Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps Buying / Selling
Thread Author: nyx2k Replies: 34

Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - nyx2k
Does anyone have an insignia SRi as i need to know if its significany stiffer suspension and lower down than the SE or Elite.
Ive been offered a very good deal on a new SRi 160 deisel but want to know a little more before i organise a test drive.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - Meldrew
Top Gear road test said

"You can add Vauxhall’s Flexride to your Insignia too. It’s got three settings: Normal, Sport and Tour. Sport is obviously the most interesting, because it makes the dials glow a moody red. It firms up the damping too, helping to keep things controlled, even over gnarly cambers.

If you don’t fancy that, there’s the SRi package that was fitted to our test car, which confusingly, you can still spec with Flexride. It rides lower and is a touch firmer than standard, but suffers from tyre roar, thanks to ridiculously big 19-inch alloys. So if you do loads of motorway miles, you’re better off avoiding it."
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - mikeyb
I've had a few Insignia SRi's as hire cars and the ride was fine. I don't like the Insignia, but I would say that the ride quality was pretty good
the one they have in stock is on 17 inch alloys in SRi spec Hatchback. it should be ok maybe if only slightly stiffer.
why do they get bad press. is it fashionable to bash mainstream cars or are they really bad or shoddily built
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - Dave_
I've delivered a couple. I find them to be rather claustrophobic inside (high waistline, small windows esp. rear window) but then the same can be said for most of Vauxhall's current output.
>> the one they have in stock is on 17 inch alloys in SRi spec Hatchback.
>> it should be ok maybe if only slightly stiffer.
>> why do they get bad press. is it fashionable to bash mainstream cars or
>> are they really bad or shoddily built
>>

The ones I have driven felt quite solid and well built, but I just find them unattractive, and the visibility is pretty poor. The interior is a pretty dark place to be, except for the plastic painted silver.

I think the face-lift is also due so dealers will be keen to clear current stock
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - Clk Sec
>>Does anyone have an insignia SRi

I started an Insignia thread a while ago, and although a number of forum members said that they had driven various models, no-one actually owned one.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - DP
Rather nice car, IMHO. The 160 diesel goes very well, and I didn't find the SRI ride uncomfortable at all. Lovely interior.

Insignias were the standard issue car at my last place (either a 130 SE, 160 SRi or 160 Elite depending on grade).

Generally well liked by their drivers, but quite a few of them had repetitive electrical faults, and also gear change quality problems. One guy also had a drivers seat collapse which Vauxhall argued big time to get out of paying for. Not a large chap either - about 12 stone.

Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - rtj70
I had one as a hire car for about a week last summer. I didn't find it uncomfortable and the engine seemed strong/flexible. In fact I was fairly impressed. Most driving in it was to South Wales and back - down via the motorways and back via mid Wales and the A roads.

I didn't warm totally to the interior but that's a personal opinion. If I had one as my main car I probably wouldn't complain too much.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - Bigtee
Post your question here www.vectra-c.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=206

This section is for the Insignia. :-)
thanks for the input. i didnt know a facelift is due so that explains the price. i love the colour but its not that popular so looks like they want shot of it.
i rather like the interior. not as well built as a golf etc but not as drab and grey like a golf either.

managed to find a astra 160ps elite so full leather. going to get one of astra and insignia for a full day and try them both out i think.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - legacylad
Swmbo has one as her company car. Ecoflex model in Pomegranate Red. On a 10 plate and 60k miles. Not even had its 2nd service yet.Personally I really like the external styling & colour, but the cheap interior I find a big let down.
It is a lovely motorway cruiser and refuses to go slower than 90 apart from when average speed cameras are in operation. Computer indicated mpg from new shows 52, which is pretty good for a large, rapidly driven car.The gears have to be stirred in town driving and the quality of plastics leaves a lot to be desired, but then it is a lower grade repmobile.
She will not have another. My fault for recommending it.
thanks for the mini review. will get one on loan for a day and examine very closely build and plastics before i agree to buy one.

Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - -
Does the good Lady Nyx2k like driving the Insignia, i found them too big and cumbersome unable to tell where any of the extremeties were, similar to many oversized cars in this segment.

