Motoring Discussion > Headlight bulb shattered Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 6

Headlight bulb shattered - -
About half way to work early this morning in SWM's little C2 i heard a click from the area of the OSF, about a second later the OS dipped headlight went out.
No big deal its got front fogs so i turned those on for the rest of the journey....didn't want someone thinking it was a motorbike approaching.

Popped the bulb out to change it (easy to get at) and discovered the whole bulb had shattered, presumably the click i heard was the glass exploding, and the element expired a fraction later.

So at the weekend if it happens to stop raining during the drought for 10 minutes i have the fun of nipping the headlamp out to empty out the bits of glass.

In all my years never had a headlight bulb shatter, though daresay its common enough.

The bulbs incidentally were Philips Extremes and have seen between 4.5 and 5 years service, both in the Hilux and the C2....yes i'm watertight.;)
 Headlight bulb shattered - Runfer D'Hills
Never seen that. Must be one of WDB's pixies.
 Headlight bulb shattered - Old Navy
Maybe it had a fingerprint on it, they don't like skin oil.
 Headlight bulb shattered - Runfer D'Hills
What, pixies? They're not real you know ON...

:-)
 Headlight bulb shattered - a900ss

>> The bulbs incidentally were Philips Extremes and have seen between 4.5 and 5 years service,
>> both in the Hilux and the C2....yes i'm watertight.;)
>>

That is a seriously long life for 'plus' bulbs. How much night driving do you do?
 Headlight bulb shattered - -
>> That is a seriously long life for 'plus' bulbs. How much night driving do you
>> do?

Because of the hours i work, unless the middle 2 months of summer i'm usually going to work in the dark, not thousands of hours but same number of on/offs.

My own car has a set of these Philips' too, bought before this set, still going strong and driven more often in the dark than the Citroen.

No fingerprints, always careful of that.

Think i might renew the lot if i can find a bargain price for the same bulbs again, don't really want the insides of the headlamps stained with burnt on bits of glass and smoke.
 Headlight bulb shattered - L'escargot
>> >> The bulbs incidentally were Philips Extremes and have seen between 4.5 and 5 years
>> service,

>> That is a seriously long life for 'plus' bulbs.

That's presumably one of the reasons why car manufacturers don't fit them as standard.
Latest Forum Posts