Motoring Discussion > Car stolen over weekend Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 5

Car stolen over weekend - Ted

Not mine, thank heavens.
You may recall, in my football thread, that I'd been sent out by the firm to clean a load of hay out of the front of one of our new Yarises (?). Yesterday, the control room rang me and asked me to meet the firm's fleet engineer in the city at one of our Fiestas. I was there at 0830 and he wanted the spare key off me to get in the car. We found a load of hay in that one as well...same person. The car had done just under 700 miles in a couple of days.

The same person had also booked out the Yaris and that hadn't been returned, along with the Fiesta keys. As a precaution, we started the Fiesta by hot wiring it ( my keys are purely for entry if the swipecard system fails ) and I took it to Leeds and brought another car back in it's place.

The Yaris has turned up parked in someone's drive in London. We tracked it and asked the Met to go round, which they did. The guy at the house said it was a relative who had parked it, and didn't have the key. Strangely, he found the keys just as our lift and tow truck turned up...that saves a bit of hassle. No hay in this one and all seems ok.

It's being driven back tomorrow, I don't know what action, if any, will ensue, but between them, the cars will have racked up getting on for £200 of fuel, which is bought using a fuel card in the car. There may be other fill-ups come to light later.

All in all, a costly exercise...Loss of revenue and fuel, recovery, my costs, etc.

A big grrrrr !

Ted
 Car stolen over weekend - Armel Coussine
Ted, that sounds appalling. Is there no way of recovering costs from this badly behaved person, and banning him or her forthwith?

Obviously you can't deliver a clip over the ear now you're an old civilian. But don't you know someone who can?

I worried about yr Javelin for a moment when I saw the thread title.

He'll be off the books now, I've no doubt, Lud. As for squeezing any bunce out of him....I think we've got Buckley's chance.

Ted
 Car stolen over weekend - -
Can't abide folk like that.

Prepare a final invoice for him and send it, when it doesn't get paid let the nastiest firm of debt collectors out there have it.
Your mob might never see a penny but worth the minor cost to give the blighter a headache.

Car stolen over weekend - Armel Coussine
I guess car hire people get that sort of crap too. Amazing how genial they manage to be when for all they know you might be planning to trash a brand-new 8 grand car, even if they do get it at a favourable rate.

Perhaps they can tell from one's age and general demeanour that one's flat-out-all-the-way-down-the-M1-in-a-vain-attempt-to-melt-the-engine days are over. Were one 21 and jumpy, with iffy papers, they might take a different line, hmmm?

Might have been an attempt at cloning, perhaps. Find another red 61 plate Yaris the other side of the city and note the reg no. Bingo...no more parking fines or congestion charge !

Seemples.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts