Motoring Discussion > BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 18

BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - Dulwich Estate

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17859668

BMW are using 4000 cars to move around Olympic's staff, competiters and so on (except Zero) in July / August.

What will happen to them afterwards ? I guess they will all be RHD and will probably stay in UK.

There may be good deals.
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - Runfer D'Hills
Aye, but they'll all reek of sweaty trainers.
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - Alastairw
I'll keep a note of the car or cars that I drive so you can all avoid them.

I understand most will be 320ed or 520ed, so some with also be hybrids, apparently.
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - Clk Sec
>>(except Zero)

:-)
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - Runfer D'Hills
Actually, now you come to mention it, Zero's gone missing. Can't help wondering if someone's done something fearful to him with that tripod of his.
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - swiss tony
>> Aye, but they'll all reek of sweaty trainers.
>>
So what cars are the actual sportsmen/women using if their trainers get the BMW's?
Anyway... I thought they were called coaches theses days.....
Last edited by: swiss tony on Thu 26 Apr 12 at 19:12
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - colino
Knowing BMW they'll charge a premium for these de-striped crash cabs.
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - spamcan61
It'll be interesting to see what they do with these cars, i would think 4000 would be a lot to dump on the 'nearly new' market in one go.
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - legacylad
Plase can anyone inform me should there be any 335 convertibles going cheap.
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - PeterS
BMW are well used to managing the supply of nearly new cars. In an ordinary year they self register, or register to employees, well over 10,000 cars which are then released into the used market as low mileage vehicles (look for Yx 61/12 plated vehicles)). My guess would be that if they thought it would be a problem then employee car schemes would be restricted during this year to offset the increase driven by the Olympics. Otherwise expect the import centre at Thorne to have full car parks for a while ;-)
Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 27 Apr 12 at 00:50
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - TeeCee
>> >> Aye, but they'll all reek of sweaty trainers.
>> >>
>> So what cars are the actual sportsmen/women using if their trainers get the BMW's?
>> Anyway... I thought they were called coaches theses days.....
>>

BMW make coaches?
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - crocks
>> BMW make coaches?

Yes. www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/news/0,,1156__181267300_,00.html
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - Boxsterboy
I saw one this morning, a white 3-series decked out in gold stickers on the front half for participation in the Torch Relay procession.

It's getting quite exciting, all this Olympics stuff!
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - Duncan
>> It's getting quite exciting, all this Olympics stuff!
>>

Or not, as the case may be.
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - a900ss
I'm more concerned that the making of these 4,000 vehicles could delay the delivery of my order....
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - R.P.
Well my FiL's 328 has been pushed back 3 weeks....
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - Fullchat
Our area got hit big time by the 2007 floods. There was an instant market for both touring and static caravans (that's the ones they are trying to wallop with VAT).
We are the caravan producing capital of the world. Hot rumour was that all the vans supplied to insurance companies would be scrapped after use so as not to (pardon the pun) flood the 2nd hand market which would seem a possibility. Don't know if there was any real substance to the rumour. Dutchie??

BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - Armel Coussine
>> my FiL's 328

The original 328 was a beautiful, classy and rapid pre-war roadster, whose pushrod 2 litre engine I think was cribbed and improved by Bristol in the forties and fifties. I could never understand why they didn't bring the designation back once they had a 3 series and a 2.8 litre engine.

Have they got round to it at last?
 BMW - 4000 surplus BMWs for sale - September - PeterS
There have been a few iterations of the 328 since the orignal - both the E36 and E46 shape carried the designation at some stage in their life. Both had 6 cylinder engines of 2.8ish litres capacity

The recently superceeded E9x shape didn't come in 328 guise, but was one of the models where badge and engine size became blurred - 316/318/320d all had the same basic engine 2 litre engine, 325/330i likewise had the same 3 litre/6 clyinder unit. The lastest 3 serries is available as a 328, but it doesn't have a 2.8 litre engine - it has a blown 2 litre 4. All in the name of reducing emissions I guess.
Latest Forum Posts