Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 18   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 97

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 18 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 19 *****

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Jul 12 at 00:35

Spanish GP - VxFan
Firstly, congrats to Williams for their first win since 2004.

Unfortunately their win has been marred by a fire in the pit garage that has injured several mechanics, not only from Williams, but Caterham & Force India.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18051779

The incident is believed to involve a Kers unit, which sparked a fuel fire.

Edit - quite a few pics from The Daily Mail - tinyurl.com/7usjhhw
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 May 12 at 01:07

Spanish GP - Roger.
Their post-race celebrations certainly went off with a bang!

Spanish GP - Zero
High power battery packs have new and not very widely understood safety issues and requirements.

The Chevy Volt (Vauxhall/Opel Ampera) was very nearly blocked from sale by the US NTSB, because after a car impact and roll over test, they would catch fire in a spectacular manner up to three days after the crash. ( it was leaking jell from a damaged battery cell shorting out the electronics)

Chevrloet have had to run classes for fire crews and rescue services across the states to show how the high power electricity stored can be safely cut off or neutralised.

There is a LOT of current available in eclectic cars.,

Spanish GP - smokie
...and there was me thinking it was the candles on Sir Frank's eclectic 70th cake...which probably also had lots of currants.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 14 May 12 at 19:36

Spanish GP - John H
Telegraph report says "An electrical fault with the fuel rig is believed to be the cause of a fire that rapidly engulfed the garage, "

tinyurl.com/83s5x9y

Spanish GP - Bagpuss
>> Chevrloet have had to run classes for fire crews and rescue services across the states
>> to show how the high power electricity stored can be safely cut off or neutralised.

Also true for the Toyota Prius - emergency services need special training in rescuing people from hybrid cars. They need to know where the high voltage emergency cut off is located in order to disable the high voltage system, and that the high voltage system remains charged for around 5 minutes after disabling it.

They also need to know, if they are dealing with a car fire, that Lithium Ion batteries generate their own oxygen when they burn, so such a fire is very difficult to extinguish.

Williams show heavily revised F1 car - Focusless
Branched off the current design
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-18156566

Williams show heavily revised F1 car - VxFan
Going green by the looks of it.

They've got one growing in the grounds of their head quarters too - minus Bruno's helmet.

img440.imageshack.us/img440/4657/williamsf1.jpg

What time is the Canadian GP on? - helicopter
I'm currently in Crete and want to watch the Canadian Grand Prix tomorrow but cannot remember what time it is on TV in UK, its not the normal 1pm , can someone help me out and advise what time it starts tomorrow and then I have to add two hours and hope I can find it on Greek TV...

Thanks in advance ....

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 9 Jun 12 at 18:58

What time is the race? - Robin O'Reliant
7pm (est) according to Sky's live coverage.

What time is the race? - Ateca chris
Program starts at 5.30pm race starts at 7pm BST on sky only.

What time is the race? - henry k
>> Program starts at 5.30pm race starts at 7pm BST on sky only.
>>
Plenty of time to go on the web and find the BBC ( rest of the world ) coverage
or the Sky coverage :-)

What time is the race? - helicopter
Thanks folks... I do not know if Greek TV has the same Sky deal with F1 for live coverage.

7pm UK means the race starts 9pm Greek time which is just the time we would normally be going out to the local taverna...It may mean an early dinner tomorrow .

Last edited by: retpocileh on Sat 9 Jun 12 at 16:45

What time is the race? - CGNorwich
Live on OTE Sport

A useful guide for your future travels

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_broadcasters

Well thanks again for all the info.....

We missed the highlights of qualifying yesterday but SWMBO and I will be watching Alpha TV at 10pm local time ........

Off to the beach soon for a lunch of Greek salad and a relaxing afternoon.... I say relaxing...... but the young ladies on the beach these days don't seem to wear much more than a bit of dental floss...........

What time is the race? - Zero
Its cloudy here. Forecast heavy rain.

Thanks for nothing whirlybird.

What time is the race? - legacylad
Ha. Lovely bright & dry morning here in the upper Ribble valley. Meeting friends later this am for a 3 hour stroll then sit in my local beer garden for rehydration...Goose Eye Brewery Chinook and Kirkby Lonsdale Stanley's ale whilst reading the Sundays. Hope there are no 'screamers'.

What time is the race? - VxFan
>> We missed the highlights of qualifying yesterday

Great recovery by Pastor Maldonado in the Williams right at the end of qualifying 2 when he just kissed the wall and got a tank slapper. Shame it ruined his lap time though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrYhMM6xTeY&noredirect=1

What time is the race? - Focusless
For those without Sky, BBC race 'highlights' (it's a 2 hour programme) start at 10.30 on BBC1 (HD).
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 10 Jun 12 at 21:28

What time is the race? - DeeW
And Hamilton won...

