Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 97

BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - R.P.
It arrives Tuesday - it's technically mine now....but I can wait, honest...
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - BobbyG
I read in this week's Auto Express that a facelifted X1 has been announced and some prices are lower than current model.....
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Runfer D'Hills
Tempted Bobby?
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Londoner
I've always liked the X1, flying in the face of a lot of opinion in so doing. However, I was at an Audi dealer today and had a good play with the Q3 in the showroom.

I must say I am very attracted to it, and have it pencilled in as a possible next car.

"What Car" made the Q3 convincing winner in a recent group test with the X1 and a Subaru thingummybob.
Q3 / X1 ?

Girls cars aren't they?...

:-)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - -
Not sure about girls, might be gurls...those camp DRLs...;)
Hey steady on,, the X1 has proper DRLs - headlamps !
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - BobbyG
Humph, definitely not, although if I was, I am sure it would be a low mileage used one I would go for as their values are likely to plummet with the facelift model out etc.......

I reckon could probably also get some winter tyres thrown in for free as folks will be desperate to get rid of them, you know......
There's a white one up for grabs in Wales I've heard of. Winter boots too by all accounts. One pensioner owner I think. Might be a bit doddery with luck. You could probably talk him into a good deal...

:-))
Just sorted the insurance - it arrives Tuesday morningish...
I'm assuming that you'll be giving us a report on the car after you've had chance to assess it a bit in different conditions?
Absolutely - I will be using it as a gentleman's carriage the next day, no doubt it will get an outing that evening as well. I'm in work that day, curses...
It's arrived, delivered by my wife with a 3/4 full tank of petrol, had a sit in it, take it out for a spin later.....sound splendid that engine. Half leather seats are classy enough....some photos will follow shortly.
Don't go too far mind. It'll soon enough have a half tank of petrol...Still, at least this one'll look like a bloke's car...

Enjoy !

Snowed here today BTW. Best get those winters back on the X1 !

It's a fine car, make no mistake. Still getting used to driving around with no diesel soundtrack for the first time in ages. Whilst on the subject, the abject aural pleasure of that straight six has got to be heard to be believed - a very quick car, make no mistake but the way it does it feels almost stately - no fuss at but very, very quick. I overtook a flourescent Focus ST - just despatched it as if it was a mere trundler...very fast. The fuel computer shows 35mpg - which isn't too hideous - my FiL doesn't hang around either. Ride is slightly more bump, thump than the X1's - maybe down to the run-flats, not that bad maybe emphasises how well BMW have evolved the ride characteristics of late.

Half leather interior is to my taste nicer and more cosseting than the X1's leather interior. The dash appears a little dated compared to the X1's. Everything is very light, the steering and clutch are lighter than the X1's. The X1 has electric PAS, think the 3 has hydraulic.

The mett. green colour gives it a Q car feel - only the badging and the twin exhaust giving a clue as to its actual powertrain. Typically BMW every control is just nicely weighted - has LED rear lights - nice !
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Bagpuss
>> Whilst on the subject, the abject aural pleasure of that straight six has got to be heard to be believed

Agree. I toyed with the idea of a 335i before opting for the 335d. The potential single figure mpg on the autobahn persuaded me otherwise. If I did fewer miles though, I'd take the petrol straight 6.

>> The X1 has electric PAS, think the 3 has hydraulic.

All E90 3 Series have electric power steering except the 335i/d and the M3.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - DP
One of the best mass produced engines in living memory, that BMW six. Enjoy it.

I loved my E90, even as a lowly 318d. Better to drive in so many ways than the F30.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 15 May 12 at 19:52
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Dog
So lets get this right Walt, you live in a country that is basically wall-to-wall green, is that right Walt?

And you say this Teutonic Chariot you whizz around the country lanes in, is also green, Walt?

