Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Brentus Replies: 35

Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Brentus
My Daughter has just ordered the new Polo. I went with her for the test drive and i must say was pleasantly suprised. She fancied the 1.4 petrol, i steered her to the newer engined 1.2TSi. Specs showed improved performance and mpg etc. However you could only order it with the top of range SEL spec, also she wanted extra's to this. I negotiated what i thought was a good price. My suprise was the time for delivery 20 weeks.

What,s your comments have i chose the better engine. What about the delivery time. Anyone know of any problems.

By the way good to see many of you here from HJ site.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Zero
let me know how that ones goes, the wife is looking at getting one of those in a years time.
Sure will.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - RattleandSmoke
Very powerful engines for their small displacement. Lets just hope they are reliable long term.

I've noticed that VWs are becoming better value for money all the time compared with Ford and Vauxhall.
I must admit i thought it was a class act both inside the cabin and the coachwork. The drive was unbelievable for the size of engine. This may well be the way manufactures are going ?.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - crocks
Looks like F1 will move from 2.4 litre engines to 1.5 litre turbos from 2013.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - rtj70
Back to 1.5 turbos for F1. I bet they don't do 1500bhp this time with them though.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Skoda
Nice car!

Delivery times across the VAG group are excessive right now across most models (certain Audi A4's are really badly hit), with certain engines (1.4TSI, 1.9 PD TDI -- to be fair it's being phased out) being absurdly long waits.

Couple that with the recent shortage of fancy touchscreen head units and some customers have been waiting 3 months plus.

The good news is wait times are currently recovering. I'm finally due to take delivery of a Skoda Octavia this coming Friday, order placed wayyyy back in the middle of February and my wait was, it's fair to say, average. Some folks have waited much longer.

P.s. the 1.2 TSI is a really decent engine!
Last edited by: CraigP on Tue 27 Apr 10 at 01:41
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - idle_chatterer
SWMBO has the 1.4TSi in her Golf VI and it's a fantastic little engine with plenty of low down torque, good performance and impressive fuel economy - we chose it over the 140 CR TD, mainly because of the need to do short journeys and a consequent desire to avoid a DPF. Ideally we'd have liked a 1.8TSi Golf but that's only available in the Octavia in the UK.

We had to take a pretty much standard car from dealer stock though to avoid a 5 month wait.

I haven't driven the 1.2TSi but would expect it to be similarly impressive, VAG do some great engines now, even their diesels are acceptable since they've moved away from the coarse and peeky PDs beloved by so many who I'd have to ask whether they've actually experienced CR alternatives.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Zero
>> coarse and peeky PDs beloved by so many who I'd have to ask whether they've
>> actually experienced CR alternatives.

Ask away. I have had one of the best of the CR, The renault 1.9 DCi and a VW 1.9PD.

Poles aprt. The PD 1.9 105ps is noisy and a little rough but peaky? not a bit of it. Felt equally as powerful and tractable as my 120bhp 1.9 DCi,

The Dci was much quieter and smooth with better fuel economy, but the PD was as equally liked and appreciated.

I would go as far as to say the everyone on here who has driven a VW PD unit has driven a CR unit as well. you cant knock the VW unit.

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Apr 10 at 12:11
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - idle_chatterer
>>
>> I would go as far as to say the everyone on here who has driven
>> a VW PD unit has driven a CR unit as well. you cant knock the
>> VW unit.
>>

Not sure I can entirely agree, but my comments pertain to the dreadful (there - I've said it) 2.0 PD, the 170 PS version in particular which in my experienced was incredibly peaky (dangerously gutless below 1800rpm), very thirsty (sub 40mpg) and drank ludicrously expensive oil.

10 years ago I had the 115ps 1.9PD in a Golf and at the time it was very powerful for its capacity, economical (50mpg) and (as you say) wasn't peaky - a close cousin of the 105PS version you mention. But even then is was 'gruff' compared to the Peugeot HDi engines which were around.

Some friends of ours have the 105PS version in an 09 Jetta, you can hear their car coming from the other end of our (short) road and when inside the thing you are never in any doubt as to the heavy oil motor. Not something you can say about SWMBOs previous Civic CTDi or my BMW - both CR of course (or should that be coarse).
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Tue 27 Apr 10 at 13:51
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Boxsterboy
My mother-in-law took delivery of her new Polo last month.

She wanted automatic (DSG), which meant the older (1.4) engine and apparently only available in SEL trim which meant 17" alloys. They look smart, but pensioners are more interested in the more practical things in life like a softer ride - they tried to get the dealer to swap the wheels for a smaller size, but no joy.