Yep - saw it all live on the big screen in the taverna whilst having dinner of Greek roast lamb and after a using bit of charm on the owners wife to switch over ,much to the annoyance of our waiter who wanted to watch the football.....

Well done Lewis .....

SWMBO and I cheered loudly whilst the Germans stayed curiously silent.....
Last edited by: retpocileh on Mon 11 Jun 12 at 08:19

What time is the race? - VxFan
Lewis, the blue eyed boy once again. There's not many people who'd get away with spraying Ron Dennis with champagne.

What time is the race? - Mike Hannon
>>Lewis, the blue eyed boy once again<<

Ahem...

What time is the race? - Iffy
...There's not many people who'd get away with spraying Ron Dennis with champagne...

In a later interview on Sky F1, Dennis was asked about a new contract for Hamilton.

He said times were much harder than when the last one was signed, and he also remarked how well-paid Hamilton is.

Clear indication the next contract will not be as remunerative for Hamilton.

What time is the race? - Westpig
>> He said times were much harder than when the last one was signed, and he
>> also remarked how well-paid Hamilton is.
>>
>> Clear indication the next contract will not be as remunerative for Hamilton.
>>
....and Button was much cheaper.

I wondered what the stumbling block was. Can't have helped Hamilton's side that Button scored more points than him last year.

Interesting points made by Ron Dennis and Jacques Villeneuve during the race...about tyres.

Explains why Button's doing so badly.

Those that can and often run them ragged can get them up to the correct operating temp...and those that habitually don't, can't.

What time is the race? - Armel Coussine
That's very interesting Westpig, and persuasive.

However I still find the constant manipulative tinkering with the tyres very annoying. You can't manufacture genuine sporting suspense and excitement. The attempt to do so makes for a dumbed-down mere spectacle for the gum-chewing multitudes. F1 is over-regulated in my opinion.
 What time is the race? - Mike Hannon
+1

>> Those that can and often run them ragged can get them up to the correct
>> operating temp...and those that habitually don't, can't.
>>

..all controlled by Pirelli

www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100318

What time is the race? - IJWS14
>> >> Those that can and often run them ragged can get them up to the
>> correct
>> >> operating temp...and those that habitually don't, can't.
>> >>
>>
>> ..all controlled by Pirelli
>>

Might have been that simple in Canada but not overall or Hamilton would have won before now and Button would not have won at all.

With 4 compounds it actually depends on which compounds they use at a track, how hot it is, what the track surface is and probably several other thingswe don't know about.

None of the teams have worked it all out yet so we get different people winning at different tracks - when a team does work it out they will start winning everything.

Le Mans 24 hours ive feed - Focusless
www.dailymotion.com/hub/x8p7_24-hours-of-le-Mans

EDIT: or on official site: live.lemans-tv.com/
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 16 Jun 12 at 15:43

Le Mans 24 hours ive feed - DeeW
Radio Le Mans has had good coverage otherwise.... 91.2 fm....although I have not been able to get the signal, their website is doing a text commentary.

Le Mans 24 hours ive feed - PhilW
Davidson crash - luckily not too badly injured it seems
uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/treluyer-puts-audi-24-hours-174049055.html

Le Mans 24 hours ive feed - smokie
Broken back apparently...

Le Mans 24 hours ive feed - henry k
>> Broken back apparently...
>>
BBC headline - "Anthony Davidson breaks back after Le Mans 24 Hour accident"

Then says - The former F1 driver suffered breaks to his T11 and T12 vertebrae - injuries which are expected to heal in "approximately three months".

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/18474792

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzw5i14ewXY
1M views already.

Le Mans 24 hours ive feed - henry k
Nissan Deltawing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJAiZVuC3YI&feature=related

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi_AsxRuyus&feature=related

Some Juke info & some Deltawing info
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZScG6e--K6U&feature=relmfu

If you want a good view there
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKsJYLfnhCU&feature=relmfu

Le Mans 24 hours ive feed - Focusless
And it was won by... a Prius!

Well ok not technically speaking a Prius, but it was a hybrid:
www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/le-mans-2012-audi-dominate-888324

Won last year as well apparently - didn't even know they'd been introduced.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 18 Jun 12 at 11:28

Valencia - Armel Coussine
What a fabulous drive by Alonso who clearly didn't expect to win until late in the race. On the slowing-down lap what sounded like hysterical giggling could be heard on his radio as he cried like a baby, something he was still doing on the podium. The wonderfully deadpan Raikkonnen and genial old pro Schumacher were worthy inheritors of the other two podium slots after the mechanical attrition to some cars, notably Vettel's, and damage to others.

