Motoring Discussion > MoT question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 17

MoT question - Rudedog
A quick MoT question for those in the know..
My wife's car unfortunately failed it's test yesterday, and the item that it failed on was that the front wheel was badly damaged (rim bent), now the wheel is a steel one with a plastic trim covering it completely, so the tester must have had to removed the trim to inspect the rim, is this OK? I thought there were limits on what can be removed for inspections to be carried out. To my untrained eye I can see where the rim lip is slightly bent but it doesn't look that bad.
 MoT question - -
I'd be inclined to thank the MOT tester for pointing out damage that could, if not spotted, result in serious consequences to my loved one.

Another wheel on, simple retest, and the price of a couple of pints in his sweaty mitt would be my plan.
 MoT question - swiss tony
Have you seen the inside of the rim?
That could be worse....

I think that was a good shout by the tester... shows he was doing his job properly.
 MoT question - Zero
If your untrained eye can see it, his experienced trained eye can spot it a mile off, wheel trim or no wheel trim.
 MoT question - Rudedog
OK, my slight unease is that it failed for exactly the same reason last year and they were supposed to have fitted a new rim for the new MoT to be issued, just seems very coincidental that it's happened again, and on further inspection the steel wheel looks far older than just 12 months. I don't mind paying for work that needs doing but I HATE being ripped off.
 MoT question - L'escargot
>> ............ last year ..... they were supposed to have fitted a new rim for the new MoT to
>> be issued, ........

Didn't you check at the time whether a new wheel had been fitted?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 12 May 12 at 16:29
 MoT question - Iffy
Sounds like they bought in four rims for a customer who didn't collect them.

You've got two to go.

MoT question - Cliff Pope
How can you badly damage a steel rim and not know about it?

Or having done it, not want to get the steering alignment checked?
 MoT question - Ian (Cape Town)
>> How can you badly damage a steel rim and not know about it?
>>
>> Or having done it, not want to get the steering alignment checked?
>>
A 30mph top speed?

I'm driving a 2000 Cuore auto at present.
37 000 kms on the clock. Goes from Granny's house to the shops and back.
 MoT question - Slidingpillar
In the course of doing an MOT, the car is jacked up, and the wheels rotated. Primary reason I think is to check the wheel bearings and some suspension bits, but a wheel irregularity will show itself quite plainly.

My bet is the tester saw one, and attention drawn, looked closely. Doubt if he was delayed by more than 10 seconds.
 MoT question - Iffy
Wouldn't the tester check under the car on a ramp for structural soundness?

He could have seen the bent wheel then.

MoT question - Slidingpillar
Yes, but I bet it was pretty obvious when the wheel was spun. Depends what he did first I suppose.
 MoT question - Rudedog
I guess I'm far too trusting then, if the car failed its MoT and it needed a new rim and then a day later it has been issued with a new MoT my thoughts would be that garage had changed the wheel for it to then pass. I have looked at the rim and visual damage is very slight to the rim lip with an indent of about 5mm x 50mm and no change to the steering sensation at speed. I'm going back on Monday with the old invoice, maybe I'm putting 2 and 2 together and seeing 5 but something just doesn't feel right.
 MoT question - Iffy
...maybe I'm putting 2 and 2 together and seeing 5 but something just doesn't feel right...

Tend to agree.

The new wheel from last year should still look obviously newer than the rest.

I take it the new one is not on one of the other axles?

Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 12 May 12 at 18:19
 MoT question - Armel Coussine
I once ran over a breezeblock standing on edge with both offside wheels of a Land Rover (I had foolishly taken it for a cardboard box until too late). Both wheels got dented rims although Alhamdulillah! the tyres were hardly bruised let alone cut.

It wasn't my car and I was quite embarrassed, but offered to straighten the rims with a big hammer and did so. No air was lost at any point.
 MoT question - sherlock47
Are you sure that the other driver of the car does not regularly park somewhere they can damage the rim? eg kerbing damage or similar? is the damage a scraping or impact?
 MoT question - bathtub tom
I agree with pmh. If the driver is careless enough to damage one rim, would they do it again?

Speaking from my experience of a wife and two daughters.
 MoT question - -
>> Speaking from my experience of a wife and two daughters.
>>

who don't know about this forum?....:-)

agree up to a point though...i tease SWM mercilessly about the numerous scrapes which she always does NSF...so with her in car i manage to scrape the entire circumference of the OSF...doh.
Latest Forum Posts