Motoring Discussion > What fun Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 18

What fun - Iffy
Driving to work on Friday I exited two roundabouts a little faster than usual.

It was raining hard, and the roads were slippery.

The CC3 began to lose grip before the traction control cut in and out a few times.

I didn't do a lot more than unwind the lock a tiny bit and keep the power lightly on.

Wouldn't have been much of a thrill for Lewis Hamilton, but it made me smile.

What fun - Runfer D'Hills
Be those cheap tyres Iffy...

:-)
 What fun - Iffy
...Be those cheap tyres Iffy...

Safer fun in some respects.

Super grippy tyres would need a much higher speed to provoke a response.

Doubt I was doing more than 40mph, which probably demonstrates how little grip there is in heavy rain.

What fun - R.P.
You need a decent RWD with the software turned off...
 What fun - Iffy
...You need a decent RWD with the software turned off...

Steady, or you might be selling a bent one in a month or two.

What fun - R.P.
That has occured to me ! The X1 is so stable in every scenario....that is something I may very well miss.....I'll be careful - honest !
s'ok, he'll still have his girly X1 to fall back on...

:-))

Edit - Beat me to it....
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 12 May 12 at 18:16
 What fun - R.P.
I'm reluctant to, but I may have to sell it at some point !
Reckon you could talk BobbyG into it...

:-)
 What fun - Ian (Cape Town)
Track days FTW!
Push it, and determine how much the traction control plays nanny, or gives you a 'get out of jail free' card.
The Opels I've driven of late are superb for the latter. But it gets a tad squeaky-bum when pushing the envelope.
 What fun - IJWS14
>> You need a decent RWD with the software turned off...
>>
Or a Morris Minor on cross plies!
 What fun - R.P.
Learnt my RWD trade on one of those !
 What fun - sherlock47
My 1.5 Morris Minor on radials was even better fun, it all just happened at a slightly higher speed.

(and before anybody thinks of correcting the above post, it had a 1.5 twin SU (Riley) BMC B fitted in it!)

Move forward 25 years and the Volvo 240 Estate had similar handling characteristics, particularly in the wet!
 What fun - Dog
Well my Mitsubishi Lancer estate shod with Nokian WR G2 all weather tyres is no 'fun' whatsoever on wet roads!

:)
 What fun - Shiny
What tyres do you have iffy?
It amazes me anyone loses grip these days with modern cars/tyres.
A far cry from my earliest cars (1980's models) being driven in the early 1990's.
 What fun - Dog
>>What tyres do you have iffy?<<

Its a Ford, s/t - shod on shoddy tyres.

Nuff sed!
 What fun - Iffy
...What tyres do you have iffy?...

Three mid-price ones beginning with a B whose name I forget, and one ditchfinder which was a distress purchase following a puncture a long way from home.

Plenty of tread on all four, so I think losing grip had more to do with torrential rain and a greasy road surface.

Roundabouts are known for it, as any biker will tell you.

I did a report on a newish Jag whose driver had lost it in similar cirumstances, slapping the car sideways on into the armco.

The police and fire service both said there is very little grip on most roundabout exits in the wet, and they are called to similar accidents regularly.

Mostly rear wheel drive cars, I was told, which I suspect is because front wheel drives are more idiot proof.
 What fun - WillDeBeest
Or because rwd attracts more idiots.
 What fun - -
The RWD's i see being extracted after roundabouts and sharp bends tend to be older high performance models with that certain wide wheeled dark windowed bling look about them.

Most of those i've seen in the flesh that meet that description (well still on the road.;) seem to have lots of bling rubbish including the statutory newish superwide wheels with unheard of tyres bought as a cheap package.

Young fellow, extra wide rock hard tyres of unknown origin and concrete springs, no traction control due to cars age or lack of servicing, little learned skill, wet greasy worn road, bootful of throttle at the peak of the corner, its likely to end up in tears.

I think the fashionable in their eyes fast FWD's are just as likely to be bought by idiots, though arguably likely to be utlimately less powerful than the RWD's in question, and probably more forgiving if overdriven.

Without traction control RWD is best learned with less power IMO, i managed to talk my lovely daughter, a serious petrolhead with a two position right foot, out of going that way, unbeknown to me her elder brother was also persuading her against, luckily the Civic 2.0 has been such a good car for her that it'll take something very special to tempt her otherwise..i'm not sorry.
Latest Forum Posts