Motoring Discussion > Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 79

Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - R.P.
Came home this morning after a night out on the tiles.....the pup has chewed one of the X1's keys (left on a window sill) - not happy with having chewed the casing (which is easily replaced) he's broken one of the switches on the PCB......oh well off to the BMW indie down the road tomorrow see what can be done....
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/7103330913/in/photostream
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - Zero
Aw Bless.
Mine ate my best fluke multimeter once, but I managed to wean her over to Nicoles shoes.
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - Dog
No such thing as bad Dogs - only bad owners.

;}
Possibly not..
it was a protest.
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - Runfer D'Hills
Erm, how much do replacement BMW keys sort of cost?...
There's a second hand one going for £190 quid on a BIN on fleabay....so not cheap is the answer.
Baaaaad dog !!!
We left our Cocker in the flat when we lived in London, came home to find he'd chewed a cassette tape up, chewed the bottom of a rather nice sculpture (which we still have) and smashed another nice sculpture of Adonis.

We had gorn to see Mutiny with David Essex :(
So that was two crimes against Art then ?!
He wasn't really the arty type Pugley, unless it was edible.
I was thinking more of David Essex
We were out on the bikes today. There's a little stream to cross on one of the forest routes we followed today. Done it many times before and normally it's nothing much, usually only 2 or 3 feet wide and shallow enough to ford if you keep up some momentum.

Anyway, today, after all the rain we've been having since the southerners banned hosepipes the wee burn was more of an aspiring river. However, not to be daunted I said I'd go first...

Well I got through ( indeed so did we all ) but shall we say I wasn't the driest when I reached the other side.

The point though ( as you must by now be wondering if you haven't already given up reading ) is that it shortly afterwards occured to me that I had the key to the Qashqai which had got us and the bikes to the forest in my now drenched breeks pocket.

It did cross my mind that the key may not have benefitted greatly from this and may have been damaged. Thank goodness on later returning to the car it didn't seem to have suffered any ill effects.

I wonder if they can stand water immersion or maybe I was just lucky?

I'll test the question with the other remaining key now...:-)
Sure now, that moight be a bad oidea Patrick...

:-)

>> It did cross my mind that the key may not have benefitted greatly from this
>> and may have been damaged. Thank goodness on later returning to the car it didn't
>> seem to have suffered any ill effects.
>>
>> I wonder if they can stand water immersion or maybe I was just lucky?

They are actually pretty resilient (except renault keys of course). The electronics is a sealed unit on most, with external buttons.
Thanks to the dog I now know that......what annoys me is the fact that a micro-switch (the locking switch) has been broken in the process....
Go on then Rob. Zero says it'll be fine...

Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - zookeeper
Oh what a circus
I think he means david Essex is a crime against art.

David Essex went to the same school as my mum!
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - MD
Rob. There is a private guy down here who is the Bees Knees regarding Keys. He is mobile and is so well equipped it would make your eyes water. Genuine quiet unassuming chap. It may be worth a call to him to see if it could be sorted by him via post. He rescued both van keys for me without going near the vehicle. It could be worth a call. He wouldn't thank me for publicly outing his number, but if you do want it I could ask him if it's OK.

Regards............Martin.
Do you mind e-mailing it me on my Mod's address Martin ? Thanks a lot.
I will call him tomorrow and ask him first if that's OK.
Ta.
Have left him a message and will expect a call tonight.
Done some work on it today - there are two solutions.

1. Repairing the switch on the PCB and re-casing - costs not an awful lot.

2. Replacing the whole shooting match - costs a small fortune - not much change from 300
3/ Shooting and/or replacing the dog? ( quite difficult to repair the dog though )

That was mooted today - wasn't actually well received.
I threaten my dog with far worse most days. He just looks at me, head on one side and "asks" for a treat. Of course I give in but he knows, I know he knows...

Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - Dutchie
You're soft Humph.I am don't have a dog now maybe in future.The two cats keep me busy.Vet keeps telling me off, the older cat is to fat.She is fifteen now haven't got the hart not to feed her when she is peckish.
Haha! - even the ole woman didn't fall in to begin with :)
For some odd reason he got married in a Church a few miles from here a couple of years ago..
He looks good with no hair, more mature like - I'd never actually pay to go and see him btw.

I used to get free tickets to various shows from some customers when I was in the car tuning game.

We lived within walking distance of London Weekend Television so that was handy (as was the bar upstairs!!)
Is that the studio on the Thames ?
Yep, that's the one: g.co/maps/5krya
Been there for meetings a few times years ago. I was very loosely connected with an in retrospect rather embarrassing TV programme called "Gladiators" for those who can remember that ! Contenders ready...

On the south bank
Ah yes.
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - devonite
Thats the trouble with Spaniels! - they get so keyed-up when left on their own!
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - nyx2k

my spaniel ate a vintage 1970's leather jacket i bought last week for £300.
not very happy but it will teach me to hang things up before i leave her alone for 5hrs.
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - Dutchie
We used to have a ginger Tom lovely cat.He didn't like our leather suit.Scratches and more scratchers.Our own fault should have bought a non leather.
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - Armel Coussine
For some much-needed thread drift, let's hear it for Pussy Riot, a Russian all-girl punk band who called on the blessed virgin to get rid of Vladimir Putin in one of their songs.

Some of the members have been snaffled by the forces of order and are still incommunicado. Now the poor girls have been anathemized by the Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church in all his pomp.

Pussy Riot! Yeah!
Well, seems that the (PCB) it is repairable - the "tactile switch" the little git chewed through is replaceable - which is more than can be said for his tail...
B**** (the Key) has not replied yet. Slightly annoying, but he is still the man for the job, but I guess there is only so much down time one can suffer.

The most unassuming man I have met. Apparently he worked alone, but with a large young family he needed a regular income and became employed designing systems for the trade. He only works now out of hours AFTER his long day (50 miles each way) using a small motorbike to get there taking in the M5 for at least 20 of those miles!!!! His kit (mobile) is a sight for sore eyes. Nuff said. He gets my vote and a few more from this way too. If he responds and I think he will, I will revert PU. He is probably snowed under.
I'll wait MD before engaging this other guy..
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - VxFan
Next time he asks to borrow the car, maybe you'll let him ;o)
Lesson 1

Take the dog with you.
He wouldn't have enjoyed the event I'd gone to but he could have driven I suppose.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 23 Apr 12 at 21:33
>> He wouldn't have enjoyed the event

Thats not the point, you know that with dogs.

He has just called. He says he will not get involved with BMW keys because their service is so cheap and that he "cannot" buy the parts (and he has access to parts at the top of his trade) that they (BMW) can do the job for. I mentioned the £300.00 in one of your previous posts and he said just this. "He is using the wrong BMW dealer." I can't add to that. He also said that the postal thing is dooable in most cases and normally he wouldn't turn down any work, but BMW are cheap in this scenario. Over to you Sir.
Well - I was too scared to phone them ! I need to contact them tomorrow to get the "Winters" swapped out - so I may just take a chance !

Thanks Martin.
I thought they (Bob Marley Wheels) had quoted the £300.00!!! and all this time you hadn't approached them??
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - -
Good point from Martin about the price of keys.

When we needed a second key for an E46 coupe, our local indy sourced a new one from the main dealer for around £80 if my memory serves, about 3 years ago.

You key might be in a different league of course.
It's not what you know.................
indeed Martin...and whilst you are there...hows that nipper and mum doing?
Chipper and Chipper and thanks for asking. Some memory young Man. I've ordered his Catapult, Air rifle, Fishing rod and Rugby shirt. His Dad thinks football, but he remains to be Ejumacated!!
''I've ordered his Catapult, Air rifle, Fishing rod and Rugby shirt. ''

wot no scalextric or train set for the winter evenings...poor Mar...sorry...poor little mite..:-)
Can't get his license for a while can he. Driving and all that Jazz. Not like one of his Grandpas...........1.6 Vitesse at 16yo.................oops.
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - swiss tony
The going rate for keys on various makes seems to be £200 - £250.
Brand new blanks (supply your own blade - which I can) cost a 191 quid on e-bay.....
Too much.
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - WillDeBeest
Bad form, I know, to make fun of typos, so sorry about this, but...

...He didn't like our leather suit.

Dutchie as Mrs Peel. Perhaps the cat had a point.
};---)
£138 quid - Programmed to the car ! Bargain (well almost)
Thats not bad for a new model, where is that from RP?

PS suggest the dog goes on Chappie till he's paid for it..:-)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 10:45
I'm loath to admit that from Halliwell Jones tht BMW dealer in Conwy ......they're also picking my summer wheels up on Thursday..
Another mythbuster then, premium makes are not always the most expensive when things break.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 11:04
The only other "smart" key I bought was for a work Honda - that was a simple old fashioned key to look at -250 notes around five years ago.

