Motoring Discussion > Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat Legal Questions
Thread Author: diddy1234 Replies: 12

Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - diddy1234
I was wondering who the police cannot pull over on the roads.

So could an Army vehicle (on the road) be pulled over for say speeding or a safety check.

Same regarding diplomat cars.
 Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - zookeeper
i think the army have exception to the rules of the queens highway
 Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - Old Navy
Military drivers tend to be sensible on the road, they would get a civil penalty and military disciplinary penalties as well if at fault. Similar to the police double punishment. When the IRA were active on the mainland many military cars had civil plates and were never used when in uniform. I used Cavalier and Montego diesels.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 26 Apr 12 at 16:27
 Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - nyx2k
i had a friend in the early nineties who was entitled to diplomatic status as he worked in an embassy in london. he said he was untouchable but his government could decide to give him up for charges if they wanted to
 Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - jc2
And if they didn't give him up,they could always and frequently did,send him home.
 Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - Fullchat
No exemptions for stopping but diplomatic immunity can hinder proceedings. Arrangements in place for some high value stuff not necessarily to stop at time but to go to pre arranged locations.
 Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - Westpig
Everyone can be pulled over.

Military vehicles have no exemptions.

Diplomats though can be tricky...but.....you'd need to verify who they were, even if driving a car with diplomatic plates...so they'd still be pulled over. It's surprisng how many people in London who drive diplomatic cars, who are not entitled to diplomatic immunity e.g the chauffeur.

Prosecuting a diplomat is not likely...although there are still ways of dealing with them.

I personally got involved in a case when some of my officers went to deal with a call about kids being left alone. They found the very young kids at home...alone (they had been for quite some time)... and started the ball rolling for getting the kids looked after, when the diplomat father and his wife returned, he was driving and was obviously well inebriated. He was the most arrogant, horrible piece of carp you could imagine.

My officers weren't sure how to handle it, because of the diplomat angle...so I told them to deal as usual until we could verify whether he was/was not a diplomat...so he got nicked for child neglect and drink/drive.

My exceptionally lengthy report eventually had the Foreign and Commonwealth Office discuss things with his country.... and he was given a week's notice to leave the UK...and that was him, cheerio.

He was never prosecuted for anything due to his diplomatic status. His privileged life here, in a well paid job was swapped for not a lot in his third world country, so i'd imagine he's had plenty of time to repent.

excellent tale westpig. i am glad of stories like this.
a definate case of a level head needed there,

if it were me in your shoes i think anger would have got the better of me and floored the idiot.
 Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - movilogo
How to you capture an Arabic or Chinese number plate in the system?
Last edited by: movilogo on Fri 27 Apr 12 at 10:12
what happens with the gypsy lot ?

Most of their vehicles are not fit for the road but on programs like police stop etc they never show any gypsies pulled over.

Actually how are their cars road legal, you have to have a resident address in order to tax and insure a vehicle.
 Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - Bill Payer
My brother used to work for a defence contractor and had to travel between sites, sometimes carrying drawings and/or equipment. He was under instructions not to stop, but to head for the nearest military base.

He was never given a list of them en-route though. Both he and I wondered how it work in practice, but he never needed to test the procedure.
 Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - Old Navy
That is a good way to start a police pursuit. I used to carry certain documents around the country and that is not how it is done, some required two people.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 28 Apr 12 at 11:25
 Can the police pull over Army vehicles or diplomat - Dave_
>> on programs like police stop etc they never show any gypsies pulled over.

I may be wrong, but I would think the TV company has to get a release signed from the pullee afterwards in order to screen the footage.

>> Actually how are their cars road legal, you have to have a resident address in order to tax and
>> insure a vehicle

Not sure, but I've AskMIDded a few that have been up here* and they always come up green.

*You can spot 'em a mile off.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 28 Apr 12 at 17:26
Latest Forum Posts