Motoring Discussion > Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 24

Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - henry k
It has been suggested that treating just the rear window of a saloon is worth doing to aid visibility. ( so few saloons have a rear wiper)

It seems a good idea.

I have read that Rain X is really difficult to remove so I want to be sure of the benefits before I try it.
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Mike H
I used it a few years ago, and was quite happy with it, it did what it said on the tin. I treated all the windows including the windscreen, which after a while smeared. But I'd certainly use it again on all the other windows. If you go ahead, you should consider using it on the side windows as well, it's a real benefit ifyou can keep those clear.
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Old Navy
>> I'd certainly use it again on all the other windows.
>> If you go ahead, you should consider using it on the side windows as well,
>> it's a real benefit if you can keep those clear.
>>

It is also good for external mirrors.
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Dog
>>so few saloons have a rear wiper<<

How on earth did we manage back in the mists of time when no vehicle had a rear w/w?
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Londoner
>> How on earth did we manage back in the mists of time when no vehicle
>> had a rear w/w?
>>
Well, for a start, back in those days cars came with something called "rear visibility". The view out of the rear of many, many modern cars is so poor that a drop of rain impacts the view out back far more than a typical car of 20-25 years ago.

It's a similar argument to the discussion we've had on the forum about how much better cars used to be able to cope with a bit of snow, or how we managed happily without parking sensors.
>>Well, for a start, back in those days cars came with something called "rear visibility"<<

I always thought that the rear window in a saloon car was kept clean by the shear aerodymamics of the design where as with a gentleman's transport (an estate) its very design will create a swirling effect behind said vehicle.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 22 May 12 at 13:38
Perhaps henry could adorn his 'Mondeo' with one of these: www.recumbents.com/car_aerodynamics/diffuser.jpg
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - R.P.
I like this site. I was pondering that yesterday when driving home from work - the back window of my first saloon in years is dirty - and I don't know how many times I've gone for the non-existent wash wipe.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 22 May 12 at 13:11
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - VxFan
Save yourself some money and just use the same stuff you wash/polish the bodywork with.
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Runfer D'Hills
Or you could just buy the more useful and wiper equipped estate...
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - WillDeBeest
I always thought that the rear window in a saloon car was kept clean by the shear aerodymamics of the design.

Not when it's going backwards, it ain't. Mine is fine out of town, but trundling round a car park in a downpour, followed by reversing into the space you could see was there just before you stopped, but might as well now be full of tropical fish, is all a bit too much of an adventure.

If you buy a new Volvo - with or without a rear wiper - you can specify water-repellent glass for the side windows. I suppose Rain-X, or even waxy shampoo, is a do-it-yourself approximation.
So Rain-X could well be the answer then (worth a try) I tried it on the windscreen of my Mitsi van in the 80's and it worked a treat but, how it would work on the rear screen remains 'to be seen'.
>> Not when it's going backwards, it ain't. Mine is fine out of town, but trundling
>> round a car park in a downpour, followed by reversing into the space you could
>> see was there just before you stopped, but might as well now be full of
>> tropical fish, is all a bit too much of an adventure.
>>

You could learn to use your mirrors for reversing, or are you too close to your female lack of spacial awareness side?

:-)

(Sorry Pat).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 22 May 12 at 15:08
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Pat
Reversing on mirrors is the proper way to reverse....all rear view mirrors should be thrown away;)

Pat
>>Reversing on mirrors is the proper way to reverse....all rear view mirrors should be thrown away<<

Affirmative but - Women (in general) can not reverse with or without mirrors!
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Stuartli
>> Save yourself some money and just use the same stuff you wash/polish the bodywork with.>>

But NOT on the windscreen....:-(( I used to have a Ford Anglia 105E with the sloping rear windscreen. Never got dirty...:-))
>> I used to have a Ford Anglia 105E with the
>> sloping rear windscreen. Never got dirty...:-))
>>

I passed my UK car driving test in a 105E. Most cars have a sloping rear screen, but not like a 105E. :-)
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - corax
>> I have read that Rain X is really difficult to remove so I want to
>> be sure of the benefits before I try it.

I don't think it's difficult to remove. It fades away by itself and doesn't last long because it only bonds physically to the glass. I applied Gtechniq G1 on my windscreen last July and it's still working. It would get you home even if your wipers failed. I've noticed that there's less ice build up in winter, and what there is melts extremely quickly.

www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/gtechniq/clearvision-screen-kit.aspx

It does take patience to apply though.
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Bromptonaut
The BX 'saloon' (actually a hatchback) did have a wiper but only ever used in town. At speed airflow kept it clear.

The BX estate by contrast was a right mucky pup - constant rear wipe needed on a wet motorway. Mostly recycling it's own spray though, the aerodynamics probably still kept the raindrops off.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 22 May 12 at 16:33
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Skip
>>Reversing on mirrors is the proper way to reverse....all rear view mirrors should be thrown away<<

"Affirmative but - Women (in general) can not reverse with or without mirrors!"

They are not great when going forwards either !!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Pat
Challenge?

One round in a car and round two in an artic!

Pat
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Skip
And towing a caravan ? :-)
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Londoner
"Bad driving habits are more likely to lead to men being involved in accidents than women, a study suggests.

Male drivers are nearly twice as likely to be careless and reckless on the road, with more instances of speeding and drink-driving recorded than their female counterparts, according to the Institute of Advanced Motorist's (IAM) latest research.

They are also more likely to end up in a crash due to being in a hurry, poor behaviour or being inexperienced on the road, which is reflected in their car insurance premiums which are usually higher than those for women. "

tinyurl.com/cxyw48t
>>Male drivers are nearly twice as likely to be careless and reckless on the road, with more instances of speeding and drink-driving recorded than their female counterparts<<

I should think age comes into the equation somewhere though - when I was younger I actually used to drive quite aggressively, now I mimse.

:)
 Rain X for just the rear window of a saloon ? - Dave_
Not sure I'd go for Rain-X on the side windows. ISTR doing that a long while ago and finding the tiny beads of water obscured vision when they caught the sun. I'd imagine the same effect would occur on a saloon's rear window - never had one (not a 3-box one anyway, the Mini and Allegro don't count).

I swear by using the stuff on the front windscreen, though. In conjunction with good wiper blades it makes a huge difference, especially in a downpour on the motorway.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 22 May 12 at 21:25
Latest Forum Posts