Motoring Discussion > Road trip coming up. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 15

Road trip coming up. - R.P.
1015 ferry to Ireland tomorrow - bikes loaded up, the GS looks a might top heavy. Heading for Galway initially - see what the fair isle brings with it. Stop off in Morrisons on the way to the boat buy a 3 quid atlas, rip out the Irish pages and chuck the rest. Sat Nav programmed and GoPro camera mounted on the bike....

Need to be at the port by 930am - so can leave here at 845am very civilized.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 16 Apr 12 at 10:19
 Road trip comong up. - rtj70
>> and chuck the rest

In the recycling.... ;-)

Very civilised trip. Let us all know how it goes. I'd like to visit and Anglesey isn't far to get to. But cost of taking car over might make it expensive?
 Road trip comong up. - Fullchat
Enjoy. Hope the weather is good to you.

S.Ireland bike trip on the 'to do' list.
 Road trip coming up. - Meldrew
I recalled a charming Irish blessing, appropriate to your journey and, thanks to Google - how else - found it.

Blessing for Travelers.

May the road rise to meet you; may the wind be always at your back; may the sun shine warm upon your face. Until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Ride safe and enjoy your adventure.
 Road trip coming up. - devonite
Blessing for Travelers.

>>May the road rise to meet you; may the wind be always at your back; may the sun shine warm upon your face. Until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Hmm!...
may the wind be always at your back (pushing you faster than you intended),
may the sun shine warm upon your face. (your blinded by the Sun).
May the road rise to meet you; (your over the handle-bars)
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand. (your dead!! )

just tell me to enjoy myself ...please!!!
 Road trip comong up. - Dog
>> see what the fair isle brings with it<<

Rain by the looks of it :(
 Road trip comong up. - Fullchat
Progress report RP?
 Road trip comong up. - Zero
no tinterwebthingy in Ireland.
He's got an iPhone.... no excuse.
 Road trip comong up. - VxFan
If he's got no signal or wifi access then he has an excuse.
More likely a tight wad and won't pay for Internet overseas.... But he also has an Amazon Kindle with free Internet for basic access.

He's ignoring us. Too right. I hope the Guinness is tasting good.
 Road trip comong up. - R.P.
Good crossing from Holyhead on the HSS yesterday, an incredibly boring ride to Oranmore in Co Galway, good b&b last night, weather is much nasty today so probably bus it into Galway. 3 pints of Guinness for 10€ can't go wrong, hope the weather improves !

Quote of the day - "you're not as lost as you gthought you were"
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 17 Apr 12 at 08:24
 Road trip comong up. - Runfer D'Hills
Dive over into Co Fermanagh if you get near. Enniskillen and the lakes around are a wee gem.
 Road trip coming up. - Meldrew
Shame about the weather (are you surprised BTW?) Good news about the Guinness though - what news of the food and pub music = Ceilidh
Last edited by: Meldrew on Wed 18 Apr 12 at 18:05
 Road trip coming up. - TheManWithNoName
How are the small country lanes these days?
When I went to Eire about 12 years ago on a road trip they were huge holes joined together by small amounts of smooth tarmac.
 Road trip coming up. - R.P.
An excellent run out - weather was fine yesterday and today, good 75 mile run to the Ferry and home - Boat landed at 3.15pm back home and the kettle on by 4 !

Some observations.

The national fleet seems to be aging, cars in Holyhead were starkly newer and cleaner when we got home....

Roads were well maintained and tidy, seems to have been some big infrastructure investments over the last few years. Traffic levels were high in towns and peripheral motorways but the roads were degrees quieter in the sticks compared to the UK.

Very few big bikes in evidence, in fact very few bikes at all (at all). Apparently very expensive to buy and insure. Car tax is horrendous, a random check showed a bog standard Corsa cost an amazing 286 Euros to tax. Fuel marginally cheaper than the UK. Cost of living seems a little lower. Hotels seemed cheaper than the UK, free Wi-Fi is the norm and plenty of it in public spaces. Staff at different places were cheerful and helpful no surly service. Eastern European labour abounded.

TV scheds were full of British rubbish.

The GS was a peerless mount, quick safe and economical and despite its huge looks very subtle and easy to ride fully loaded in towns. A good mile muncher and a good pal.

My new TomTom Rider Sat Nav was very useful (this and a proper map) - Some nice touches on the TT including a blank screen option (battery saver for the mean 3 hour battery life) which only fires up before any new instructions. Good kit. My Hero GoPro mounted on the bike's crash-bar provided superb hi-res vids of the trip. I'll upload some clips to YouTube soon.

www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/7094388687/in/photostream

The GS this morning, lightly kitted out ! The TT is just visible, the Hero GoPro is mounted just forward of the cylinder on a crash bar.

Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 19 Apr 12 at 21:32
Latest Forum Posts