So far the biggest issue with her has been:

1. The side air-vents have smart chrome surrounds. Which reflect badly in the door mirrors.

2. My father in law insists on unlocking the car door with the key, rather than use the remote (don't ask!). Unlocking thus means (i) that if the key isn't put in the ignition within 15 secs the alarm goes off (ii) only the drivers door is unlocked. It would be soo much easier of they used the remote ...

The thing seems very nicely assembled.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - mikeyb
SWMBO has a Sharan with the 1.9 130 PD engine, and I have a citroen C5 with the 1.6 HDi engine.

I like the PD unit - it is nice and revy for a diesel, but the HDi unit is way ahead in terms of refinement and the power delivery is more linear
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Oldgit
>> So far the biggest issue with her has been:
>>
>> 1. The side air-vents have

SQ

Hardly big issues these, are they. A silly old codger who won't use the car's features as intended i.e. the remote blipper for closing/opening the doors - hardly VW's fault.
My new MK6 Golf also has shiny air vent surrounds that reflect in the side windows - I think you mean but after a few months you won't notice it.
Try and keep your worries to the really important things that can develop and most probably will in the months to come (or maybe not).
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 28 Apr 10 at 00:28
Yes, Oldgit I know they are not big issues. My post was a little tongue-in-check in that:
1. My in-laws requirements from a car are very basic.
2. It's the little things that can annoy people who have little 'mechanical sympathy'.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - DP
>> Ask away. I have had one of the best of the CR The renault 1.9
>> DCi and a VW 1.9PD.

Same here. I had the 120 bhp Renault dCi and currently the 130 bhp 1.9 PD TDI.

The Renault engine blew the VAG unit into the weeds for noise, vibration and harshness (or lack thereof). It was uncannily smooth, very quiet, and would pull right to its limiter without any rumble or growling. A much more linear delivery than the VW engine, and much happier being pushed to 4000 RPM plus.

The VW engine is coarser, gruffer and vibrates a lot more through the gearlever and pedals. But it has a muscular delivery and pull from low to medium revs that would leave the Renault unit standing. It feels far more than 10 bhp up on the Renault unit, and its fuel economy is also massively impressive. I still can't believe an engine which can shove you so firmly back into the seat, and give the traction control such grief in the lower gears can also return a genuine 60 mpg when driven more sedately.

Both great engines, but in very different ways. Something that could combine the Renault's sweetness and wide useable rev range with the VW's sheer grunt and economy would be very special indeed.

The higher powered PD's are peaky, but up to and including the 130 1.9 / 140 2.0, they are tractable and very useable.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 27 Apr 10 at 22:08
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Avant
"Something that could combine the Renault's sweetness and wide useable rev range with the VW's sheer grunt and economy would be very special indeed."

Quite a good description of the CR unit in my Octavia vRS. When you get an opportunity, DP, try one: I think you might be impressed. It hasn't got the sudden grunt of the PD, but the strong linear progression more than makes up for that.
>> "Something that could combine the Renault's sweetness and wide useable rev range with the VW's
>> sheer grunt and economy would be very special indeed."
>>

Doesn't the Ford/PSA 1.6 HDI qualify? Very sweet, wide rev range, economical. Perhaps not quite the grunt of the VW.
Thanks for that Craig.
It seems that the Polo is not a bad car at all. Let's hope the engine stands the test of time.

When i had the Passat by the way the 1.9tdi pd engine 130 horses . I thought was brilliant , really.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - mattbod
I have heard that the 1.2 TSI is a great little engine, pulling well even in a Skoda Yeti ( and I hear that they are putting it in the Octavia too). It is a single cam, two valve per cylinder engine which is rare in this day and age but, along with the turbo should do wonders for the low down torque. I may look at one on the Skoda Fabia as Volkswagen only offer the engine in their £15K plus SEL model and can't afford that!

Not driven one yet, anyone got any driving impressions?
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - mattbod
Oh and the 130PD is certainly not peaky: very flexible engine and the softer 105 bhp even more so. Agree about the refinement problems but feels unburstable like my little FIAT FIRE engine in my first UNO and the 1.1 TU in my previous 106. I have nor driven a CR but passengered in them. I have a friend on Briskoda who has upgraded from a Fabia VRS to an Octavia VRS and he says that the 2.0 CR feels gutless in comparison even if it's much quicker thanks to the more even delivery: very sweet engine though. Has anyone driven the 1.6 CR? I was wondering if it is a viabe alternative to the little tsi motr in the Fabia.

Only thing with CR is the questionmark over reliability and the expense if things go wrong. I think that although the PDs unit injectors are fearsomely expensive too, if you maintain the engine well, they should last hundreds of thousands of miles, not heard of anyone who has had to replace them.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - NeilS
>>Not driven one yet, anyone got any driving impressions?

