Motoring Discussion > Misting headlamp Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 5

Misting headlamp - BobbyG
One of my Altea headlamps has misting and condensation on the inside.

Only myself to blame, I think it was a result of washing the car on Sunday with a bucket of tap hot water and also realising that after I last changed a bulb, the seal at the back of the unit wasn't air tight.

Whats the best way to deal with this - would it help to take all the bulb fittings out the back and then aim a hairdryer into the light? Headlamp unit of course is made of plastic so I guess I wouldn't want hairdryer on full heat?

Either way I would think that if I do get the moisture evaporated off somehow I am still going to be left with condensation streaks on the inside of the plastic?

Thoughts?
 Misting headlamp - henry k
>>.....headlamps has misting and condensation on the inside.
>>.....realising that after I last changed a bulb, the seal at the back of the unit wasn't air tight.
>>
I had the same problem with misting on a Mk I Focus but without blaming it on washing water.
I left the rubber cap off to allow evaporation and it never went back on.
It is still OK years later.

Misting headlamp - Manatee
Drive around with the headlamps on for a day or two.
 Misting headlamp - Old Navy
If the headlights on method doesn't work and you try the hairdryer, remove all the lamp holders so that there is an exit route for the warm air and you get an air flow through the unit.

The hairdryer worked on my Focus, the Ceed is absolute perfection. :-)))
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 8 May 12 at 09:50
 Misting headlamp - VxFan
>> Whats the best way to deal with this

Silica gel / dessicant / moisture absorber (or whatever other name it goes under). Those little bags you often find in shoe boxes, or some electrical goods boxes that are put there to soak up any dampness. It can also be found in the lid of some biscuit tins. I have to put a small bag of dessicant in the base of my front passenger side foglight to stop it from misting up (common fault).

>> I am still going to be left with condensation streaks on the inside of the plastic?

Very doubtful. I've seen several cars with misted headlights, mine included, and not seen any marks when they've dried out.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 8 May 12 at 10:41
 Misting headlamp - -
Next dry day just do your normal driving with the headlights on and the water will evaporate fully in no time, then remember to put the cover back on...some are marked 'top', presumably with a tiny cut out at the bottom to allow any water to escape.
Latest Forum Posts