They seem very at home on the open road but would be too big for me with such poor visibility for normal runabout use, the mirrors especially with their poor shape and siting made manoeuvering guesswork.

edit...have i got things backwards?, for some reason i'm assuming this car is for the good lady, apologies if i've got that wrong.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 21 Apr 12 at 13:49
the car is for my wife. she loves my new xj but finds it too big
she has driven a friends insignia elite but had a good deal on an sri but she has hip problems so will get a test drive of the sri for a day or two. cant get an elite for a good deal.

will also get an astra elite for a day or so but it may be the astra as its a bit smaller.
managed to get a garage in portsmouth to give us both cars for 3days each for us to make a decision.
we were given the insignia today to test for a few days but just sent it back. loud tyres and 19ins wheels , very firm and seats too low for me and my wife.

will be getting an astra elite to test tomorrow and see if we like this better but its higher seat wise and on smaller wheels so should be better
It comes on 18" wheels as standard so this had optional ones. But if the seats are too low.... no point in trying it out for any longer I guess.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - legacylad
Swmbo has 17" wheels on her Ecoflex and the ride is fine. I 'only' have 18" on my 330 and would certainly not want anything larger than that. I'm not surprised it was a very firm ride, and like you, I would also find it unacceptable.
She initially commented that she sits lower in the Insignia than her previous Passat, but has now got used to it....probably a succession of Spitfires, MGBs & MGB GT's when she was younger means that she doesn't consider the seats too low!
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - VxFan
>> its higher seat wise and on smaller wheels so should be better

If its a higher seat position you want, why not go for a Zafira?
she thinks its just a few inches too low. she finds it too big i think, i think she'll go for an astra elite as she wants the leather heated seats etc
Any reason why you are only looking at Vauxhall? The astra size segment is probably the most competitive so plenty of good choices to look at
Higher up in a car.... how about going British? Qashqai? Evoque?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 23 Apr 12 at 20:16
she already has a c3 picasso and wanted to be a bit lower. we looked at all makes at around 20k but the vauxhall dealership was very willing to negoiate on price and these two cars were offed at a good discount.

she didnt like the focus but did like the astra elite and the vw golf match
Last edited by: nyx2k on Mon 23 Apr 12 at 21:00
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - Runfer D'Hills
My wife loves her Qashqai. Been no bother either. Seems to be holding its value reasonably enough too. Vauxhall might not do that bit so well. Seats are height adjustable enough to cope more than adequately with our 10" height difference. Might be worth a gander.
>>our 10" height difference

Didn't realise you were that much shorter - there's assumptions and Internet forums for you :-)

Seriously nyx2k should consider alternatives...What about a Skoda Yeti?
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - Runfer D'Hills
I've heard they're abominable.

Right, off now. Early start...

:-)
Apologies for taking this back to basics but let her consider fun stuff that she might want to keep driving? She might be okay with an Astra but might love a Lotus for example. Maybe get a car she really loves and continues to love to drive in a year from now. She might still need another larger car like say a Jaguar XJ to keep too.
my mum has a nissan quashqia "sp" but the front screen is raked too much and my wife can bend enough to get under the a pillar easily.

ive told her she can spend whatever she wants as its her money aswell.
id rather she keep the newish xj when im not around anymore but shes driven it lots of times and she finds it too big.

im going to see if i can get a golf match for a day or so as ive been told they ride and drive well.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - -
If the good lady likes a nice driving car and the budget isn't strictly limited, has BMW's 3 or even 1 series been considered, excellent proper autos if thats a consideration , lovely cars to drive.

Also consider Auris/Avensis...the formers looks are not to everyone taste but driving is pleasant so long as the smaller car doesn't have one of its smaller engines, Avensis has good auto, dealers usually impeccable....same goes for Civic.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 08:49
i never thought of a 3 series or even a 1. will find out the nearest BMW garage later.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - Pezzer
Probably Snows in Portsmouth just off the Eastern Road. If you look at a Beemer you will probably want an SE spec.
Last edited by: Pezzer on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 09:33
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - R.P.
1 Series will probably be more to her taste - you always seem to sit in rather on a seat in a three series....X1 has an usefully high configuration.
 Vauxhall Insignia - Insignia SRi 160 ps - WillDeBeest
Particularly so with a red leather interior, RP?

>> im going to see if i can get a golf match for a day or
>> so as ive been told they ride and drive well.
>>

I had a Golf Bluemotion last week for a day - did 160 miles in it over 2.5 hours and was very impressed - felt very solid and competent on the motorway - nice ride quality. Was also impressed with the 68mpg average showing on the trip computer.

Downsides are it felt a little basic, but this was the basic model - others further up the line may feel more luxurious
ive got a golf match coming in the morning for 24hrs. the spec seems good with all the toys the same as an astra elite but no leather unless i pay 1.2k more. it looks a bit boring but she wants comfort as well but the 105 hp may no be enough to excite her.
Latest Forum Posts