Motoring Discussion > Plain blue wagons: for cars? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 16

Plain blue wagons: for cars? - WillDeBeest
On the railway at Didcot yesterday I saw a train composed of unmarked blue wagons, with what appeared to be a full-width corridor. I've noticed such trains before and wondered what they were for, but yesterday Beestling Major suggested they might be for cars. Not a bad shout, I thought, given the lengths some higher-end makers are going to to protect their products in transit. Anyone here got any more definite information?
 Plain blue wagons: for cars? - Focusless
>> Anyone here got any more definite information?

Not definite info, but I travel through Didcot 3 times a week and see cars on open trucks around there reasonably regularly. I've seen the ones you mention as well, and cars would be my guess too.

BTW always seem to be a lot higher than average concentration of posh cars in the Didcot car park - at least one Skyline and assorted Porches, Maseratis etc.
 Plain blue wagons: for cars? - Bromptonaut
Used to see Ford and Peugeot products moving on open or semi-open trucks on the West Coast Line. Not noticed recently but there are usually vehicles similar to those described by WdeB and Focus 'laid over' in Willesden yard. Some are marked in ways that suggest they operate through the tunnel to Europe.
 Plain blue wagons: for cars? - Zero
Depends on the carrier (there are a few rail transport companies)

Look here at one of my videos for one type (at the end - its a train load of Evokes)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7hZesXUdrc

>> Look here at one of my videos for one type (at the end - its
>> a train load of Evokes)

The trucks I'm thinking of have solid sides - haven't been able to find any pictures on web yet.
These are them: see 14:30
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdwaywhc4hI
 Plain blue wagons: for cars? - devonite
Cant see them being cars really, as each "Coach" only has Container-like doors on the ends! - unless they are side-loaded?
>> Cant see them being cars really, as each "Coach" only has Container-like doors on the
>> ends! - unless they are side-loaded?

Looking at 17:16, can't the doors be opened 2 ways, the wider option being enough to get a car through? Although I suspect you're right.
 Plain blue wagons: for cars? - crocks
That's spooky, Focus. I've got your You-tube video paused at exactly 17.16 looking at the same thing.

That has convinced me they are for cars. Wide end opening, no side access, shared bogies so not too heavy loads and very long. What else could you put in there?
Found some photos of model versions here.
www.cjmmodels.co.uk/V2-Products/CJM_Class_arbel.htm

Looks like they are car transporters.
Also found this on one model website.

"The wagons were built by Arbel Fauvet in France for Railfreight Distribution and introduced in 1993. They feature two decks inside and are fully enclosed to protect the vehicles being carried. Originally intended for Channel Tunnel traffic, they are now used on a variety of automotive flows both within the UK and from Britain to the Continent. At various times they have seen service from Cowley, Longbridge, Dagenham and many are currently in use carrying Jaguars from Halewood on Merseyside to the Continent. The wagons can be seen in trains of up to seven units, however they have been used singly on Enterprise or Connectrail services. Haulage is usually EWS Class 66 or 60, though recently Class 37's have been spotted through Stoke with trains of WIA's."
Good work Crocks.
And the website also had a photo of the real thing.
www.jthjth.plus.com/freight/ATM%20WIA%20car%20carrying%20wagon.pdf
 Plain blue wagons: for cars? - Zero
you load them at the end of the train and drive them through.
 Plain blue wagons: for cars? - WillDeBeest
Them's the ones, Crocks. Well done!

This means I'll have to put away my colourful theories of toxic waste and mobile government bunkers. The truth can be so dull.
}:---(
....Or maybe they have been very successful with the cover story.
 Plain blue wagons: for cars? - devonite
G.M Cucumbers! ;-)
Latest Forum Posts