Motoring Discussion > Why are people carriers so-called? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 13

Why are people carriers so-called? - L'escargot
Well, why are they? All cars carry people.
 Why are people carriers so-called? - tyro
When I got my first Berlingo, 10 years ago, a boy (he must have been about 10 years of age) asked "Is it a people carrier?"

I replied "Well, it carries me, and I'm a person!"

I had always understood that a people carrier was a car which was somewhat elevated and which had at least 7 seats.
 Why are people carriers so-called? - Old Navy
Its an upholstered van with windows. People carrier / MPV are marketing bullshine.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 26 Apr 12 at 09:09
 Why are people carriers so-called? - Runfer D'Hills
I've had two, a Galaxy and the hateful Espace and that's exactly why they were chosen. At the time I needed a van during the week and a car at the weekends and they both did that. The Ford did it rather better...
 Why are people carriers so-called? - Auristocrat
Marketing. The US refers to them as 'minivans' - some are anything but mini.
Came across this thing called a Scout Scarab recently, which is possibly the first minivan:
'www.conceptcarz.com/view/vehiclePhotos.aspx?carID=9131&optionID=0&pg=2&catID=747&eventID=112'
>>
>> Came across this thing called a Scout Scarab recently, which is possibly the first minivan:
>>

Fashion goes in circles, it will return one day.

Cars seem to alternate between jellymould and crease line styling.
 Why are people carriers so-called? - henry k
>>Came across this thing called a Scout Scarab recently.
Certainly unusual. I note that the passengers appear to get dumped in the road as I can only see one door for them.
 Why are people carriers so-called? - R.P.
There was a report in some online paper or other (British origin) reporting a "meteorite the size of a Minivan" seen over California in the last week or so - that size comparator means one thing to an US reader and something different to a British reader (of a certain age) - doesn't make much difference if it lands on your house though...
 Why are people carriers so-called? - Dave_
>> a Minivan
>> something different to a British reader (of a certain age)

They had to pay van rate at the Dartford tunnel :) A mate had one to transport his band around. It was a small band.
 Why are people carriers so-called? - CGNorwich
Because they're not suitable for transporting elephants.
 Why are people carriers so-called? - Jetski
On my daughter's third birthday we had a drinks morning for the adults, my sister was first to arrive in her Nissan Prarie, daughter opens the front door and says "who left that van on the drive?"
I refer to my daughters Honda FRV as "The van" or "The family bus".
 Why are people carriers so-called? - madf
They are called people carriers because most of the time they are 90% empty but in order to solve their consciences after buying such a big lump of underutilised hardware, owners want to appear ecologically friendly.. so call them people carriers.

So are tanks, aircraft carriers,nuclear subs and jet fighters.
 Why are people carriers so-called? - Runfer D'Hills
Another reason, based upon my experience with the two I had, could be that if you ever did fill all seven seats with people, there wasn't any room for their luggage. Ergo - People carriers !
Latest Forum Posts