.

So why do cars need to lock their doors after moving off?

Child safety? err, isn't that what child locks are for?

Anti hijacking? - Surely you lock the doors as soon as you get in if you feel you're at risk!

To stop the door bursting open at random? - Can't say I've ever been in a car which suffers from that.

To keep your passengers in? - Why would you want to ferry anyone who felt the urge to get out whilst travelling anywhere above 10mph? Besides which it's nigh on impossible to hold open a door wide enough at motorway speeds due to wind resistance.

Just curious.
the same reason as electric windows, air con or any other electric toy in the car. because i like it
>> Heated windscreen is awesome

I coulcn't have put it better myself.

>> Did I mention the heated windscreen? :)

You did, but it's worth mentioning in every post!
 Things you really like about your car.... - Westpig
All sorts of things I really like about my car. If it were a bit more fuel efficient it would honestly be my perfect car, which isn't bad for something 13 years old.

My main 'like' is comfort, combined with effortless pace and the fact you can go from a toodling waft to a manic thrap with no dramas, just the howling V6 soundtrack.
That's the best thing about the Mondeo! I've had plenty of cars before which don't do those things.

One of us had a Mondeo that didn't do those things.
>> One of us had a Mondeo that didn't do those things.

It's the luck of the draw with any second-hand car though isn't it? I've bought more than my share of cheap cars, many of them have had big problems straightaway but a select few proved to be good long-term drives. It's the same with more expensive cars.

One hopes the ratio of good cars to bad cars is more favourable the more they cost, but it's possible to spend even five figures and still end up with a lemon, unfortunately.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Dutchie
A few things I like about the car.The auto wipers.heated front screen.Car feels solid good handling in any weather.The economy of the Diesel engine and airbags all round a must.

Good car the Focus 1.6 T.D.C.I The titanic model.
andling in any weather.The economy of the Diesel engine and airbags all round a must.
>>
>> Good car the Focus 1.6 T.D.C.I The titanic model.

Mind out for icebergs then.
>> Good car the Focus 1.6 T.D.C.I The titanic model.

Sounds like the one where the cabin filter's been butchered by a main dealer resulting in water ingress.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Bigtee
The large boot and the comfy ride as opposed to the last car with sports suspension, never again, well not while i have a young one.

A full size spare wheel fitted by me but better than a compressor and can of gunk.

A large pocket near handbrake to put car charger and sweets.

5 doors no need to park at the top of the car park.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Cliff Pope
My new Triumph 2000 - the gorgeous old-car smell of leather and wood.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Duncan
>> 5 doors no need to park at the top of the car park.
>>
>>

Que?
>> >> 5 doors no need to park at the top of the car park.

>> Que?

5-door cars have shorter doors which open to a wider effective angle in a narrow space, making entry and exit easier when someone's parked so close next to you that your mirrors almost touch. Some 3-door cars (e.g. Astra H) have such long doors that it's almost impossible to "post" yourself through the gap when the opening is obstructed.

If you park at the far end of the car park you're less likely to come back to another car parked right next to yours, but more likely to have had your catalyst nicked :)
>> >> >> 5 doors no need to park at the top of the car park.
>>
>> >> Que?
>>
>> 5-door cars have shorter doors which open to a wider effective angle in a narrow
>> space, making entry and exit easier when someone's parked so close next to you that
>> your mirrors almost touch. Some 3-door cars (e.g. Astra H) have such long doors that
>> it's almost impossible to "post" yourself through the gap when the opening is obstructed.
>>
>> If you park at the far end of the car park you're less likely to
>> come back to another car parked right next to yours, but more likely to have
>> had your catalyst nicked :)

Thats it i had the 3 door sports hatch Astra a nightmare in a supermarket had to park on the end row or way up in car park.
>>
>> Thats it i had the 3 door sports hatch Astra a nightmare in a supermarket
>> had to park on the end row or way up in car park.

I think the worse car i ever delivered for this is the Pug 308CC, very low roof and extremely sloping windscreen and long doors, i ended up sort of crabbing into the thing whilst performing an ungainly limbo under the A pillar....ended up spinning right round to exit sometimes even putting my hand on the ground for support...yes i know i'm an old frat but managed to get in and out of all sorts of cars no bother in the most awkward places and angles when on certain decks of the truck.

Goodness know why anyone buys anything like them, you couldn't pay me enough to take it.

Oddly enough though its tiny and even lower the Mazda MX5 is a joy to enter and exit, whilst BMW Z4 could be even worse than 308CC for access, not only the limbo under A pillar manoeuver but simultaneously vault over the high sill and down onto the perch, dreadful things.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Iffy
...I think the worse car i ever delivered for this is the Pug 308CC...

The CC3 has the longest doors in the world.

As others have said, it needs forethought when parking.

Even more so when you have a knackered - or rehabilitating - hip.

Some twonk parked close to me in a disabled bay in Catterick.

I had to ask a passer-by to move the car for me.

He was wearing an army uniform, so I judged him to be capable and trustworthy.

I would have been more wary had he been an officer. :)

>> Even more so when you have a knackered - or rehabilitating - hip.
>>

I hadn't put two and two together Iffy, goodness knows how you manage, i rarely delivered Fords and don't remember ever driving a CC3.
 Things you really like about your car.... - Iffy
...goodness knows how you manage...