There are some very happy 1.2 TSi Yeti owners in Skoda forums. In the latest edition of CAR magazine (a decent enough rag) they rate the Polo very highly, smooth, very quiet, quick and torquey - the only negative they come up with is as mentioned by others here that it is only available in the more expensive SEL version.

On delivery times - I've recently ordered a Skoda Superb and it is 16 weeks which is not great! The dealer says that it is not just Skoda but a lot of VAG cars are on very long lead times and especially those with DSG and panoramic roofs as options as these are in really short supply.
Well picked the car up on Thursday. Its a beauty she chose nimbus grey. Very nicely fitted out. Nice coachwork. Drove home 28 miles. Just before getting home i could smell burning through the side vents. When we got out i could smell some burning, lifted bonnet all ok. I have to say the engine compartment was unnervingly hot. The car drove beautifully daughter well pleased.

Delivery. Strange never heard a thing from dealer so i chased up. Told car has been made. Told could be another month before arriving in UK. 2 days later dealer rang to say ready to pick up. Salesman tod me when leaving that delivery times now are 6 months.

Looking at other posts, it looks as though a few manufacturers seem to be moving to longer delivery times.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - RattleandSmoke
I don't get that. My Panda is made in Poland (Tychy) and the plastics in the trims date suggest it was made in very late April 2010, it was registered in my name on the 7th of May. So it took just a week from coming out the factory to be being registered.

Really cannot understand how it could possibly take a month to get a car from Germany into the UK.
Rattle neither did i. VW con i reckon by the dealer. By the way they told me the polo was made in South Africa. Glad it didnt make a noise like them vuvezalia things.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Dog
>>By the way they told me the polo was made in South Africa<<

Fiats from Poland, VeeDubs from S.A., MG Rovers from China, reminds me of a pub down the ole kent rd,
The World turned upside down!
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Berisford
So 20 weeks turned out to be 12, not bad.

We ordered a Golf 4 weeks ago with a 20 week lead time, I'll be well happy if it comes in 12.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Skoda
Cracking looking cars :-)

What did the burning smell turn out to be?
Brand new engines often smell like something is burning after the first run - I think it is the paint or surface coatings getting hot for the first time.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - DP
>> Brand new engines often smell like something is burning after the first run - I
>> think it is the paint or surface coatings getting hot for the first time.

The old Cosworth Scorpios were the best. They would actually smoke from underneath after their first long-ish run. Apparently the cats (3 of them, IIRC) used to get so hot they'd burn off any stray paint or underseal in the immediate vicinity the first few times they hit working temperature.

I remember driving a spanker out of the compound (2 miles on the clock) and taking it 30 miles away to another dealer. I pulled over a couple of miles into the trip and investigated, such was the stench of burning from underneath the car. It was then I noticed the smoke pouring out of it. And no, I wasn't thrashing it.

Brand new cars are pretty horrible anyway. They don't even begin to drive properly until they've done a good 1500 miles in my experience.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Bill Payer
>> We ordered a Golf 4 weeks ago with a 20 week lead time, I'll be
>> well happy if it comes in 12.
>>

Bonkers. Wonder if it's the same in other European countries?

Pick a VW dealer in the US and Golf is in stock (although not in the numbers of other models).
Craig not been in it since. Daughter reports no problems i reckon the burning smell must have been the electrics, paint etc wearing in as posted above. Point of note i notice the daylight running lights are not led's. The wife came in other day after having a drive said it was brill can she have one.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Auntie Lockbrakes
Lovely car the Polo. Long waiting times presumably mean the chance of a discount are zilch?!

Saw a Top Gear article the other day, rating the new Polo as more fuel-efficient in the real world than a BMW 118d and a Prius!
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - Londoner
>> Long waiting times presumably mean the chance of a discount are zilch?!
- NickinNZ @ Mon 19 Jul 10 22:04

Good point, Nick. This is the kind of thing that puts me off the so-called "popular" cars.

The ideal is to find a good 'un that is still under the radar because it is considered unfashionable for some reason. You used to be able to do that with Skodas, but everyone has now caught on to how good they are. The Mondeo was a bit of a dark horse for a while as well, but it's sheer breadth of talent is getting it well-known again.

As for the Polo, I'm sure that it is a fine car, but I'm not really into the VW brand. They always seem overpriced to me, and stylistically challenged in their bread-and-butter models.
 Volkswagen Polo V - New Polo just ordered - 832ark
>> Very powerful engines for their small displacement. Lets just hope they are reliable long term.

Really? 86bhp per litre from a turbocharged motor sounds a bit pathetic to me. Honda were knocking out naturally aspirated motors with 100bhp per litre over 20 years ago
Latest Forum Posts