Motoring Discussion > Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 10

Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - L'escargot
Occasionally I have to make a journey which includes travelling south on the A46 from Newark and turning right onto the A6097 towards Doncaster. Before the dualling of the A46 it was a simple matter of turning right at the Margidunum roundabout. Now, however, the roundabout is in the midst of the A46 dualling work between Newark and Leicester. Recently I made the journey for the first time since the start of the roadworks in this area and the junction now involves slip-roads, fly-unders, fly-overs and (at least!) two roundabouts, which I found confusing. Has anyone come across a map or drawing that shows details of the current layout of this junction?
 Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - Meldrew
Just had a look at my allegedly up to date TomTom and it isn't helpful - sorry
 Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - Meldrew
please try Google mapping which has been updated recently, in this area.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 11 May 12 at 10:07
 Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - Pat
Is this any help to you L'es?

www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/25214.aspx

Pat
 Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - L'escargot
>> please try Google mapping which has been updated recently, in this area.

Thanks Meldrew. I got a good picture of the road layout from that.
 Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - Dave_
I wouldn't worry about trying to equate your position with the "old" layout - that just gets me in more of a muddle when the road doesn't go where I think it ought to. Follow the Lowdham/ East Bridgford signs through the new interchange and you'll soon get accustomed to it.

It took me a while to get used to it when they bypassed Bingham :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 11 May 12 at 11:36
 Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - -
>> It took me a while to get used to it when they bypassed Bingham :)
>>

Used to have a regular delivery at Loudham, and used the road from Nottm to Loudham often enough when leaving BCA...always had to go through Bingham to avoid the low bridge, presumably no longer need to do that, pity, usually good totty spotting on Bingham so they tell me.

When the A52/A46 junction was being built recently i went wrong several times, as Dave says you have to ignore your sense of direction there now and follow the signs, none of the roads seem to go where you think they should.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 11 May 12 at 12:04
 Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - PhilW
"the A6097 towards Doncaster"

I often use this going North - missed it a couple of times since dualling because it is no longer signed "Doncaster" just East Bridgeford. Mind you, going North, it doesn't matter much, probably quicker going to Newark and then onto A1 - but then you miss the bluebells in woods near Clumber Park! Bluebells spectacular at the mo!
A46 much better now it's dualled to Newark.
Now, how about the A453 from Nottingham south to M1? A road to be avoided at the moment.
 Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - Harleyman
>> Now, how about the A453 from Nottingham south to M1? A road to be avoided
>> at the moment.
>>

Don't start me off! It's been a road to be avoided for as long as I can remember.

I originate from Thurgarton, the next village to Lowdham, my family lived in the village for over 150 years; L'es, if you're not in a hurry might I suggest going the "pretty way" and taking the A617 out of Newark, turning off on the A612 through Upton (home of the British Horological Society if you like clocks) and then Southwell with its magnificent Minster. You could then either follow the road through to Oxton, which brings you out topside of Lowdham on the A6097, or stay on the A612 and go through Thurgarton (lunch at the Red Lion, opposite my old home, is recommended) and take a quick walk round from the pub to see one of the prettiest cricket grounds in England (even Wisden agrees) overlooked by Thurgarton Priory which is now a private house but in my day was Boots' the Chemists research centre. Carry on out of Thurgarton and you meet up with the A6097 at Lowdham roundabout.

Website here for some village history;

www.thurgartonhistory.co.uk/
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 11 May 12 at 22:22
 Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - Dave_
The A453 dualling has been approved, hasn't it? 3 years of works due to begin imminently.

I only use it in the evening occasionally so I miss the worst delays.
 Junction/intersection of A46 and A6097 near Newark - Harleyman
>> The A453 dualling has been approved, hasn't it? 3 years of works due to begin
>> imminently.
>>

It's been approved and shelved ad nauseam for decades. You'll note by the bridge construction near Ratcliffe-on-Soar that it was originally designed to be dual carriageway anyway, though I'd hazard a guess that today's Elf and Safety constraints will mean that those bridges have to be replaced.

The main source of objection has been the perceived need to demolish some buildings on the Clifton Estate, though many in Nottingham would only see this (or preferably total obliteration) as an improvement to the city. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts