Motoring Discussion > Policy overlap Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 6

Policy overlap - WillDeBeest
As I've mentioned, we're going en vacances in a few weeks. Inconveniently, the insurance policy on the car we're taking is due for renewal while we're away, and we'll probably want to go with a different insurer. I'd prefer to avoid paying an EU-use premium to two different insurers, so...

...Question: am I doing anything wrong if I set up a new policy to start the day before we travel, which is less than a week before the old one expires? That way, I can set the new policy up for EU use and simply let the old one expire.
 Policy overlap - Dave_
I can't see anything wrong with that, apart from that you'd be paying two premiums for a week.
 Policy overlap - CGNorwich
Could get a bit complicated if you had a claim. Both Insurers would have to be advised of the existence of the other policy and they would probably pay 50/50
 Policy overlap - movilogo
... and you will be paying 2 excesses in that case.
 Policy overlap - Falkirk Bairn
You can legally have many policies BUT you can only make a claim on one, if something untoward were to happen.
 Policy overlap - Kithmo
Don't forget to inform the first insurance co. that you do not want to renew, some do it automatically, then you could end up with a cancellation fee.
 Policy overlap - Leif
It could lose you a years NCB. You provide the new insurer with your old NCB which is 6 years say. But two weeks later it becomes 7 years. However, the new insurer will think it is 6 + 2 weeks, and at the end of the year with them, it will become 7. Why can't you take out new insurance that starts when the old one elapses? Oh okay, EU stuff. Depends which matters more, NCB or EU stuff.
Latest Forum Posts