Motoring Discussion > Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 12

Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - Cliff Pope
I'm putting a car back on the road, having been on SORN for 6 months.
I have insurance starting on 1 June, MOT and V5, but insurance is not yet on the database so I went to the PO.

A few weeks ago I tried to get the licence disc, but was told I couldn't get it starting 1 June (too far in advance) or 1 May (insurance not valid until 1 June). I was told the earliest I could get it was 2 days in advance, ie today. Fair enough.

I went in today and was asked when I wanted it to start from. I said I thought it had to run in complete months. No, she said, it can start any day you like. Did I want it to start today, or wait until Saturday (1 June)? She was looking at the insurance certificate, so saw it wasn't valid until Saturday, yet was asking me if I wanted to use the car today.
By coincidence, this was the same cashier as I had seen 2 weeks ago.

This doesn't sound right, especially as it contradicts what the same person had previously said. Does the fact that it is Historic Vehicle class make any difference? Can that run in part months? Or is this all complete nonsense?

(Looking forward to taking the new Triumph for a spin on Saturday)
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - rtj70
You can start tax at any time of the month. But you will lose the days that have already passed. so it would not be a good idea to tax it towards the end of the month - unless you really had to.
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - Cliff Pope
Well it's free in this case so it wouldn't have mattered.
But she was offering to licence a car even though it wasn't insured.
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - Bromptonaut
AFAIK the only circ in which VED is paid for part months is when a dealer is supplying a new vehicle.

In the usual renewal form it says insurance must be in place when the VED commences. This is the later of (a) the first day of the month in which the licence commences or (b) the date of issue.

So I think she was wrong to offer to start the disc before 01 June.
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - VxFan
>> But she was offering to licence a car even though it wasn't insured.

Maybe she thought you already had a policy that runs out at midnight on the 31st of May and you brought along the one that starts at 00:01 on the 1st June.
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - bathtub tom
Was she blonde?

;>)
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - Dave_
>> Was she blonde?

>> ;>)

It does sound like an admin error on her part Cliff. Clearly even if a VED disc were issued you couldn't drive it without insurance, although the VED disc would be valid.

On a slight tangent, now that MoT certificates are merely a printout confirming the car's place on a database, how long before hologrammed, tamper-proof VED discs go the same way?
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - Boxsterboy
Yes, fancy (expensive) VED disk must soon be for the chop.
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - Slidingpillar
And given you can get all the information on a car very quickly, is there any need to display anything?

Actually I think there is, but it is a thought.
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - swiss tony
>> Yes, fancy (expensive) VED disk must soon be for the chop.
>>

I have always thought it would be better to display an insurance disc.... although insurance is also shown online these days..
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - Fullchat
Now here's a conundrum with regards to SORN.

Mothers Rover (previously discussed) is soon up for insurance renewal. Given that she no longer holds a licence she will not be insuring the car anymore in which case it will sit on her drive and has to be SORN'd until it is sold. It does have tax on it.
I could drive it on my insurance 'drive motor vehicle not belonging etc.etc' but it would show up as SORN'd.
Now I'm wondering if those mobile DVLA ANPR units are interested in just untaxed vehicles or vehicles shown as uninsured? I think just the former as its black and white. The latter would be in the 'to difficult to do' tray as the DVLA don't enforce No Insurance only the No Insurance/No SORN.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 30 May 12 at 23:39
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - John H
>> I could drive it on my insurance 'drive motor vehicle not belonging etc.etc' but it would show up as SORN'd. >>

The registered keeper would be culpable.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/owningavehicle/untaxedvehicle/dg_069727

"Vehicle insurance law

The new vehicle insurance law means the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it taxed and insured while using it on the road.

You must declare SORN if your vehicle is:

not taxed and off the road
not insured and off the road
taxed and uninsured - you must insure your vehicle or make a refund application with a SORN declaration to DVLA

If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty.

If you have a vehicle that is taxed and not insured which you will be keeping off road you need to return the tax disc. You can do this on a V14 (including nil value discs) and declare SORN at the same time.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696
"The change in the law means, you will only be able to take your vehicle off the road and cancel your insurance by returning your tax disc to DVLA."

Last edited by: John H on Thu 31 May 12 at 00:02
 Licensing a SORNed vehicle - puzzle - Fullchat
Thanks. I must admit I have not really genned up on the legislation.

Now I did compose quite a long thread highlighting a few issues with this then pressed the wrong key and its all gone and now I can't be bottomed.

Bottom line is I think its somewhat draconian to start forcing people to send back tax discs (which can be a sweetner if your selling a car) AND refunds can only be had for full months. Discs have to be back at Swansea before the commencement of the next month.

The legislation is also preventing me conducting a legal activity (subject of some previous debate).

Head really hurts. Night.
Latest Forum Posts