Motoring Discussion > Suzuki Swift - 1.6 Sport Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 4

Suzuki Swift - 1.6 Sport - Lygonos
Got a new Suzuki Swift about 3 weeks ago - traded in the Shogun which was mostly being used by me to go back and forth to work - the FRV is a better car for carrying 6 as it keeps the full boot free.

So I wanted a warm hatch pretty much for commuting and driving pleasure - in the same vein as my old Civic VTi, rather than the crushingly fast (and potentially licence denting) Forester.

Suzuki Swift 1.6 Sport-

1.6 litre VVT (N/A): 136hp@6900rpm, 118lbft@4400rpm; comp. ratio 11.0:1 with bore 78mm x stroke 83mm. Suzuki recommend 0W-20 oil for best economy.

6-spd manual (FWD of course) - 5th = 20mph/krpm, 6th = 24mph/krpm.

0-62 8.7s (2nd runs just to 60mph - Whatcar got 7.9s to 60)

Test mpg 44.1 @ 147g/km CO2 (£135/yr tax), Insurance group 18

17" alloys (195/45x17) - Around £130 each for OE Contis, £90 for Goodyear Eagles. Tyre pressures are 36/33psi F/R for 'comfort' and 41/36 for 'economy'.

Weight: 1045kg.

Made in Suzuki's Hungarian factory, and gets 5 stars from EuroNCAP crash testing.

Handling is very sweet - electric steering pump means almost no feedback/kickback through the wheel but I've noticed this is compensated by using eyes, bum, and your internal accelerometers - after a couple of hours you don't miss the kick in the hands every time you hit a bump. Very grippy and almost instant steering response, no doubt helped by it barely weighing a ton. Ride is surprisingly good - negligible body roll, but soaks up minor bumps, and even speed humps at modest pace are largely smoothed out - far better, for example, than with BMW M-suspension.

Performance is brisk accompanied by a nicely fettled 16-valve note - like the Honda VTEC it never feels harsh or strained, simply smoother and throatier as it comes on-cam around 4000-4500rpm. Acceleration is more mundane at shopping speeds, but it will pull without labouring from 1700-1800rpm in 6th (~40mph) despite the high comp ratio: I assume the slightly undersquare engine helps here.

Gearchange is quite accurate but slightly obstructive especially going into 1st, and moreso when the 'box is cold. May wear-in a bit with miles. The 6 gears are well spaced and the long-legged top is welcome on M-ways/NSL roads.

Inside, it has 4 seats, the rear seat doesn't split, and the boot is quite small but a good shape - the driver's seat is well bolstered and with steering adjusting rake/reach I can get comfortable (well over 6ft and around 14-15 stone) - leg room in the back is good if the front guys aren't lanky sods. Plenty of 'hatroom' to satisfy HJ...

Stereo has 6 speakers and is OK, nothing special. USB socket near cig lighter for MP3 layers. Digital climate control works very well, and it also has cruise control and HID headlights which are welcome.

Stop-start button does what it says on the tin and the locking works without needing to take the key out your pocket (plipper contains a key to open car in event of plip-fail).

After 1 tank of petrol (95 RON), it appears the fuel computer is a big fat liar (first for me in a Jap car - CRV, FRV, Shogun all were within 2-3% of brim-to-brim calculations) - saying average mpg was 46, I calculated 39 (322 miles on ~8.25 gallons) although this was at a different forecourt and the car when refilling was level rather than slightly nose forward (I'll amend this if subsequent tanks are closer to the computer figure).

Power:kerb weight is identical to a 205 1.6GTi, although the ratio compares a bit better once the driver gets in.

No options as everything is standard (inc metallic/pearl paint) as is rear 'privacy' glass. No spare wheel is a potential nuisance - not even space for a spacesaver under the boot floor as the rear suspension and twin exhausts require more room than cooking Swifts which have room for a spacesaver.

Very happy with it so far (500 miles)...
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 9 May 12 at 00:35
 Suzuki Swift - 1.6 Sport - Runfer D'Hills
Just what the doctor ordered then ! Sounds good. Sometimes I wish I could manage with a smaller car. A girl in our office has just got a Cooper S. That's fun too. Hope you enjoy it.
 Suzuki Swift - 1.6 Sport - DP
Sounds like a cracker.

These are apparently one of the best kept secrets around in terms of stonking front wheel drive chassis. I've seen some very complementary comments on the handling from various owners and road testers on the interweb.
 Suzuki Swift - 1.6 Sport - Lygonos
It appears Suzuki have done an excellent job of updating the old Swift Sport:

Faster, stronger, more economical, comfier, quieter, and even a wee tad lighter.

Has 7 airbags (usual 6 plus a kneebag) for when I take it 'off-road'...

It's also a helluva lot quicker to clean than the Shogun was - to reach the middle of the roof I had to stand on the top of the rear tyres, and I've got arms like a gibbon!
 Suzuki Swift - 1.6 Sport - Ian (Cape Town)
Cracking little car.
well put together as well.
Latest Forum Posts