Motoring Discussion > Young drivers in NZ Legal Questions
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 6

Young drivers in NZ - Mapmaker
www.stuff.co.nz/national/6982821/Girl-11-takes-siblings-for-a-joyride

This has probably been posted before... if so, sorry.
 Young drivers in NZ - Dog
Talking to my neighbour yesterday - farming stock, done some work in her life she has.

Anyway - she was telling me that she was driving a Fordson tractor at the age of 8 ... EIGHT!

Reading a few of the news items that accompany the story of the 11 year old driver, I also read the report about the granny that filched $100,000 and the fact she was sentenced to 10 months 'home detention'.

How does that work then I wonder?
 Young drivers in NZ - R.P.
Handcuffed to his Playstation..
 Young drivers in NZ - Avant
Of course it was irresponsible etc. etc. but ...... dare I confess a sneaking admiration for that girl? Particularly as she appears to have brought her siblings back safely. There's an element of spirited oomph there which if properly guided will serve her well in life.
 Young drivers in NZ - Auntie Lockbrakes
Yes, Avant, particularly since the location of the event was suburban Auckland, with plenty of traffic no doubt, and not out in the bush somewhere!

FYI the legal driving age in NZ used to be 15..! Only recently raised to 16. And plenty of old cars around for them to get their hands on...
 Young drivers in NZ - WillDeBeest
I take it you mean get their hands on legitimately, Nick. But my 11yo could drive my car if the fancy took him, because he knows where I keep the key. He won't, but he could. How many of us routinely lock away keys rather than simply keeping them out of sight?
 Young drivers in NZ - Bromptonaut
>> FYI the legal driving age in NZ used to be 15..! Only recently raised to
>> 16. And plenty of old cars around for them to get their hands on...

Remember a Kiwi I worked with telling me that she could drive from 15 but only to and from school.
Latest Forum Posts