Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate Buying / Selling
Thread Author: nick1975 Replies: 21

BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate - nick1975
I'm thinking of replacing my 02 Focus Estate. Its a 1.6 petrol zetec and has now got 111k on it.

A few things dont work - FM on the radio, remote locking, rear wash wipe leaks into the boot.

It doesn't have a/c, which with a hot summer coming (i dream) isn't great.

The front wheels squeel - bearings? Its scruffy, marked, and i've had it 5 years. It doesn't owe me a penny.

I'm thinking of going into the car scheme at work and taking a BMW 3 touring 318d es, as its only 13% BIK so is pretty cheap.

In the past i have always prefered to buy outright but car prices seem high to me right now. Just to replace the focus with a new version, from somewhere like motorpoint, is getting up to £12k ish for a 1 year old, so i'm thinking i might as well get a bimmer even if the equiv total cost over the life cycle is a bit more.

anyone got any bright ideas. I thought about an Octavia - it too has a 1.6 cr tdi low BIK, but its only a £1k a year cheaper than the bm as a company car. For the extra money you get the badge and 40 more horses.
Last edited by: nick1975 on Tue 27 Apr 10 at 22:56
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate - Avant
If you were buying outright an Octavia 1.6 would be much more car for your money than a 318 (bigger BMWs might be a different matter!). If you need more room than in a BMW 3-series Touring, look at an Octavia vRS: even the hatch has a vast boot, never mind the estate, and they're great to drive, petrol or diesel.

But if you don't need the space, take the BMW and enjoy!
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate - Zero
>> I'm thinking of going into the car scheme at work and taking a BMW 3
>> touring 318d es as its only 13% BIK so is pretty cheap.

dont forget that goes up to 18% 2011/12 tax year
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate - Skoda
The BMW: have a test drive of that car and include some motorway overtaking, see what you think.

I'm a big BMW fan but i was really underwhelmed by this car. I was looking at the SE with the business pack (sat nav + leather for 700 notes), which IMO gets you a lot more for slightly more money.

I guess at the end of the day BIK will be a major influence there are definately worse cars to be in that is for sure.

The new 3 series is coming soon, if you hang fire you might get a runout deal on a highline.
Thanks for the ideas

i didn't know the percent BIK upped next year, i though it was the year after (2012/2013).

the issue with buying outright is the £14k its going to cost. not really thrilled with that idea.

and a self funded vRS sounds like pricey tyres, juice etc etc so not for me. plus the seats have a big white patch on them.

if i was going to buy one i would go for the 1.8tsi in elegance trim from dtd for about £14.5

as to model life, when is the Octy due a change - thats getting on a bit now isn't it

BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate - Alastairw
Current theories on Briskoda are that the Octavia will be replaced after the Golf Mk 7 comes out, so quite a while yet, hopefully.
We've seen photos of the octy facelift for 2011 and some details are leaking out about what's changing. Can't remember reading anything interesting so it's not stuck, whatever the changes.

If they're going for another facelift (it's just been facelifted in 2009) that suggests another 2 years onto that. 2013?

If the photos were real, there's not much change at all.
Hi All

Just to let you know, i have ordered a brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K in Silver.

I cant wait to get it. Dreaming about that leather interior and the 160 horses...

Hope you all approve.

Wife is out, larging it up in Soho on less.

Cant wait to tell her she has just become the proud owner of a Skoda, she was so keen on a 318 SE with navigation.....
thats gonna cost you.

>> Cant wait to tell her she has just become the proud owner of a Skoda,
>> she was so keen on a 318 SE with navigation.....
>>
i think you are correct.

whats the going rate these days? Exotic holiday, mulberry handbag?

hopefully the holiday - at least i get something out of it!
Last edited by: nick1975 on Sun 9 May 10 at 00:04
Bling probably Tifany.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate - corax
Get her to drive it, she might change her mind (If you're lucky!) Let us know how you find the car. Most road testers rate that particular engine.

A friend of mine has the VRS version and loves it. Nice light controls, good handling. I agree with you about the seats though, it's a strange colour scheme.
Last edited by: corax on Sun 9 May 10 at 09:35
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate - J500ANT
Having had the use of a BMW 318d M Sport auto for the past fortnight I can't say I blame you for getting the Skoda!

I wasn't at all impressed with the Beemer. VERY good mpg for a diesel with conventional auto, nice LEDs under the door handles outside. And thats about it. £30k list price, and you still have to turn your own lights and wipers on.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate - idle_chatterer
Or you could forgo the 318d M-Sport bling and get an SE with a decent engine....

