Motoring Discussion > If it's all right for a dog... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 51

If it's all right for a dog... - Iffy
...is it all right for a child?

A woman pulled into the car park of Bowburn services, just outside Durham City, and supervised her child having a pee on the tarmac.

Obviously, public toilets were within a few yards.

I wasn't impressed, what do you think?

If it's all right for a dog... - R.P.
I've often wondered about that, depends some of the public toilets I know I wouldn't go in them let alone any child of mine, if the kid was a boy a whole host of issues for the mother - When a kid of a certain age needs to go, the really need to go and a pee covered verge is the least of the evils...
 If it's all right for a dog... - Dulwich Estate
Iffy,

A drive through France will reveal men doing the same all over the place - you'd be lucky to see their car pulled too far of the carraigeway before they begin.
...A drive through France will reveal men doing the same all over the place...

So I've been told, but if I wanted to live like and among French people, I would move to France.

The child was a boy, so perhaps the mother was reluctant to take it into the ladies or gents, or let it go in unsupervised.

I certainly would iffy.
 If it's all right for a dog... - Runfer D'Hills
Peeing in a hedge is no big deal but if a lavatory is available then why not use it? Rule of thumb for me, if the child is 8 or younger, take them into the loo which pertains to your sex. Over that age, if they are the opposite sex to you, stand outside and let them get on with it.

Doesn't need to be complicated.
 If it's all right for a dog... - Zero
Like many on here I have brought up kids. There are times when a young child needs to pee and its usually not convenient for a convenience. You do however try and supervise /assist it with a fair degree of discreetness.

But on the whole, getting kids to use a public loo is part of life training.
Discretion dear boy, discretion.

Dear Lord...

:-)
 If it's all right for a dog... - Dutchie
Maybe the child couldn't hold it in? Don't look if it offends you.>:)
 If it's all right for a dog... - mikeyb
Depends on the age of the child. My youngest boy is only recently out of nappies so does not have the same level of "control" When he says he needs to go you don't usually have time to think to much about it, so we have stopped at the far end of a car park by a bush.

That said, I would still take the older ones into the services where they can use the facilities
 If it's all right for a dog... - CGNorwich
Doesn't one of most celebrated statues in the world depict a little boy peeing? Saved you a trip to Brussels
Yep Manneke Pis.I've got the stature.>;)
It would seem Europeans are quite keen on peeing in public.

Not so over here.

Sit in any magistrates' court for a day or two and you will see defendants - usually young males - prosecuted for urinating in public.

Not dozens, but they do crop up regularly, particularly if the court has a yobbo town centre on its patch.

If it's all right for a dog... - Bromptonaut
When they've got to go they've got to go.

The Lad was about three on one of our many holidays on Harris. The public urinals in Tarbert were in his words "too big for me to wee wee in" so going against the wheel of the car was a natural option. The resultant widdle went on and on - leaving a stream over the whole car park. The phrase Tarbert car park wee-wee is stuck in the family vocab to this day as an expression for a high volume pee.

Holding girls out while supporting them from behind their knees is another skill parents soon develop.
 If it's all right for a dog... - Dog
Believe it or nay, I drink 9 cups mugs o' tea every day so I'm always on the pee, I also have a pee when I'm taking my dog out for a pee but I'm lucky living in the middle of no-where I suppose, couldn't do that in sowf lunden
or N. Yorkshire, could I :)
 If it's all right for a dog... - Ted

I turned off the M62 at junction 22 today as I knew there was an off road layby on Holme Moss, a couple of hundred yards away. I stopped for a sandwich moment but I was very close to having a pee while I was there.

I would have just opened the car door, stood in the angle with my back to the road and micturated somewhere near the back wheel. I see no shame in it, particularly the very young or elderly.

In the event, I couldn't be bothered getting out and went when I got home an hour later.
It might have been a different story if there'd been a cold tinkling brook by the car !

SWM's bladder control seems worse on a long car journey " Are we coming into a village ? I need a wee " is an oft-heard cry. I've offered to stop and get a couple of passing blokes to help me hold her over a grid....but that didn't go down too well !

