Motoring Discussion > Cars built in Britain (England actually) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 18

Cars built in Britain (England actually) - Dog
Quite a few but, no Fords or Pugs??

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/9272524/Cars-built-in-Britain.html
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - L'escargot
Is no. 12 still in production?
:-)
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - Auristocrat
Nissan Micra built in India since the K13 came out. Sunderland build the Juke instead, and will also make the replacement for the Note, in addition to the new C-segment car.
Toyota build the Auris 5 door and Hybrid in the UK. The Auris 3 door is built in Turkey. However Burnaston will become the European centre for C-segment hatchback production when the Auris replacement comes out (next year), with saloon production being concentrated in Turkey.
Doesn't Peugeot build cars in England anymore then?
Peugeot closed their Coventry plant in 2006 - where they did make the 206.
Ford ceased UK car production in 2002.
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - -
Take a drive down the A45 past Ryton Dog, all gone, levelled, far as i know thats it now, all finished.

There is talk of combining the two major offices of the importers too, Coventry and Slough, Pug and Citroen respectively.
Thanks Auris & gb - never liked Pugs anyway :)
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - Runfer D'Hills
I had a Peugeot 405 for a few months. Surprisingly good car. Handled well for a cooking saloon. Dunno where that was built.
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - jc2
Ford Transits are still built in UK-Southhampton.Otherwise only engines-petrol & diesel-gearboxes,axles and electrical items.
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - swiss tony
>> I had a Peugeot 405 for a few months. Surprisingly good car. Handled well for
>> a cooking saloon. Dunno where that was built.
>>
Could have been built in Coventry - many 405's were.
I used to 'tune' all the old Peugeot models from the 104 right through to the 604 with the V6 engine (a pig to work on)

They were quite good cars really I suppose - far better than the offerings from Austin/Morris at that time.

The only Pug I owned was a turbo diesel 306 which went quite well when I floored the loud pedal, but it was more of a woman's car TBH.
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - mikeyb
I had a 405 SRi - nice car, and I think it was the same engine as the 205 1.9 gti, but odd spec. windy windows, but electric sunroof.
>> I had a 405 SRi - nice car, and I think it was the same engine as the 205 1.9 gti, but odd spec. windy windows, but electric sunroof.
>>

A similar, not identical engine.
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - mikeyb
>> >> I had a 405 SRi - nice car, and I think it was the
>> same engine as the 205 1.9 gti, but odd spec. windy windows, but electric sunroof.
>> >>
>>
>> A similar, not identical engine.
>>

Ahhh. A friend had a 205 1.9 gti at the same time which was obviously quicker, but I just assumed that the lardiness of the 405 accounted for the difference in performance.

What was the difference?
>> Ahhh. A friend had a 205 1.9 gti at the same time which was obviously quicker, but I just assumed that the lardiness of the 405 accounted for the difference in performance.
>>
>> What was the difference?
>>

Blimey... I knew someone would ask....
Racking my brains here, but IIRC the injection system, and probably the camshaft.

Wiki shows a list of which version was fitted to what... but not the differences...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_XU
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - L'escargot
I had a 2 litre Peugeot 306 XSi. Lovely (8-valve) engine.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 20 May 12 at 07:25
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - RattleandSmoke
According to wiki one in four Ford engines in the world are built in the UK.

But no Ford cars
 Cars built in Britain (England actually) - PeterS
Perhaps more surprisingly, the BMW Hams Hall engine plant in the UK makes around a quarter of BMWs engines
Latest Forum Posts