The irony of my situation is/was that I had key cover on my car policy up until renewal last year.....

Anyway just renewed the bike insurance and included key cover....!
My experience too, GB. The Volvo breaks boot struts, which are gas springs. The warranty covered the first two but the next one was mine and I bought it from the dealer parts desk. Allparts near my office is good for bulbs but wanted nearly twice as much for the strut, and a special delivery fee on top. When the next one goes, and it's showing signs now, I know where I'll be going.

Not just parts; servicing and repairs too. I had the DMF done by a spit'n'sawdust independent but it was inconvenient and hardly bargain-priced. For the intercooler last year the dealer's 'Club Six' rates for older cars like mine made it no more expensive, and much more pleasant and convenient.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 11:29
Agreed WDB,i hope you will find should you need parts then MB are usually surprisingly reasonably priced, another good thing with them is that with many things you can buy the part that is actually broken and not have to buy the whole fitting.

Of course this doesn't apply to my model and front ball joints, oh no siree not likely, as with every car i buy i have the odd model, the one with irreplaceable (£13) ball joints, mine are complete wishbones now @ £300 apiece for genuine...my car now has Lemforder copies at half the cost and one has had to be replaced after 2 years so half price might well mean half quality....i always without fail end up with a changeover model meaning parts are an expensive problem.

As an aside seeing as we've nicked the thread a bit (most unusual here-:), be thankful you haven't chosen a late air suspension MB, some of which again have bottom ball joints permanently fitted to the strut @, are you seated, a grand a side.
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - swiss tony
>> As an aside seeing as we've nicked the thread a bit (most unusual here-:), be
>> thankful you haven't chosen a late air suspension MB, some of which again have bottom
>> ball joints permanently fitted to the strut @, are you seated, a grand a side.
>>
Blimey... do you know a cheap stockist?
Nearer £1200 a leg plus fitting....
I think mine might have some kind of fancy suspension. It sort of hitches itself up at the back very slowly when you load it up. I had thought I might buy it from my employer when it has done its tour of duty in a couple of years or so and ask to go on an allowance deal but if out of warranty repairs were going to be in that sort of league then I might just reconsider that.

Just remembered why I bought a mainstream car when I was funding my own. Never spent much on that other than consumables and servicing. Even then it wasn't too scary.
That'll be the self-levelling, Humph. All E estates have it, even those with steel springs like 'mine' and, I expect, yours. The Airmatic option is vastly expensive and I've not even seen it on any of the used Es I've perused - and there have been a lot of them.
Oh OK. How does that work then, the self-levelling thingy?
Pixies
Ah ! Those will be those wee german pixies which ignore me when I try to give them voice commands. Little gits.
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - Number_Cruncher
>>That'll be the self-levelling, Humph

And is, in my opinion, the reason to buy an MB estate over a Volvo.

It's a hydraulic system which not only allows the rear suspension to be soft enough to actually work as a proper suspension, but also keep rear ride height,and hence headlamp aim correct as you load the car up.

The largest risk is having the system serviced by people who don't know about the system - the parts which look like dampers are not damper - they're just hydraulic rams. The damping is done elsewhere in the hydraulic system.

The system has some steel coil springs in parallel with the hydraulic struts - the springs almost carry the unladen weight of the rear end of the car - so the car will tend to settle a bit.

When the system is level, the hydraulic pump is unloaded, so, it doesn't cause much of a power loss. It's only a slow acting, low displacement, pump anyway, the system can't react quickly.
Thanks NC.
 Bad Dog (well not actually Dog...) - Iffy
Pal of mine had a late 70s Merc limo.

The rear suspension fought back under load, although I don't know how it worked.
>> Blimey... do you know a cheap stockist?
>> Nearer £1200 a leg plus fitting....
>>

Absolutely scandalous.

Luckily as you say good later E's like wot WDB has treated himself to are much more durable and repairable at fair cost.

If its of any interest ST, i was reading a thread on the forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/
about the struts on the ABC (is it?) equipped SL so presumably CL and S as well, it would appear one enterprising workshops has found a way of refurbing these things by repacking the joint with some sort of hard wearing material*...quite how good the refurb is and how long it will last i couldn't say but might be an interesting peruse for you if you can find the thread...from my memory or whats left of it say 6 to 12 months ago.

I'm not too sure about it either TBH, but might be of interest to you.
Latest Forum Posts