Walt ... you gotta be kidding me, right!
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - PeterS
I can't recall every having seen a green E90 - is it a dark 'oxford green' type colour, as seen on e38/39 models? Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen any recent BMW in green, other than the pale silvery/green popular on the 1 series. I wonder if it's an (expensive) 'individual' colour?
No ! Its a standard colour. Come the daylight I'll photograph it.
Can you remember what BMW call the colour? ( for those of us who will be impatient / bored enough to google it )

Green on the V5.
If you put "BMW 3 series, up to 3 years old, green, national" into autotrader search it comes up with 3 available. If it's that colour it's quite nice !
It's difficult to describe - it's not pea green ! very restrained bit dark green. Just done some googling looks like it was Deep Green Metallic....the images on line are difficult to match up...
Don't remember a metallic green being available when I chose my E90. Sounds like one of those "BMW Individual" colours.
Usefully Mrs RP took a photo when she collected it ! Uploading shortly.
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/7205916940/in/photostream

There ! Not an easy colour to photograph !
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - bathtub tom
Looks gunmetal grey to me.

Surprised you didn't choose beige.

;>)
It's green for definite, told you it was hard to photograph ! No choice in the colour, I rather like it...quite understated brings it into Q car territory...
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/7207939464/in/photostream/lightbox/

Another try this morning in the sun - still doesn't look right
I like this shade of green on BMW's. It's called "Boston Green". Looks great with a light interior, IMHO.

bimmermotorsports.com/bmw/e36m3boston.html

BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Focusless
How about this one?
www.bimmerboost.com/content.php?1971-Not-so-subtle-Russians-wrap-a-BMW-F10-5-series-is-bright-green-chrome-foil
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Pat
It's that delicate shade of green people go just before they are going to be seasick;)

Pat
It most likely is Silver/Grey, but looks Green in Wales.

:}
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Pat
Best we leave him alone Dog, else he'll flounce:)

Pat
:o}
Well, whatever colour it is, it looks nice. Enjoy !
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/7223240710/in/photostream

Still trying to capture the colour....it looked really green tonight.....still doesn't photograph green !

Had a decent drive in it today, the long way back from work. Very, very smooth drive, build quality is a degree or two better than the X1. It can be driven in near silence at certain speeds....almost electric car quiet. The phrase "turbine smooth" is often used in test reports - I now know exactly what that feels like, "on the cam" it is very, very quick but never frightening - very docile in fact that belies the power of this beast. Feature of the day is the "hill start assist" from rest when you lift off the brake pedal, the brakes stay on for a second or so complementing a squeal free take off - very civilized.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 18 May 12 at 22:19
Very pleasing, but there's someone across the road with a caravan. Better move. Can't have that sort of thing..
I've told him to shift it.
Tell them you'll stump for a pair of matching Fair Isle pullovers if he does. They'll not be able to resist the temptation.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Zero
>> I've told him to shift it.

With that half built breeze block thing it looks like you have moved next to Dale farm.
Got dragged away today by the lad building the house who was using it as an office. I reckon he must have read this. I think he must have Lud's money.
Why don't you try to capture the colour using a decent camera Pugley.
My wife might take exception to that Doggie !
Just send the .jpg and I will run it through photoshop. What colour do you want it? Dragon Red?
No offence meant bwana but, its only a 7MP 3 x optical zoom jobbie.
The colour looks better in the most recent photo than it does in the 2 previous ones.
It's a house being built zeddo - appreciate may be a rare sight down South these days !
Still using Wattle and Daub up there I see.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Armel Coussine
Chubby lickle Bimmer... not a bad colour if you aren't a superstitious minicab driver...

Of course well west of Liverpool they are probably rebuilding collapsing hovels all the time innit...

It's ages since I've driven a BMW, and I have to confess to a slight twinge of envy. None of the ones I have driven has been that nice.

Bit of a driver's car by my recent standards. Mmmmm... If only I had Lud's bread.
Perhaps in daylight? Cloudy, overcast type conditions. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Shiny!
Tasman Green is the official colour. The car matched the spec of a brochure featured motor. It was built 2 weeks before it was registered...
Looks nice R.P. - almost like a greenish version of sparkling graphite (the grey colour pre LCI 3 series came in)
Grey green (like my hair) apparently: www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184415
Did you HPI it before you parted with the readies?

