Motoring Discussion > M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 25

M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Zero
Baked Beans shut the M11

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-17788007
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - R.P.
Wind damage...?
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Dutchie
Well done for the lorry driver taking evasive action.Better beans on the road than dead people.
Better dead baked beans than dead human beans...?
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Armel Coussine
I use that road sometimes. Quite heavily used, a lot of it 2-lane and narrow, plenty of eager-beaver commuters and white van men jousting along at 90-odd. I quite like the M11 but it isn't relaxing.
I asked for advice on the road back in 2008 - everything that was said about it then was true - can be a jostle, but useful route to avoid the nether regions of the M1
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Harleyman
>> Well done for the lorry driver taking evasive action.Better beans on the road than dead
>> people.
>>

True; but if he'd strapped his load instead of letting the side curtains do it, there might well have been a darn sight less mess to clear up.
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Armel Coussine
>> a darn sight less mess to clear up.

Yeah, all those bent tins you used to get in the Indian and Pakistani supermarkets in North Kensington...
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - -
Well noted HM, i wonder if the truck driver will be prosecuted for insecure load.
Its a shed load of beans....
Mostly has-beans.
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - wotspur
Just wonder if a lorry has ever crashed whilst carrying his load of sheds to a destination ? Then it really would be a shed load of sheds strewn across the road.
Weirdest thing I saw on a motorway was a bull on the M25 at junction 8, fortunately just by the intersection, so cars could go up and over, still caused long delays
>> Well noted HM, i wonder if the truck driver will be prosecuted for insecure load.

He's Toast.
he's going to end up in a stew
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Pat
Exactly HM

I had a long and irate discussion in my session yesterday afternoon about trailer curtains NOT being used as load restraint.
I asked the question about a load of baked beans on a flat trailer ( unaware at the time of the M11 incindent)

We used to put on two sheets, rope between each pallet to keep them tight and then put a fly sheet on top of that...as you know!

But still drivers insist upon closing the curtains and trusting to luck.

I shall print that report off before we start again at 6am and we'll recap on yesterdays discussion, I think!

Pat
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Harleyman

>>
>> We used to put on two sheets, rope between each pallet to keep them tight
>> and then put a fly sheet on top of that...as you know!
>>
>> But still drivers insist upon closing the curtains and trusting to luck.
>>

I'm glad I don't have to rope and sheet any more; though I'm also glad that I was in the industry at the time when you had to learn. Like crash boxes and double de-clutching it's one of those skills that is dying out through lack of need, but can nonetheless get you out of a deep hole occasionally.

According to the rumour mill, VOSA are clamping down on badly secured loads, and not before time. Five or ten minutes spent securing the job properly is well invested, saves a load of hassle later in the day.

M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Iffy
Beggars belief anyone - let alone a trained lorry driver - would think the side curtain could secure anything.

Trouble is Iffy, curtain manufacturers put little signs on the bottom outside of a curtain which says things like 'load bearing' or 'armoured curtain'.

Anyone walking into the job with a licence in their hands with the ink still wet, is going to believe that.

Once they believe it, you have the situation I had yesterday with two old hands telling me ' I've never strapped canned goods in a taut liner, and I've never lost a load yet'.

It was worth spending a few minutes Googling for some better pictures and printing them at 4.30am,

At 6am we started the session with a re-cap on the consequences of using tault liner curtains as a load restraint;)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sat 21 Apr 12 at 17:24
Here's a link to the photo I found showing the curtain ripped off from the top runners and lying on the floor.
It also shows the load is not strapped at all.

i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/Veeeight/25114.jpg

Pat
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Bromptonaut
Quite surprised that driver has any discretion. Would have thought tie down would either be SoP dictated by company or not.
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Dutchie
So am I Brompt,what are the rules or regulations if there are any carrying cargo under tarpaulin.
>> So am I Brompt,what are the rules or regulations if there are any carrying cargo
>> under tarpaulin.
>>

In practice out of sight out of mind rather too often, as seen above which as usual gets the good drivers who do the job properly tarred with the usual brush..

The curtain will take a fair amonut of weight, but a bit of sense as with nearly everything needs to be applied, if you're carrying packaging or other light goods it would be almost impossible to lose the load so a sensible driver would cross strap the rear and use judgement along the sides, maybe strapping the odd pallet that looks a bit dodgy.

For heavy stuff like the load that was lost then blindingly obvious the curtain isn't going to stand massive unforgiving weight being hurled against the sides.

A pallet of tinned goods might as well be a block of iron, theres no give in it and once a ton solid mass pallet x 26 start moving then there isn't much going to stop it.....the art is in preventing the load from gaining that initial movement
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 23 Apr 12 at 14:38
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - L'escargot
It's the thought of all those beans going to waste which concerns me the most!

"Baked beans are one of the best things humans can eat."
tinyurl.com/co3b332
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - zookeeper
recomended by my diatrician , its the sugar in them what does the damage, drain the sauce off and your laughing
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - Clk Sec
Or buy the low sugar, low salt alternative and save yourself a messy job.
 M11 shut by a lorry load of beans. - diddy1234
beans, beans, good for your heart.
The more you eat, the more you f.....

Looks like the lorry driver had his weetabix this morning.
Latest Forum Posts