Motoring Discussion > Goodby BMW, Hello Audi (again) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Londoner Replies: 9

Goodby BMW, Hello Audi (again) - Londoner
After a week, and about 400 miles, the BMW 320d Coupe Hire car has gone back and I've picked up my own car after its repairs (which have been done very well, I might add).

So was it a happy reunion? Well....mixed. The BMW Coupe was significantly improved from when I last drove one. The ride was much better on the third-generation Bridgestone runflats, and the engine was both more powerful and economical. Even the turn-indicators seemed improved from the fiddly ones that I remember from my BMW E91 Estate.

Just over a year ago, I rated the A5 Sportback the better car and bought it, but perhaps this was influenced a little bit by the way that the BMW that I owned at the time had failed so spectacularly with its turbo going and taking other components with it. (And - to be fair - a generally disappointing period of ownership)

The A5 has the edge over BMW in terms of practicality, the interior, the looks and all the little "surprise-and-delight" features. The CVT gearbox, however, is a real off-putting drawback, and I don't like the Audi brand or image.

The BMW image is hardly that brilliant either, but it beats the A5 for Performance, handling, running costs, ride (yes - ride!) and fuel economy. It has a proper automatic gearbox which was a joy to use, particularly for parking. The fuel economy on some runs was unbelievable. (I know that this is only from the trip computer but it registered 64 mpg on a 40 mile gentle run to work!)

Reputedly the new three series is even better than the last one, and if they really do produce a 5-door hatchback to go head-to-head with the A5, as the car magazines are suggesting, then Audi will have to offer massive discounts to compete with it.

I did promise the hire company that I would be very, very good, and that I would never ask for anything else ever again if they would swap the BMW for the Audi, but they said a firm "No!". They even stood firm against the tears and the grovelling. Ah! Well! We all have our cross to bear.
 Goodby BMW, Hello Audi (again) - WillDeBeest
Interesting, Londers. I had a bit of the converse experience today. One-day business trip meant two rides in Volvo taxis, one old and one recent S80. Volvo leather is very nice, soft and not slippery, I still think they make the best car seats, bar none; and I like the sound of a five-cylinder engine. But my Mercedes is a better car, especially in terms of ride comfort and cruising noise levels. More space too. Not a fair comparison, perhaps, given the price difference when new, but I'm pleased with what I've chosen and won't be going back, not in the short term anyway.
 Goodby BMW, Hello Audi (again) - Auntie Lockbrakes
Fair play to BMW, Londoner, it sounds like they have won you back!

Interesting to me, the way you describe it, BMW have a clearly superior product to the Audi in many respects.
 Goodby BMW, Hello Audi (again) - Clk Sec
>>Reputedly the new three series is even better than the last one, and if they really do produce a 5-door hatchback<<

Now, that really does sound interesting.
"Exclusive: the BMW 3-Series GT"
www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/bmw-3-series-gt-2012-05-18

"In the end you have a car that'll have a silhouette not so different from an Audi A5 Sportback. "

I've heard from other sources that a four-wheel drive option will be offered as well. (Is there no end to this perfection?)

But if you want one Clk Sec, Gertcha! I'm first in the queue! :-)
 Goodby BMW, Hello Audi (again) - R.P.
And more.

www.bmwblog.com/2012/01/30/exclusive-bmw-3-series-gt-launching-in-march-2013/
 Goodby BMW, Hello Audi (again) - henry k
and more.

www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/3series/touring/2008/allfacts/engine/xdrive.html

Also available in the BMW 320d xDrive for the first time: the xDrive all-wheel drive
 Goodby BMW, Hello Audi (again) - Dog
That site has been hacked, according to Google.
This page on the official BMW website has been up for weeks. It includes xdrive models of the saloon. (Other models will surely follow in due course)

www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/modelrange/0,,1156_1484__bs-Mw%3D%3D%40bb-RjMw,00.html
 Goodby BMW, Hello Audi (again) - Clk Sec
>>But if you want one Clk Sec, Gertcha! I'm first in the queue! :-)

If it comes with FWD, I'll be camping out overnight!
:)
Latest Forum Posts