Motoring Discussion > Best route Cholesy nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 14

Best route Cholesy nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - henry k
Can someone recommend the best route from Cholesy near Didcot to Esher.
My daughter intends leaving just after 7am for an appointment just after 9am.

The simplest route looks Goring, Pangboure, Theale then M4 M25 M3 off at Sunbury. She is familiar with alternatives from M4 J 8/9 towards town and the M25 to the M3 so can jump off anywhere along that part.

I suspect thealternative, A329 Bracknell will only end up with a M3 queue exiting on to the M25 and blocking through M3 traffic.

I have absolutely no idea of traffic flow on a mad Monday rush hour.

Thanks
 Best route Cholesy nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - Zero
M25 between M4 and M3 is truly nasty in the AM rush hour,

If it were me, It would be A329/Lightwater bypass, chobham, West Byfleet, Pyrford, A3, A244 to Esher,
 Best route Cholesy nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - WillDeBeest
Eastbound M4 is usually busy but manageable at that time on a Monday, at least from J8/9 where I join. The M3 is generally nastier, at least to judge from the traffic reports I hear on the radio. The slow part can be queueing to join the motorway, certainly at J8/9 but probably at J12 too; hard to avoid queues altogether even in Cameron's Unemployed Britain.

So stick with the obvious route because any alternatives will have queues of its own; it'll just take longer to get to them.
 Best route Cholesy nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - wotspur
Good call Zero, but what about coming straight down the m40 beyond the M25 then at Polish war memorial head down A312 towards Feltham, Hampton, Esher .
If she's happy with the M25 and comes off at heathrow, goes towards Staines, alongside the reservoirs , by the old Crooked Billet pub, towards Sunbury, and Kempton park upto Hampton.
Whatever she does try and avoid M3/M25 intersection and Weybridge high street, both nightmares!
I know as I live in Weybridge !
>>Good call Zero
Looks interesting. I thought Bracknell was to be avoided but your local section looks good.

>> Polish war memorial head down A312 towards Feltham, Hampton, Esher .
That bit takes about 45 mins off peak
>>
>>If she's happy with the M25 and comes off at heathrow, goes towards Staines, alongside the reservoirs , by the old Crooked Billet pub, towards Sunbury, and Kempton park upto Hampton.
>>
Good stuff
This is a part of the route she knows due to her regular Esher Oxford runs.
Also come off the M4 at Langley and take the A4 to Waterside, T5 and towards Staines.

M4 J 8/9 and then to Bray and the A308 to Hampton Courtis another varient

>>Whatever she does try and avoid M3/M25 intersection
The M3 signs 15 mile before the junction is enough warning :-(
>>and Weybridge high street, both nightmares! I know as I live in Weybridge !
Just the sort of info I do not have.

After a lot of prodding she has a lot of the Esher to J4 of the M40 varients now in the memory bank.

Is Henley, A404 (M) worth a go.
Routes that look viable on a map may not flow.
 Best route Cholesy nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - WillDeBeest
Henley isn't too busy early in the morning; so many retired people that there's nobody about first thing. But I wouldn't bother coming through from somewhere else if I could get on to the M4 further west, since I'd only have to trundle along the 40mph A4130, then risk a queue on the A404(M).

Zero clearly knows the Surrey end better than me, and the M25 from the M40 to the A3 is ugly at that time, so I don't see the benefit of using the M40. It might be worth staying on the M4 to J4 - i.e. crossing the M25 - before cutting south, but I seldom venture south of the M4 so I don't know how well that would work.

I'd say allow plenty of time and keep it simple.
 Best route Cholesy nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - Duncan
If using the A3 for the last bit of the trip I would come off the A3 at Cobham and use the A307(?) Portsmouth Road into Esher. The A244 Northbound from the A3 along Copsem Lane/Claremont lane into Esher can be very busy, especially if there is something on at Sandown Park.

By the by, if looking for a car park, Waitrose can be very convenient.
Last edited by: Duncan on Sat 12 May 12 at 08:04
 Best route Cholesy nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - Dave_
I'm not a local, but as a general rule of thumb I expect to make virtually no progress on or inside the M25 between 8am-9am, and I plan my journey timings accordingly.

Much rather get somewhere half an hour early and have a coffee than be staring at the clock in a mile-long traffic jam with 20 minutes to go.
I too favour adjusting travel times but my daughter is a 48 hours in a day type and will try to cram everything in.
What do dads know ???

Duncan, A man of real very local knowlege.
I have often seen Copsem lane clogged.
I used Esher as short hand :-) The cul de sac of Claygate is the true destination.
 Best route Cholesy nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - Duncan
>> I used Esher as short hand :-) The cul de sac of Claygate is the
>> true destination.

Don't forget (I am sure you must know this) one can get from Claygate along Stevens Lane over the A3 and into Chessington.
 Best route Cholsey nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - Avant
Whichever way she goes there will be a lot of traffic so ideally she should leave at 6.00 and get there early and find somewhere for breakfast.

Or her kind dad could subsidise a night in a Premier Inn / Travelodge near Esher on Sunday night.
 Best route Cholsey nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - henry k
>> Whichever way she goes there will be a lot of traffic so ideally she should
>> leave at 6.00 and get there early and find somewhere for breakfast.
>>
Sensible idea but this is my daughter. She will be training at 06.00.

>> Or her kind dad could subsidise a night in a Premier Inn / Travelodge near
>> Esher on Sunday night.
>>
Hotel dad / Chez nous is just a mile away. I do not expect to see her on Monday as it will probably be a quick U turn and sprint back to Oxford.
 Best route Cholsey nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - henry k
Thanks agin for all the suggestions. A final update.
She left at 7:30 and arrived spot on time at 9:50 then had to wait 50 mins.

Traffic England showed Amber for East bound M4 traffic from Newbury to the M25
& red for nothbound M5 traffic from Winchester to the M25
& of course congestion on the M25 western section.

She had problems with her Sat Nav re routing so I told her to do in in sections en route
1 to Theale
2 to Bracknell / Guildford
3 Lightwater to Wisley
She did say the M3 was clear as she went over but it may still have been clogged at the M25.

All quiet til the next panic :-)
 Best route Cholsey nr Didcot to Esher. Mon morn - DP
>> She did say the M3 was clear as she went over but it may still
>> have been clogged at the M25.

That would have been due to the multi-vehicle accident between J4 and J3 this morning , and the resulting lane closure which would have been thinning out the traffic. Londonbound from J3 would have probably been unusually brilliant this morning.

Under normal circumstances, J4a to J2 Londonbound on a Monday morning does a pretty good impression of a car park after about 7 am.

Latest Forum Posts