Lewis Hamilton drove a very mature and patient race again, overcoming another attack of the McLaren wheelchange gremlins, and for a long time looked like a contender, but seemed to have settled for second when punted off by the still-inexperienced, but quick, pushy and self-righteous Maldonado. The two quick Frenchmen were out of luck and so was Kobayashi. Very eventful race, most enjoyable.

Valencia - Robin O'Reliant
Fantastic race, but what's happened to poor old JB? He's having a torrid time.

Valencia - Focusless
Didn't intend to watch it, having other things to do, but kept getting drawn in.

Great to see M Schumacher back on the podium, having made up 9 places (Alonso made 10).

Valencia - bathtub tom
Remind me please, what happened in a previous race when a competitor stopped on track without completing his wind-down lap?

Valencia - John H
>> Remind me please, what happened in a previous race when a competitor stopped on track
>> without completing his wind-down lap?
>>

Nothing.

London GP? - Iffy
Bernie's been talking about a London GP - again:

www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2012/06/could_a_london_grand_prix_ever.html

London GP? - Zero
pipe dream. Apart from the huge cost to "F1-ise" the streets, don't they know that london is a low emissions zone, and who will pay the congestion charge?

London GP? - Kevin
>and who will pay the congestion charge?

Hybrids get a discount don't they?

London GP? - Zero
Good point, hadn't considered KERS.

Who's Going to Silverstone? - Bromptonaut
Any of this happy band going to next weekend's event?

Weather permitting we'll be cycling to overlooking ground to watch the Red Arrows.

Who's Going to Silverstone? - Zero
Not this year.

Who's Going to Silverstone? - Zero
going to be a wet muddy one, car parks flooded this morning apparently.

Who's Going to Silverstone? - rtj70
Should make an interesting race if it's muddy ;-)

If we get the rain expected they will need a roof on their cars!

Who's Going to Silverstone? - VxFan
>> car parks flooded this morning apparently.

Just the excuse Bernie needs to try removing silverstone from the race calendar again.

Who's Going to Silverstone? - Focusless
Nice interview with Mansell (60 next year!) about his 'Silverstone love affair':
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18697404

F1 Test Driver Injured - Westpig
Not good.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-18689440
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-18685789

Wonder how it suddenly accelerated? User error, fault?
Last edited by: Webmaster on Tue 3 Jul 12 at 15:07

F1 Test Driver Injured - Zero
There is no direct connection between throttle pedal and engine, its all fly by wire computer.

One has to wonder why she didn't brake or kick the rear end out to move the impact point. You don't aim for a truck tailboard with your head normally.

F1 Test Driver Injured - John H
>> One has to wonder why she didn't brake
>>

Sky news:
www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7861387/De-Villota-injured-in-testing

Helen Brown, a Sky Sports F1 assistant producer, was one of those to witness the accident.

"We were there with a small team from Sky Sports F1 to film Maria's first run out in the Marussia. She'd been appointed a test driver for the team earlier in the season and she was out today doing some straight line speed testing at Duxford - which is the Imperial War Museum Complex - where she was going to be testing new parts for the car for the British Grand Prix this weekend," Brown told Sky Sports News.

"She left the temporary garage, she went out with one run down the straight, she turned around and came back. Everything looked fine on approach; as she approached the temporary garage where the team were based, her wheels locked and she collided into the back of one of the trucks which the team had brought along.

"We were all asked to leave about 20 minutes after the accident had happened - she was still in the car. Because it was a testing event, there was an ambulance already on site, a fire brigade on site as well. They were surrounding the car as I was leaving and she was receiving medical treatment.

"Obviously the team looked quite upset. Everyone was shaken by the incident and, as I said, everyone was asked to leave about 20 minutes later."

F1 Test Driver Injured - Focusless
Report in this morning's Metro suggested that the anti-stall might have kicked in as she was slowing down, causing her to accelerate into the trailer, as mentioned in some reports.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 09:10

Warning - some people may find the pictures distressing:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2168068

Pictured: The moment a female Formula One racing driver inexplicably accelerated into the back of team lorry and was left seriously injured

F1 Test Driver Injured - rtj70
Now I see why the excellent crash structure of an F1 car didn't help and why the helmet took the force. I hope she makes a full recovery.

If you look at one of the pictures on that page, the driver in that car (her?) does appear to be higher then most of the F1 pics I see.

>> If you look at one of the pictures on that page, the driver in that
>> car (her?) does appear to be higher then most of the F1 pics I see.
>>
>>

She effectively submarined under the loading ramp.

