Motoring Discussion > LED lights question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 5

LED lights question - movilogo
As many cars are now using LED type lights, can single bulb in the cluster fail?

If so, can you replace single bulb or if just one bulb fails, do you really need to replace it?

Is there any rule something like only 70% of bulbs need to function to pass MOT etc.?
 LED lights question - VxFan
>> Is there any rule something like only 70% of bulbs need to function

50% according to the Testers Manual

www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mot_section_one.htm

LED lights question - Old Navy
I read recently that a replacement rear led light unit for a Volvo was about £200. Sounds like an opportunity for the repair companies.
 LED lights question - Dave_
The only failed LED lights I've spotted have been on the back of buses and lorry trailers. Not seen just one diode out, but always several in a bank which suggests circuit board failure will be more common rather than individual light sources "blowing".

No different to rusty tail light connector boards in Peugeots and Fords in terms of likelihood or replacement cost then.
 LED lights question - VxFan
>> The only failed LED lights I've spotted have been....

Rover 200 3rd brake light.
 LED lights question - swiss tony
We have sold quite a few.
The LED indicator repeaters are a very good seller.....

Had one chap, with a less than year old car, whose rear lamp LED failed..... he had to wait over a week for a new one as they were backordered.

Going to be a big problem for 10 year old motors, unless someone starts replacing single LED's instead of the complete clusters.
Latest Forum Posts