Better than I did, I have more flexibility in the joint now than pre-operation, although still nowhere near 100 per cent.

I reckon the CC3 is quite wide for a medium-sized car, which makes the access problem worse, knackered hip or not.

Can we have a "things you really don't like..." thread?

The Mondeo has a flip-down tray underneath the headlight switch on the right-hand end of the dashboard. If the tray is left flipped-down the sharp cover removes a layer of skin from the driver's shin on entry, as the tray assembly resolutely won't move sideways when knocked. Three times I've done that now, painful it is too :/
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 18 Apr 12 at 19:00
>> >> Good car the Focus 1.6 T.D.C.I The titanic model.
>>
>> Sounds like the one where the cabin filter's been butchered by a main dealer resulting
>> in water ingress.
>>

Sounds like one which has been butchered by an "indie" or by the owner. Franchised dealers do things correctly.
>>Franchised dealers do things correctly.

Not in my experience.
 Things you really like about your car.... - RattleandSmoke
The little feature I like about mine is the inside light stays on for a few seconds after you have removed the key from the ignition. Very simple but clever idea.

The other I live is the chuck-ability you can easily have a bit of fun with tight corners. It just generally makes me smile where as I think the i10 just completely lacks what ever makes you smile its too clinical.

The Panda says you may be a poor git, but we have made it fun to drive.

The i10 says you may be a poor git, and everytime you pull behind a new shape Fiesta you're a reminded of that fact!
>> The Panda says you may be a poor git, but we have made it fun to drive.

Oh dear, poor me then! We'll probably buy a Panda out of choice - my wife doesn't want anything else. She doesn't even want the new Panda because Fiat have gone and made it substantially bigger and less, ahem, "cuddly".
 Things you really like about your car.... - DP
F30 320d ED

- Wonderfully accessible, 'real world' performance. 4th gear is actually grin inducing :-)
- Excellent fuel consumption in light of the above (if nowhere near that claimed)
- Superb driving position - wife is 5ft 4, I'm 6ft 2, and we can both get perfectly comfortable without reaching any of the adjustment limits.
- Best manual gearbox I've used in years
- Absolutely smitten with the exterior styling. Best looking new BMW in years, IMHO. Lovely details, particularly on the front end.

mk4 Golf GT TDI 130

- Reliable as the tides. Just works, day in day out. Starts first turn in all weathers and even when left for weeks at a time.
- Costs peanuts to own and run. 50 mpg all day long, very low unscheduled maintenance costs, cheap parts when it does go wrong, < £2k depreciation in 3 years.
- Lovely, gutsy, responsive PD engine which just punts the car along completely effortlessly
- A car that works well everywhere. Nippy and economical in town, long legged, effortless and gutsy on the motorway.
- One of the few cars that doesn't look out of place anywhere. You'd be happy to drive it to any event or occasion, or park it anywhere without it looking out of place.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 18 Apr 12 at 11:30
 Things you really like about your car.... - sajid
honda Jazz 1.4 idsi 2008 reg

The space

i actually bought some interior doors at b and q, they charged £20 to deliver, so i said to the fella let see if they fit in my car, folded the seats down and reclined the front one down so it went flat and got them in the car, result saved up £20!!

The Technology,

Loved the way honda placed the fuel tank in the front passenger side instead of the back, so you got a flat load area.

The Back seats go up as well like the one in the cinema ideal for placing a plant pot there.
Passenger sitting there are amazed at the space you get.

Twin spark plugs, it uses 8 spark plugs, to burn the fuel hotter so you get better fuel economy
I drove to manchester yesterday and the fuel economy read 52.7 MPG, i was driving at 60 mph, not bad for a petrol engine

Insurance cost,
Its a group 3 and i paid £333 full comprehensive where i live bb1 postcode the average is £1000 so a plus!

Reliability

Its a honda so far nothing gone wrong, obviously you can get cars more econmonical than the jazz but wat you save in the pumps you may pay more for the parts and labour should thing go wrong, thus losing out the saving made.

Little things that also makes a difference, like accord style instruments place a key in the igniton slot and the whole instrument binnacle lights up

Last edited by: sajid on Wed 18 Apr 12 at 13:30
The sunglasses compartment is in the middle above your head in my Vectra not on the side to bump your head like the Astra.

Things you really like about your car.... - Kithmo
Toyota Prius. £0 VED, low insurance, low cost servicing, 70mpg on a run from a 1.8 litre Petrol Automatic. I love all the technology, intelligent park assist, bluetooth etc.etc. and I particularly like stealth mode, when I can sneak up behind someone in a car park when running on battery then see the suprised look on their face. ;0)
 Things you really like about your car.... - RattleandSmoke
Well I had spent £6500 on one, so I had bought one by choice too :). I was slightly being sarcastic :).

But I am sure the general public think its just a toy noddy car without releasing how good it can be drive. My dad is always commenting on it if he has to drive after the i10 (which is rare).

I don't think I would buy the new shape one as I am not convinced the Italians can build cars.
Latest Forum Posts