I'm thinking of a dyslexic, cloning gang. The first three letters of grey are the same as green.

;>)
No HPI - he's my father in law - I know where he lives and I know where he keeps the key to his new 328 !
The F30 3 series is undoubtedly a good car, but surely he's going to regret moving from a BMW straight 6 to turbo'ed 4? Though as a company car the 328i is truely impressive - £29k, 20% tax, 155mph and 0 - 62 in under 6 seconds :-)
Mention was made yesterday of some nostalgia towards the 325's 6 cylinder soundtrack....told him I'd make him a CD to put on when he drove it..
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Avant
I always thought it would be only a matter of time before you got back to a straight-six. I ought to sell my Z3 before it gets expensive (no major repairs in nearly 4 years and now 11 years old....), but I know I'd miss it.

That's a good tip for any used car buyer - get one which is being replaced by another of the same make, as with your F-i-L. It normally means that the car gave satisfaction.
I drove it to the the Theatre last night (stewarding Jack Dee's show - brilliant BTW someone I've wanted to see since a kid ) - stunning car to drive - CC at 70mph keeps the MPG indicator in the 40s, it proceeds in near silence. When not CC'd it sort of wafts along with minimal throttle inputs in almost Jag like silence (road noise from the Run Flats spoil that illusion) - a muted roar from the six kicking in to "disappear" a little boy racer with big ears behind me at one point. What a car. Smelt like new yesterday after a day in the glorious sunshine we had yesterday.

We had a spin in the 328 on Saturday - nice car, good to see that BMW have reverted to a classic 3 instrument pack with a proper man sized temp. gauge !
Nice! Did you get the impression that the new 3 is around the same size as the old E39 5 series? I've read it a couple of times, and while I know cars get bigger every generation I'm surprised that the 3 has gone to 5 size in just 2 iterations?
I sitll miss the sound of the straight 6 in my old (E30) 325i. So tempting to pick up another - they're so cheap nowadays - but we got rid of it because three cars was overkill, and I can't even use the practicality card now we have an estate car anyway. Oh well. Perhaps the A4 should be swapped for a modern supermini (or maybe a Twizzy!!) and an older 6 cylinder 3 series convertible should take it's place. No, definitely haven't thought about it. Not at all ;-)
According to FiL who is a spec anorak he says the new 3 is 3 inches longer and 1/2 an in wider - it certainly feel wider in the cabin but may be the illusion caused by the very light leather interior. I have to say I savour dark cabins - I think that for the third of the price of his I got a very good deal - he's already missing the engine noise, told him I'd burn a CD for him to play. I feel the build quality is "lighter"...
>> According to FiL who is a spec anorak he says the new 3 is 3
>> inches longer and 1/2 an in wider - it certainly feel wider in the cabin
>> but may be the illusion caused by the very light leather interior.

No, I have the classic Germanic coal-hole black/grey interior, and it is noticeably more spacious than the E90's, particularly in the rear.

The kids booster seats no longer foul the seat belt anchors, and there is noticeably more generous rear legroom.

Can't say I find the build "lighter", personally. Biggest failing over the E90 is the handling. The F30 simply isn't as good on standard suspension as the E90 was. Rides better, but otherwise a significant backwards step.
Yes, the handling of the E90 is exceptional. My car is now on summer tyres and it has the M-Sport suspension. It is sometimes quite disconcerting to steer into a curve at autobahn speeds (above ca. 180km/h) and experience no understeer whatsoever.

