Motoring Discussion > Fiesta DRLs ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 9

Fiesta DRLs ? - Old Navy
This morning I saw a new looking Fiesta with a horizontal set of DRLs fitted in the bumper beneath (but separate from) the headlight unit. I was on a mini roundabout at the time and did not get a close look but I got the impression that they were a factory fit. Has a minor facelift model been released or was it a good DIY job?
 Fiesta DRLs ? - Dave_
I've seen 3 or 4 like that in the last week, at least one was an 11 reg though. Transits are starting to appear with them in the same place too. I think they might be fitting them only to the top spec (Titanium?) model, like the Mondeo - not all new ones of those have the LEDs.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 2 May 12 at 16:23
 Fiesta DRLs ? - Old Navy
Thanks Dave, they were bright white eye burners and did not look like a DIY bodge. I only got a quick look as I gave way to the Fiesta and it passed in front of me on the mini roundabout.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 2 May 12 at 17:23
 Fiesta DRLs ? - DP
The problem with these DRL "strips" on anything other than an Audi is that it smacks of pretension and trying too hard.

Nothing against Fords, I love 'em. But it's a copycat piece of design.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 2 May 12 at 17:43
 Fiesta DRLs ? - Old Navy
Found it, it is a Fiesta Centura.

www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Fiesta/Centura
 Fiesta DRLs ? - Dave_
>> The problem with these DRL "strips" on anything other than an Audi

>> Nothing against Fords, I love 'em. But it's a copycat piece of design.

Yep, I was surprised when the 2012 Mondeo was launched with the separate LED strips seeming tacked on as an afterthought, and right on the vulnerable corners too (like the 2001 Corsa's rear foglights, which were always getting broken). With the Mondeo's headlight design I'd have thought there was plenty of opportunity to weave some DRLs into the main light unit like they've done on the new Focus.
 Fiesta DRLs ? - Zero
You don't "just weave some DRLs into the main headlight unit"

Headlight units are highly technically sophisticated designs, unless LED DRLs were designed in up front, you can't just slap them in.
 Fiesta DRLs ? - mikeyb
>> You don't "just weave some DRLs into the main headlight unit"
>>
>> Headlight units are highly technically sophisticated designs, unless LED DRLs were designed in up front,
>> you can't just slap them in.
>>

Whereas you can just tack some to the bumper quite cheeply!
 Fiesta DRLs ? - Dave_
>> unless LED DRLs were designed in up front, you can't just slap them in

I saw a 2012 Renault Espace this morning, same shape of headlight as it's been for 4 years but now with integrated LED "eye-burners". It's entirely possible for designers to remodel the internals of the light unit without changing its external shape, see also LR Discovery and Range Rover.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 3 May 12 at 11:29
 Fiesta DRLs ? - apm
I think some of them just look silly (I'm looking at you, RR Evoque). Good grief, what were they thinking??

And what happened to tail lights that were blocks of red? Now some of them look like a chav's tribal tattoos. Hrumph.
Latest Forum Posts