Ted
Wow! - I've learnt a new word, wait until the missus comes and I'll try it on her (not literally you understand)

:)
 If it's all right for a dog... - Zero
I always have a chuckle when I see the signs to the "National Water Sports Centre", just outside Nottingham.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 5 May 12 at 09:24
 If it's all right for a dog... - Mike Hannon
There's a girl version of the Mannekin Pis in Brussels as well. Looks a bit odd. I don't think many people know that.
 If it's all right for a dog... - Mike Hannon
She's called Jeanneke Pis, I now recall and you can read about her on Wiki.
Manneke is Belgian for small man.>:)
 If it's all right for a dog... - zookeeper
>> I always have a chuckle when I see the signs to the "National Water Sports
>> Centre", just outside Nottingham

..,',.'.,
,'',.,''',,

:)
 If it's all right for a dog... - Tigger
Attitudes are so different between UK and continent. When I was working in Holland it was common for the (female) cleaner to come in and start cleaning whilst men were using the urinal.

I was brought up in the country. When you need to go you pee into the hedge. A loo might be several miles away.
 If it's all right for a dog... - bathtub tom
>>When I was working in Holland it was common for the (female) cleaner to come in and start cleaning whilst men were using the urinal.

I've experienced that a few times in this country recently. Still did a double take.
They do in France.The female cleaner is ok .You've got to watch the male cleaner..;)
>>The female cleaner is ok .You've got to watch the male cleaner<<

(Hahaha!) :-D
 If it's all right for a dog... - AshT
I was on the way for a morning's fishing at Brean beach with our oldest two boys when one of them decided he had to go. As I was going through the lanes over the levels I pulled into the next gateway and pointed him in the direction of the hedge. "Aww Dad, I'm not going THERE" was the response from a lad who's clearly got standards much higher than his father...
 If it's all right for a dog... - Armel Coussine
The original issue here, whether it's all right for a woman to let her tot slash in the car park instead of going into the - perhaps insanitary and vandalized, because many are - public bog nearby, depends on the size of the tot. Anything under two is going to be more trouble than it's worth in a basic public bog, its excreta of any sort won't constitute much of a health hazard and a discreet slash on the verge à la bona fide traveller isn't going to upset anyone really.

Come on Iffy, don't be such a churl. I bet your mother didn't force you to go to a horrible smelly public bog when all you wanted was to ease your bladder fairly discreetly.
You took the words out of my mouth.>:) Viva la France.
 If it's all right for a dog... - MD
The most amusing post for ages. I am now going to **** off and take the dogs for a P possibly in the local lay-by. There won't be too many complaints here...
 If it's all right for a dog... - Cliff Pope
I find it much more offensive when someone's dog pees against my car wheel.

Children are fine.
I was an unintended witness to one of these "events" today. I was parked at the local Tesco filling station, waiting for Mrs RP to come from a shop, a mother unloaded a 4/5 year old girl from a car waiting at the pumps - and took her to one of the borders to relieve herself - all over a paving stone (not even bothering to use the soil/bedded areas which would reduce the staining/smell issue) - why couldn't they use the bog in the shop/garage or am I missing something ?
The cry of "Mummy I can't wait gotta go NOOWWWW" has a galvanising effect!!

While going on the soil would be better my experience of 'accidents' indoors is that kid's wee is'nt too smelly. One of mine - I won't say which - had accidents disproportionately in one corner but no persisting smell after wiping up.
Whatever happened to the old advice about rubbing their noses in it?
I was slightly disgusted - the shop was about as far as the poor pansies in the border were...
Children are fairly disgusting much of the time Rob. Almost as bad as adults some of them. I've reached the conclusion that I'm not majorly keen on people in general mind you. Which is a bit of a problem given that I am one and the way human society works !

:-)

I'm not saying I'm for or agin children taking the pee as I live quite removed from everyday life up here but,

What is the difference between a young child peeing up the Peonies and a dog doing the same?
More discussion on public micturation:

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/poll/2012/may/15/urinating-public-nuisance
 If it's all right for a dog... - Focusless
"A judge in Somerset has ruled that peeing in public is not a nuisance if it's not seen by anyone."