The coal hole interior on mine (including black roof lining and gloss black trim) is only relieved by the blue stitching on the alcantara seats.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - WillDeBeest
When I was researching Mercedes as an option for us I discovered not only that you could have one with a black headlining but that this was something people were prepared to pay extra for. Why? Even a coffin has a white lining to the lid. There can't be that many people who never grew out of their goth phase, can there?
The black headlining would have cost extra in the 3 Series, but was supplied as standard as part of the M Sport pack, together with lowered suspension, 18" alloys, alcantara seats and a body kit which you can either describe as tastefully enhancing the style of the car, or as bling.

I do still listen to my old goth music, but then my wife anyway attributes my choice of car to a midlife crisis.
My E90 has a black interior (half leather) and I feel it's just about perfect to my needs - the X1 has a Dakota Leather interior and although it seems to have matured a little during my tenure, I was slightly uneasy about it. My FiL's car is too light for my personal taste, with light leather and carpeting.

The other thing I meant to mention was the return by BMW to a four clock display, Speedo, Rev counter, Fuel and Temp.....classicly handsome.
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - WillDeBeest
Yes, I notice Mercedes has done the same with the 212 E-class - although in that case it's five dials, since they still insist on fitting in an outmoded analogue clock where only the driver can see it. My 211 has LCD bar graphs for fuel and temperature, which, although they can be read quite precisely if I make the effort, are harder to take in at a glance than a classical swinging needle.
>> The other thing I meant to mention was the return by BMW to a four
>> clock display, Speedo, Rev counter, Fuel and Temp.....classicly handsome.

It's an oil temp gauge of all things, too.

In the diesel, it takes about 3-4 miles to move off the stop, and about another 10-12 miles of mixed driving to haul itself up towards the 100 degree mark at which it seems to settle.

I agree, the layout of the clocks is lovely.
Just been sorting odds and ends on the 3 this evening - Very solid build quality in all areas that are visible, including the wrap round door cards and it has both shiny lighty handles and proper puddle lights with bulbs. There is no dipstick just an irritating electronic one (like on the bike) which the engine needs to be at operating temp to register which is a pathetic thing (that's the time you need proper lube from cold). It's nice having a proper secure boot again.

>> The other thing I meant to mention was the return by BMW to a four
>> clock display, Speedo, Rev counter, Fuel and Temp.....classicly handsome.

The lancer has a four clock display, Speedo, Rev counter, Fuel and Temp. Classically handsome is not what springs to mind tho.
Unlike its owner of course !
Ruggedly good looking he is.
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/7243645236/in/photostream/

Another shot at it - this time using my bike camera......yeah yeah the date's wrong !
Is it this colour R.P? tinyurl.com/cuzpnjn

I think that looks great - I don't remember seeing it as a UK 5 series colour, but if it is I'm almost tempted to change ;-)

Yep that's the one - it looks pretty good, this one is in good nick, regularly cleaned and autoguarded from new.....it just feels the right colour IYKWIM - not silver, white etc etc....very Q carish..
I agree; very understated colour indeed - nice! Just a shame that on BMWs configurator it looks nothing like that... And that a 528iSE Touring with a few options is £44k :-(
Having said I've never seen one in that colour, I did actually see one on the A27 this morning :-) A '10' plate series touring - very understated, though despite the glorious sunshine and blue sky down here on the south coast, it didn't look anywhere near as bright or vibrant as the one under showroom style lighting. I think I'd prefer it if it was a little brighter; still, makes a change from black, Le Mans blue and silver ;-)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Alastairw
I had a bit of a drive in an F30 320d for a couple of hours on Friday, bimbling about the Stratford area of East London.

Quite impressed, but when the 'assessor', asked me whether I would buy one with my own money I had to say no for these reasons:

1. The boot is too small.
2. Its not a hatch back.
3. Lack of space in the back - very cramped for three people behind me, and I'm not tall.
4. In the spec I was driving it would be £30 flipping grand. I bought a house for less than that in 1993!
5. The engine noise - its definitely a diesel, and the stop/start is quite intrusive, shaking the gear lever from side ti side as you dip the clutch.

Despite this I passed the assessment and am deemed fit to cart the great and good round the Greater Manchester area come July!
>> Ruggedly good looking he is.