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/03/article-2168068-13E80D23000005DC-528_638x429.jpg

A few inches pushed further forward and her head would likely have been decapitated.

the video at the bottom of that story includes some audio recorded at the time of impact.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyLOmQ434Hs

Last edited by: John H on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 12:23

>> >> If you look at one of the pictures on that page, the driver in
>> that
>> >> car (her?) does appear to be higher then most of the F1 pics I
>> see.
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>> She effectively submarined under the loading ramp.

Yeah but not a 90 degrees head on wedge, it is sideways, higher cockpit sides might have helped prevent depth of impact.

She has apparently lost an eye.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-18711127

F1 Test Driver Injured - Armel Coussine
>> apparently lost an eye.

... and a planned career along with it, poor girl. I hope that's all she's lost.

I often complain that modern F1 cars aren't really cars at all but more like inverted fighter aircraft. But the frightening thing about them is the combination of extreme violence and extreme technical complexity involving a good deal of 'fly-by-wire' actuation of some controls.

All the best that money can buy of course, but with the pace of change and innovation it's guaranteed that something often goes a bit wrong. Even top drivers of top cars sometimes get crossed up with this stuff. Anyone really out of luck, like this lady, can have their life ruined or even terminated in the blink of an eye.

F1 Test Driver Injured - zookeeper
losing an eye .... not nice, even worse when your a very pretty woman....hope she gets through it ok

>> F1 cars aren't really cars at all but more like
>> inverted fighter aircraft. But the frightening thing about them is the combination of extreme violence
>> and extreme technical complexity involving a good deal of 'fly-by-wire' actuation of some controls.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18700794

No guarantees with them, either.

F1 Test Driver Injured - Armel Coussine
Yes Westpig, a case in point - looks like one anyway.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 4 Jul 12 at 19:45

Marussia accident. - devonite
It now appears that De Villota`s accident whilst testing was sadly nothing more than just that!

sportinglife.aol.co.uk/formula-1/news/article/24731/7904156/marussia-complete-crash-probe
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 14:15

20,000 fans NOT wanted on Sat. - henry k
British GP: 20,000 fans asked to avoid Silverstone

He said ticketholders who missed sessions on Friday and Saturday would be refunded.
"It's almost made me cry," he added.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18747889

20,000 fans NOT wanted on Sat. - zookeeper
yes the Riff raff will have to go away, only the hospitality and those with helicoptors can join the club... i like how the three stooges on the bbc were reading out twitter messages from abu dabi...and other warm climes who were taunting us with the weather.......

British GP. - Armel Coussine
An odd grid. A wet race should be interesting. Of course it may puss doon and the thing will have to be curtailed.

If it isn't though it may go on a bit longer than usual and I will have to leave for London well before the end. Always annoying that.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 7 Jul 12 at 20:53

British GP. - VxFan
I thought the Grand Prix was at Silverstone, but apparently it's being held in dahrain!

Button 18th? Seems to have lost his talent in changing conditions.
Alonso 1st, in what was considered to be a dog of a car at the start of the season.
Reliability issues aside, I wonder if Shuey will get another podium?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 7 Jul 12 at 21:02

British GP. - Dave_
I was working this afternoon (ironically going the long way round to avoid the A43 closure at Silverstone) - most annoyed when 5 Live dropped the delayed F1 qualifying in favour of the tennis at 2pm sharp.

I'll be in the car tomorrow too, I suppose they'll do it again midway through the race when the mens' final tees off. If the GP gets held up by rain I might make it home in time to watch the finish :)

EDIT: Just looked, it's not on MW at all, only 5live sports extra. No live British GP for me then :(
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sat 7 Jul 12 at 22:38

British GP. - rtj70
Record it and watch later, fast forwarding boring bits. Also record the programme after it as it might overrun.

British GP. - Dave_
I don't have anything to record it on. I can always watch it on iplayer later, the annoying thing is not being able to follow it in real-time.

British GP. - VxFan
>> Also record the programme after it as it might overrun.

It's being shown on BBC2. Nothing else of importance on their to stop the GP being shown in full - even if it overruns. However that does not apply to BBC2 HD as they told everyone to turn over to BBC2 at some point on Saturday. Makes me glad sometimes that I don't yet have HD.

The leadup to the GP is on BBC1 though. Those with series links on your PVR, make sure it's set itself up for the correct channels.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 8 Jul 12 at 00:20

I suppose I'll be able to see a repeat on the Sky F1 channel, ghastly though it is even compared to the beeb...

British GP. - VxFan
Knowing Sky, there will be several repeats.