Seems a bit odd - what about the smell for example? (Don't know how close the house is to the layby.)
 If it's all right for a dog... - -
Out of sight in some undergrowth i don't see the problem for adults, its a national disgrace the lack of public toilets in urban areas though, i can understand the vandalism situation surrounding public loos, but until we get a leader with some guts who tells the bobbies to sort 'em out proper that is just one of those things.

Little kids, well they have to go and if handled reasonably discreetly i don't see a problem, some urinals in car park type places might well be the smelly haunts of undesirables, so i fully understand the reluctance of parents to take them inside, but hidden behind a car and peeing in the undergrowth is fine by me.

I'm a little perturbed by the openness with which some young mothers in particular hold their little girls in main road layby's, in full view of all passing traffic, plus the dreadful traffic roar, must be horrible for the littlun...for goodness sake pull in near a blinking great truck and take the little 'un up the side of the truck, most truckers are decent fellows and will look t'other way, most of us had kids ourselves so know what the score is.

Often see young men that have pulled in on the hard shoulder, often within minutes of a service area peeing quite openly in the grass beside the road, if broke down they could walk down into the bushes in most areas, i assume these chaps are usually foreigners who don't realise the reasons for UK hard shoulders.
 If it's all right for a dog... - Focusless
>> Out of sight in some undergrowth i don't see the problem for adults,

It might seem like a problem if you live near the undergrowth and it's in regular use though, as appears to be the case for the couple in Bromp's report.
 If it's all right for a dog... - L'escargot
>> www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/poll/2012/may/15/urinating-public-nuisance

If no-one sees it, does it actually happen?
;-)
It's true that some laybys much used for this purpose can get to pong a bit. You wouldn't want one of those adjoining your garden. Perhaps the local authority could come up with a cunning plan in such cases, for example a small ablutions facility with a roof, kept clean of course.

No doubt if asked they will plead poverty and mumble about cuts.

If it's all right for a dog... - sooty123
They could use the outdoor ones many councils use, not ideal but they work and keep it off the floor. They look like a sort of portable 4way urinal.

These sort of things uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDode4X7JPIi4Apu1NBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Doutdoor%2Burinals%26fr%3Dmoz35%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D7&w=480&h=640&imgurl=farm2.staticflickr.com%2F1070%2F540181111_274da16aff_z.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fmmechtley%2F540181111%2F&size=110.2+KB&name=Outdoor+urinals+|+Flickr+-+Photo+Sharing!&p=outdoor+urinals&oid=0afb34c8f1e3acc96a323d58a841e0d0&fr2=piv-web&fr=moz35&tt=Outdoor%2Burinals%2B%257C%2BFlickr%2B-%2BPhoto%2BSharing%2521&b=0&ni=21&no=7&tab=organic&ts=&sigr=11h4u179o&sigb=137bmc8hm&sigi=11mfjjr3o&.crumb=NgknBTK9Rh4
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 15 May 12 at 14:53
That's an impressively long link sooty. But it worked.

That thing looks fine to me, and fairly indestructible. Not much use for women though.
A few years ago a man was fined for peeing in a street in Sunderland.

Nothing in that, but his DNA was matched to an unsolved historic rape for which he was later jailed for seven years.

If it's all right for a dog... - sooty123
Whoops yes a bit long! Sorry mods.

Yes they are very tough, hard to knock over even have places to pop your tab ends so they don't block the holes up. They are in quite a few places in the uk in town centres on a fri/sat night. Yeah being for chaps only isn't ideal but better than nothing I suppose.
A shorter link to a more expensive, but neater, solution:

www.urilift.co.uk/

If it's all right for a dog... - L'escargot
>> www.urilift.co.uk/

I hope nobody's standing on it when it "pops up".
 If it's all right for a dog... - -
>> >> www.urilift.co.uk/

i hope nobody's shaking the drops when it drops, ouch...:-)
Aren't there some of these that rise out of the ground in the evening? Charing cross springs to mind.

Edit. Beat me to it Iffy.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Tue 15 May 12 at 15:29
Reminds me of: We Will Exterminate.
Latest Forum Posts