Motoring Discussion > Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 39

Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - Runfer D'Hills
Check your car make / colour out on the table !

money.aol.co.uk/2012/05/02/prestige-cars-take-accident-rate-hit/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-ws-bb%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D106706

Edit - White BMWs look a bit scary !
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 2 May 12 at 20:14
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - a900ss
Oh dear. I'm just changing my black Subaru for a blue BMW so I've almost doubled my risk...
Looks like you'd have been better off with a yellow Daewoo...

:-)
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - Zero
>> Looks like you'd have been better off with a yellow Daewoo...
>>
>> :-)

Well you would wouldn't you? I mean no-one is going to want to be seen driving one. It will just stay on the drive.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - WillDeBeest
Well, the scientific method evidently unimpeachable on this one, measurements, maths, reasoning and conclusions all clearly explained. It should be in every car shopper's fact file, and anyone buying a car with a high Overall Accident Rate should be refused insurance for so recklessly disregarding the evidence. *

*I know. But i was bored with always being the one to rubbish these 'surveys'.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - Zero
Well, thats destroyed my mothers vehement assertion that green cars are unlucky and the worse for crashes.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - Armel Coussine
>> my mothers vehement assertion that green cars are unlucky and the worse for crashes.

Surely yamama wasn't a minicab driver Zero?
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - Armel Coussine
>> yamama

Look, I'm terribly sorry. Just couldn't resist it. FFS don't take offence.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - Dog
I can 'see' that grey cars (like mine) could be less noticeable in low-light conditions than many other colours,

But I can't see how a grey Mitsubishi would be any more liable to be involved in a crunch than say a grey Fiat, Rover, Daihatsu, Nissan, Ford, or Renault, so the article is a load of tosh IMO.
Of course it's tosh Dog, but it is at least quite interesting tosh !

Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - L'escargot
"Red cars had significantly less accident claims overall (11.3%) compared to grey (16.2%) or silver (15.4%) vehicles."

I'm pleased to see evidence that supports my reason for my decision to buy red cars.
I recently had a red car on loan from my Mitsubishi dealer when I had my Lancer serviced.

I drove the critter from Falmouth to hear & back again without inci-dent, so that's proof enough Shirley.

flic.kr/p/bquQ5y
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - movilogo
I'm surprised why Volvo and Proton are so high on the list!

Does it include all types of claim? There may be cases where Porsches are often write offs where as Volvos are just a bit scraping.

I'm surprised why Volvo and Proton are so high on the list!

Then don't be, Movi, because it's sub-tabloid botty-water and anything could be anywhere. In case I didn't make myself clear, it's utterly meaningless.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - RattleandSmoke
There is some logic on it, a lot of FIATs are small and not as safe as a Volvo, so a FIAT driver may be more weary of causing a crash than a Volvo man with his 50 airbags.
Rubbish. Little Fiats and the like are bought as second cars or by pensioners who barely use them, but are - when they do - more cautious drivers. Audis, BMWs, Volvos go to company car users who do five-digit annual mileages and - arguably - drive in a more aggressive style, hence more claims.

But this all about drivers and nothing about cars and colours. And since the report doesn't tell us whether it's about claims per year, per mile or per prawn sandwich, it tells us nothing at all.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - Clk Sec
>>Rubbish. Little Fiats and the like are bought as second cars or by pensioners who barely use them,

Not in my neck of the woods. Retro (little) Fiats around here are driven almost exclusively by youngish females.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - RattleandSmoke
Loads of young men drive Pandas round here too, very common to see 30 something men driving them. They seem popular with car enthusiast which want a very cheap car to run.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - CGNorwich
"Little Fiats and the like are bought as second cars or by pensioners who barely use them, but are - when they do - more cautious drivers."

How do you know - where are the stats? You are going down the same route as you set out to criticise.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - Cliff Pope
More research needed into this colour aspect.

Crucially, is the accident rate caused by other drivers' perception or awareness of the car in question, or is it that a driver behaves differently knowing the colour of his own car?

Supposing a driver was put in a car and told that it was green, but in reality it was red?
Supposing he knew it was a red car but it was screened so that other drivers thought it was green?
I had an olde Ingerlish white Jaaag with a red interior, I never had an acci-dent so there may be something in it, innit.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - Clk Sec
Must have been the red interior...
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - PeterS
I wonder whether the proportion of black Mercs driven by undertakers pulls down the accident rate, though I guess though that's offset by the ones driven by Addison Lee drivers ;-)

Mine's a shade of silver/grey, so an almost 1:5 chance of having an accident. I see at least four Mercs the same colour as mine every morning - we've managed to avoid crashing into each other so far...
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - teabelly
Unless you know the relative numbers of each and mileage driven then it's meaningless. I do find it ironic about volvos but I suspect it is risk compensation at work and volvo drivers tend to be dopey anyway.

It's true about grey or silver cars as they're basically road coloured.
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - apm
Nonsense. With no standardisation, it's meaningless.

Here's some university researchers doing a bit of a better job. White seems to be good.

www.monash.edu.au/miri/research/reports/muarc263.pdf

I do remember that my grandfather always talked about a Which? survey from the 1970s that recommended yellow as the most visible colour. That said, he never did buy a yellow car...

Alex.
Well, I've got another theory !

I've not had a crash but I've driven most makes and lots of colours. I do though prefer to sit quite low in the car so this proves beyond any reasonable doubt that if you can't see the badge on the back or the colour of the bonnet it really doesn't matter...

I was going to do a chart to explain this but I can't be bothered.

What does that prove?

:-p
>> I was going to do a chart to explain this but I can't be bothered.

You "can't be bothered"? Is that all you think of us? Charming!
;~)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 3 May 12 at 14:52
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - corax
>> I do though prefer to sit quite low in the car

How low? Do you have a front slot in your Panzer that you peer through?

:)

I'm concious that my grey Avensis is pretty invisible on a murky day. I tend to use the lights more often.
Um gonna buy an orange (car) next time, although I would also consider a Tangerine (Dream)

I orften see an Orange Focus ST zooming around down here, can't miss the blimmin thing!
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - Dutchie
Maybe pink Dog.Tough lad from south London.>;)
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - corax
>> I orften see an Orange Focus ST zooming around down here, can't miss the blimmin
>> thing!

Can't see you in an ST dog. A yellow Volvo T5 estate though....
When I'm 78 and have the ole sex reassignment surgery, I'll probably be driving a Pink Zoe or somesuch ;}
 Black Mercs safer than blue Mitsubishis? - TeeCee
>> can't miss the blimmin thing!
>>

How many times have you hit it so far?
Too close for (Southern) comfort!
This is what the hoi polloi thinks. tinyurl.com/73xpgg3
There's usually a badge on the steering wheel too, Humph. If you can't see that, your risk of an accident may be higher.
Yellow Daewoo with winter tyres, ABS, traction control and DRLs. Drive that while wearing a condom and taking multivitamins and you'd be invincible.

That's you Humph you are in fashion selling frilly knickers.>:)
>>That's you Humph you are in fashion selling frilly knickers<<

No, he wears the frilly knickers Dutchie, and he sells the shoes, pay attention, or else!

:)
Sorry Boss I will pay attention,Humph in frilly knickers like the lads from Thailand.;)
Latest Forum Posts