A 6 cylinder SE has auto lights and wipers and cruise control and a few other nice features like hill-hold and brake drying which are (to my surprise) not standard on 4 cylinder models - all for your £30K (ish) list price. A case of 'fur coat and no knickers' (on the low powered M-Sport) perhaps ?

The lease costs on the 6 cylinder diesels are very attractive and they come in at around 21% on BIK, the tax is then (to some extent) offset by the low lease rates.

My company scheme is changing (under the supposed rationale of going green) so I guess I'll look at the Superb estate next year (or the new Sharan/Alhambra perhaps) but I'll miss my 330d Touring, it's the best car I've ever driven by quite a margin.

Btw - a glovebox light is an optional extra on an Audi A4 B8 - even a £40K one !
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate - Avant
Good move there, Nick.

I don't know how the leasing charges compare, but the list price of even the basic 318i ES is £2,500 more than your top-spec 1.8 Octavia; the 318d ES is an amazing £2,500 more still.
 BMW 3-Series E91 Touring - Replace Focus Estate - Londoner
As the bemused owner of an E91 320d diesel, I have to say.....

Congratulations Nick - you did the right thing! :-)

I'll be giving serious consideration to the Octavia myself, when I next change motors. Great car!
Just thought i could give a quick update...

So Drive the Deal have contacted me by phone and confirmed in letter and email - so far very good. And the order has gone through to the Skoda dealer - Marlbough Skoda if anyone is interested.

12-14 weeks to wait as the factory is closed in July. So bit of a wait.

Couple of questions - the dealer mentioned a "Life Shine" treatment which gets mixed reviews on the web. I'm not going to go for it as i think surely the manufactures would do it directly if it was really any good. Stu - any view ?

Second question - is this 1.8 TSI engine chain cam - i assume it must be but i haven't been able to find out yet. I suppose i could ask the Skoda dealer, but any quick answers appreciated!

Also more exciting news - i have also ordered a Diesel Mini Cooper as a company car. Comes on the 15 June. It will replace our Jazz which is fine, but i'm a bit bored of being the only 30ish year old driving one....

2 new cars - my old man thinks i'm having a mid life crisis - just wait till i tell him i just bought 4 chickens for the back yard!!!!
Last edited by: nick1975 on Wed 19 May 10 at 22:17
> is this 1.8 TSI engine chain cam

Yeah it is.

The car will be on Time&Distance servicing (variable) from the factory. First service is an oil service and nowt else worth mentioning.

If you take it in at the 12k mile mark (before the car asks to be serviced) for service #1 they'll switch you to fixed servicing (yearly or 12k miles). You can check at any time how many days / miles till next service if you have maxidot spec'd.

After being dead set on fixed servicing i've changed my mind now. There's nothing in the service schedule i wouldn't be on top of anyway. Sticking to T&D but with an interim oil and filter change in the middle.

Long life spark plugs too.

I keep checking everything on mine, 2.0 tsi but it's in tip top and hasnt drunk a drop of oil in 1200 miles so far.
Craig thanks for that

Stu could you give me the benefit of your experience on the life shine, compared to normal waxing etc etc

keen to learn as i have 2 new cars coming etc

also running in? is it still required or is it just a case of warm up the engine then rag it!!!!
my mini was delivered today and its great

bit noisey but pulls like a rocketship in 3rd

handles quite well, no boot, tight in the back but looks cool

great push start button - much more fun than a key

loads of other buttons to press - no clue what they do to be honest

just need the Octy to arrive and then i'm done
Last edited by: nick1975 on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 21:40
Collected the Octavia yesterday. So far its great - all 60 miles!

The black leather/alcantra upholstry is very smart and the overall quality is very good.

The L&K model has lots of electronic wizardry, so its quite fun playing with all the settings etc.

On the biggish wheels and the metalic silver it looks smart.

but the best thing is the engine - sweat as a nut, bags of power and smooth as silk, amazing.

i'm off to Birmingham tomorrow so will get a longer run, but so far it seems to eat the road and i'm well pleased.

perhaps the only neagtive is its possibly a bit noisy on bumpy surfaces - but not much of an issue for me
Last edited by: nick1975 on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 22:13
Glad to hear you like it nick, no pressure but would be good to read a wee review after you've done a few miles :-P
Latest Forum Posts