Motoring Discussion > Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners Buying / Selling
Thread Author: nyx2k Replies: 36

Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - nyx2k
Looking at other cars my wife has taken a fancy to a Citroen 1.6 TD 110 HP.
it has a nice soft ride for he hip and back problems and in top spec has lots of toys to play with and she'll get the Leather aswell.

Anybody own or driven one of the new shape c4's.
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Armel Coussine
I didn't know there was a new shape. But I did briefly drive an earlyish C4 with that engine and liked it a lot: comfortable, brisk and refined, lolloped over speed bumps a treat.
we were told the new shape is about 15 months old. she has a c3 picasso now and the px price was good and the price to change was fairly good aswell
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - DP
Drove this engine in the old shape C4 and it is a peach.
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - WillDeBeest
Do current Citroëns have proper instrument dials, like the DS5 we discussed the other day? The clock-on-the-mantelpiece panel put me off the C4 Picasso, and the extra twisting it causes would not be ideal for someone with back problems.
it has dual digital and analoge dials in a normal binacle like normal cars. can be dimmed or change colour.
her c3 picasso has the digital clock and her c4 grand picasso before that, in centre of dashboard and she finds it easier to read than an analouge dial.

the iterior in the cream trim with cream leather is very welcoming as she doesnt like all black but there are few cars offering non black interiors.
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Focusless
HJ gives it 3 stars: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/citroen/c4-2011/

Worth noting perhaps "Relatively crude suspension not in the same class as the Focus or Golf".

EDIT: although "Comfortable and quiet on the move"
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 25 Apr 12 at 17:21
>> "Relatively crude suspension not in the same class as the Focus or Golf".

Nothing wrong with crude if it works properly, and in the early example I drove it seemed to. But I didn't go fast in it or do any road miles, just a pootle through London's demanding Livingstone-jiggered streets. Comfortable and quiet, with no tendency to bottom over speed bumps or scrape its chin on the ground (which my present car will do if you aren't careful).
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Runfer D'Hills
Sounds nice. Always liked Citroens. Only ever had one though and that was a Xantia donkey's years ago. Surprisingly good car. Funny seating position though. Felt like you were on the floor. New ones are uncharted territory for me but the C4 looks good. I think, though I may be wrong, that it might be a more pleasing thing than an Astra.

I was chatting to a young lady today funnily enough who about 5 years ago bought a then new sporty model Astra. She says it never thrilled her and it lost a big chunk in depreciation when she sold it on. She has an Audi TT convertible now which she loves but she says she feels a Mini Cooper S coming on...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 25 Apr 12 at 17:28
Not relevant for the OP but HJ mentions that the C4 petrol engines were co-developed with BMW, who use them in various MINIs.
i presume the 110hp diesels are ford/psa derived.

it was pretty nippy and with the cream interior looked very nice we thought.

she liked the softer suspension over the astra. we dont worry about future value as she's only interested in the comfort and usability aspect.
she wanted the egs model but tried the egs and couldnt get used to it so then tried a 6speed manual which felt very smooth

If egs is a semi-automatic transmission, like the one I tried on a Golf GTD, then it's pretty horrible in slow urban traffic although it felt as if it would be all right at higher speeds.

Manual every time (although 6 speeds are too many really unless it's something incredibly sporting with a very narrow power band).
i couldnt get into 6th gear until over 55 mph so just for motor ways i would think
Even a motorway has to be a clear one for sixth to be comfortable; you don't want to be alternating between gears at cruising speed. It's one reason why the five-speed Volvo is better suited than the six-speed Verso to my congested M4 commute, and why I didn't get on with the Skoda DSG that wouldn't just pick a gear and stay in it, even though it had the torque on tap to do just that.

The E has only five speeds too, although of course they come with a whole team of pixies to choose the right one for me so I don't have to worry my pretty little head.
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Boxsterboy
I owned this engine in the previous shape C4 (coupe).

The engine was indeed a peach - smooth and revvy quite unlike traditional diesels. Mine had the EGS which I wouldn't recommend now that the better twin-clutch autos are more widely available (although PSA persist with the EGS box, presumably on account of it being cheaper).

I liked the car but I did find the suspension a bit on the harsh side, especially when I think of hydropneumatic Citroens of yore. It is a shame that Citroen are phasing out this excellent suspension (now only available on C5 Exclusives to special order, I believe). But then if you drive in France these days you soon realise that their roads are so smooth they don't need fancy suspension. But we most certainly do!
i too lament the loss of thier quirky but brilliant hydropneumatic suspension.
i had an 04 plate c5 and it rode like a magic carpet
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Fenlander
>>>quirky but brilliant hydropneumatic suspension

I have a long history of driving Citroens with this suspension and trust me it is possible for Citroen to get excellent results with springs as the superb ride of my current C5 proves.

The new C4 will be on a short list for my change later this year but may prove too small for a main family car. What I can say about current Citroens is that my ownership experience of this (new shape) C5 has been flawless over the past 2.5yrs. It has the 1.6Hdi which many would have said was underpowered for a large car but has proved capable and economical.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 26 Apr 12 at 09:12
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Bagpuss
I had a C4 rental car a few months back. I really liked it. Great styling, very nice to drive, with precise handling and a comfortable ride. Felt well put together, including the interior, which wasn't the case in the previous model. It's the only car in this class I'd consider instead of a Golf.
we also have the new shape XJ in lwb form so if we need all five seats we use my car.
the dealer has found an exclusive spec car with the cream trim interior so will be going over later to try it out for a few hours.
if its ok im sure she'll get that as she's fed up with the black interiors in most cars and she likes the softer ride on the c4 aswell
Last edited by: nyx2k on Thu 26 Apr 12 at 11:25
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Fenlander
>>>fed up with the black interiors in most cars

Mine is all black and that's hard to avoid these days but I really like cream leather. It was a new C5 Tourer in the local showroom that tipped me into getting one, it was an Exclusive in dark metallic blue with a cream leather interior and looked superb.

I bet that C4 you're looking at will be really nice.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 26 Apr 12 at 12:20
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Londoner
>>>fed up with the black interiors in most cars
+1

It's like staring into the Black Hole of Calcutta in some cars!
just picked up a new c4 in red with cream leather and cloth seats and cream interior trim in exclusive spec and been told we can keep it till saturday. so far it is very smooth and comfortable.

if she likes it we will order one and best of all they have some in the country and can have the one she wants in 10 days
>> best of all they have some
>> in the country and can have the one she wants in 10 days
>>

But even better, it means you should be able to get a good deal.
ive just spoken to citroen again and they have one in babylon red with cream trim plus extras like full length glass roof , usually about 500 extra with electric blind to cover it.

list price is 21k plus a few more extras. they offered to sell it to me for £18k but im sure it can get it lower. wont be to eager to make an offer and leave it a few days. if the one in stock goes there is another one but in deep blue,
Sounds nice.

>> they have one in babylon red

Why 'babylon'?
they have 2 cars in the spec she wants. babylon red and silver.
the red is pearlescent and fairly bright and looks nice with the cream trim. why do car manufactures call these colours some silly names
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Dog
Babylon Red: www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1htRuZQ6Bg
i like the colour.
anybody know what price i should be aiming for. cash or will sign credit if i can get it cheaper and pay it off in a few weeks so i dont pay any interest and get the car cheaper than a cash deal

i decided to sell the c3 picasso to a neighbour for £500 more than the trade in price as he needed a reliable car but doesnt want to pay retail used prices.
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Londoner

>> anybody know what price i should be aiming for

I presume that you are talking about the 1.6 HDI Exclusive? "What Car?" reckons £17631 as its Target Price (i.e. the absolute maximum - or ring them to get put in touch with a dealer)

www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/citroen/c4-hatchback/1-6-hdi-110-exclusive-5dr/summary/62019
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - Dog
At least your wife will be able to quite clearly see where she parked it any time = among a sea of Grey & Silver :)
>> why do car manufactures call these colours some silly names

"Satan, the Lord of Hell, and the whore of Babylon are dressed red; in this context the meaning of red is the expression of the devouring power of hellfire or of untamed desires and passions."

ooh-err

www.feng-shui-and-beyond.com/meaning-of-red.html

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 11 May 12 at 00:47
i like your explanation, makes sense. its a lovely pearlescent red that has a nice sheen and depth.

ive got them down to 18k without trying so im going in at 16k but will settle at 17k as it does have some optional extras like the glass roof and the satnav and they retail at £1500 for the two.
Citroën does red really well - bright and distinctive without being garish. Even better with a non-black interior. Good choice.
Why, thank you. My C4 was metallic red (can't remember what they called it then) but with a black interior.
she has been looking on the net for ages for a non black interior and could only find the Mercedes Aclass and the C4.
shes happy this morning as the neighbour came around and paid cash for her car. looks like i'll be driving her around next week then
 Citroen - New C4 Citroen 1.6TD Exlusive. Any owners - bathtub tom
I'm just back from hiring one for a few days in Majorca. I don't know the spec, other than it was turbo diesel.

It was the worst diesel I've ever driven, the turbo lag was like something from twenty years ago. There was an infestation of bikes in the mountainous areas of the island and trying to keep the engine spooled up to pass the clusters was near impossible. The air-con was also the weakest I've ever experienced - all this on a car that had only 4K on it!

Did I have a particularly bad one?
i agree the 90hp td is a bit gutless but the 110 is better. i thought the car overall was very well made. aircon very good aswell.
Latest Forum Posts