Bit of a girl when it comes to turbos though.

you offering to give me a blow job?
Well, I've heard it said everyone should try everything once but on this occasion I'll pass if you don't mind. Thanks for the offer though.

On the off-chance of having to use it for a non-commute work related matter phoned the very nice people from L&V - "Business Use - no problem, upgraded no charge" I rather like them now. So that's free Winter Tyres upgrade, free reg number change....odd intermittent fault crops up very now and again.....the right hand indicator system displays a fault and the lights flash rapidly - suspect a loose bulb connection either front or rear - I have noticed when re-booting the car that it resolves it. May be something else...as I say only happens very occasionally.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 1 Dec 12 at 11:40
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Avant
"I have noticed when re-booting the car that it resolves it."

Quite right - give it a good kick now and again. Much the best remedy.
350 mile round trip yesterday to Cardiff and back - excellent A470 chariot.....stunning overtaker.
>> .....stunning overtaker.
>>
BMW's forte. Only the weaker petrols are a tad disappointing in that regard - all the others are brilliant at it.

Audi's don't have the same raw power. That's why we have to get really close to the car in front before attempting an overtake. And stay there a long time while we wait our opportunity. ;-)
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - idle_chatterer
>> >> .....stunning overtaker.
>> >>
>> BMW's forte. Only the weaker petrols are a tad disappointing in that regard - all
>> the others are brilliant at it.
>>

Despite all the nay-sayers and those who would gloat at a rwd BMW struggling in the snow (due to the ineptitude of the driver or specification of silly tyres no-doubt), I have never driven a car as powerful, refined and well balanced as a 6 cylinder E90. The fact that both petrol and diesel 6-cylinder variants are surprisingly economical is a huge bonus.

Really glad to see you're enjoying this car RP.
And this is 'just' the 318i ... www.youtube.com/watch?v=16UqJb0f5oM
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Duncan
If I put BMW and E90 into the Autotrader search box, I get 11 results.

All at one dealership in Kent!

Strange, or what?
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - John H
>> If I put BMW and E90 into the Autotrader search box, I get 11 results.
>>
>> All at one dealership in Kent!
>>
>> Strange, or what?
>>

That's because they put E90 in the title describing the car in their ads.

BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - Duncan
>> That's because they put E90 in the title describing the car in their ads.
>>

If the 'E90' bit is such a good selling point, why don't they all do it?
I spose those 'in the know', know that the E90 is a good'n, I wouldn't have known an E90 from a C90 TBH,
'til I fraternised with you lot.
>> And this is 'just' the 318i ... www.youtube.com/watch?v=16UqJb0f5oM

I had one of these for 3 months last year. Engine wise, it was one of the most gutless, miserable things I have driven in ages. You had to wring its neck constantly to get any meaningful performance from it, and as for overtaking, just forget it.

On-paper performance was reasonable, but the second you stopped driving it like you stole it, it was flat and lethargic. And it wasn't fast enough when you did thrash it to make it worth the effort.

Not a nice car. I don't miss it.

EDIT: The E90 is a very nice car with a more appropriate engine. But not the 318i.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 5 Dec 12 at 10:54
>>I had one of these for 3 months last year. Engine wise, it was one of the most gutless, miserable things I have driven in ages. You had to wring its neck constantly to get any meaningful performance from it, and as for overtaking, just forget it<<

And what would it be like with an auto box I wonder.

:-(
 BMW 3-Series E90 - 325i Man Maths... - TeeCee
>> There can't be that many people who never grew out of their goth phase, can there?
>>

Mine was so serious that, at the sight of my girlfriend and I shopping for Talbot Alpine partts, an opportunist Peugeot salesman hurried into the parts department in an attempt to offload a Wolsley hearse he'd taken as a trade-in.

Smart bloke. It nearly worked.

Even that didn't have black headlining. A pleasant cream colour as I recall.
Latest Forum Posts