>> several repeats.

Literally thousands.

British GP. - rtj70
If the EPG does not update to know the program is running longer ... record the next program!

If you have a Sky+ HD box then of course you also have BBC HD channels. You don't need to pay for those. It's only the Sky channels in HD you have to pay for. We still watch most channels in SD because of the EPG and yes we could watch a lot in HD.

I'll be recording on Sky too anyway too. Tend to watch on the Mac in edited highlight style so this weekend it's good it's on the BBC too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 8 Jul 12 at 00:36

British GP. - Pat
I bet MotoGP will be moved from it's regular spot as well.

Must leave a note for Ian to check as I'm working today and he will set it to record at the usual time for us to watch this evening.

Nothing more annoying than sitting down to watch a bike race to find you have tennis, or some boring cars going through the motions;)

Pat
 British GP. - corax
It's chucking it down this morning in Essex. Is this rain affecting Silverstone? It's going to be a logistical nightmare to move cars out of the fields when the race has finished. If they get churned up.

British GP. - Stuu
Its dry here atm though theres been some drizzle.

British GP. - Zero
Forecast for the race is Sunny Intervals, Cloud, Light Showers. If you believe anything the met office tell you.

British GP. - zookeeper
do we really need the three stooges wing walking , is it supposed to be entertaining? the whole first hour is a waste of time and resources ,
if they did away with them then BBC could probably show more races instead?

British GP. - Focusless
Hope it rains - I've got £1 on Schuey at 18/1 :)
(I'm still using up the £10 I deposited into Paddypower to get £20 back from Quidco before the Euros, which became £30 thanks to a £20 free bet that got refunded)

Also got another £1 on Senna at 225/1 - you never know...
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 8 Jul 12 at 12:23

British GP. - Dutchie
You live in hope Focus.>:)

British GP. - Focusless
Well after losing about 15 (£1) bets in a row on the football, I actully got lucky on the tennis - I had bets on all the semi-finalists except Dvokovic(?) to win the final, and one on Federer to beat Dvokovic in the semi which has already come in. I'm on a roll :)
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 8 Jul 12 at 12:41

British GP. - Zero
OMG Kobayashi has just scattered his pit crew around the pit lane like skittles,

British GP. - VxFan
Webber wins - not bad for a number 2 driver.

How much longer is it going to be before Pastor Maldonado seriously injures someone? How much is he paying the stewards to turn a blind eye?

British GP. - VxFan
Apologies - I removed some stuff from an unusual spammer. Nothing to do with F1 discussion was removed in the posts that followed.

Vx.

Another East London GP ? - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18869213

The proposal would reportedly allow another British round of the world championship in and around the stadium in East London.

.... whereby Formula 1 would race around the stadium, inside it, outside it.

Sky Sports free this weekend - smokie
As I posted on the TV thread, Sky and Virgin subscribers will be getting free Sky Sports from 08:00 Friday to 08:00 Monday (or was it 06:00 - whatever...).

So a chance to see the Friday quallies in Germany, and the whole race - as this weekend was a highlights-only one for the Beeb.

Sky Sports free this weekend - Duncan
>> Sky and Virgin subscribers will be getting free Sky Sports from 08:00 Friday to 08:00 Monday
>>

Free! My word! That's good!

Which definition of the word 'free' are you using?

When my party get into power people misusing the word 'free' will be taken outside and shot. Smokie will be one of the first, I think.

If it ain't free, it ain't free.
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 19 Jul 12 at 14:42

Sky Sports free this weekend - VxFan
>> So a chance to see the Friday quallies in Germany, and the whole race -

Just wanted to make sure it included the F1 channel - it does.

www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/7178416/Free-weekend

Sky Sports free this weekend - Alastairw
Excellent. A kid free weekend, and now I can watch the F1. Will be good to see what all the fuss is about.

Sky Sports free this weekend - VxFan
>> Will be good to see what all the fuss is about.

To be honest I'm glad I haven't upgraded to HD, or subscribed to the F1 sports channel.

Long winded, and far too much pre and post race analysis - just like the BBC coverage was in previous years.

I still think the BBC make a far better job of it, despite not all the races being shown are live. Also, Lee McKenzie is far more pleasing to the eye than Damon Hill and Johnny Herbert. Same can't be said about Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard - but at least there is far more banter between them than the cronies on Sky F1.

Sky Sports free this weekend - sherlock47
I tried it on Friday - did not work, showed as encrypted . Tried it with both Humax and Sky boxes.

According to the small print in the advert it will only be free to people with a Sky Subscription (and Card for lesser service). Anybody else know better?

Latest Forum Posts