Motoring Discussion > FIAT 500 - Blue & Me Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 18

FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Badwolf
Good morning all,

We will shortly be changing our Grande Punto for a newer Fiat 500 (cheaper to tax, cheaper to insure, better fuel economy, only a tenner a month more on the drip) and it is equipped with Blue & Me. There is a USB socket down by the handbrake - can I plug my iPod into this to play it through the radio? The first trip we are taking in it is a run down to Southampton so we need some tunes for the disco highway :-)

And if anybody knows exactly what Blue & Me can do, feel free to let me know!

Cheers, as always, in advance.
Last edited by: Badwolf on Thu 31 May 12 at 08:48
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Focusless
'Developed by Fiat & Microsoft' - I'm sure it will be fine :)
www.fiat.co.uk/fiat/blueandme/Default.aspx
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - WillDeBeest
I wonder which definition of 'crash' they agreed to use.
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Dave_
Our Citroen Relay car transporter has Blue&Me (same vehicle as Peugeot and FIAT). I took it to be just a trade name for Bluetooth phone connectivity.

It's a bit temperamental (60 plate, 90,000 miles) and will only pair with my phone about half the time. When it works, it's great.

Hth.
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Iffy
I've not been able to persuade my iPod to output sound via USB to a sound system, although I've only tried with a couple of domestic ones.

FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - WillDeBeest
What kind of sound system, Iffy? Some use USB simply for software updates, not as an input to the on-board DAC. But the Alpine-Pure interface that I've just had fitted to the Mercedes does allow that - I can connect an iPod or a USB stick to the USB socket in the armrest and work it from the little control box.

Pure's home DAB units, for example, generally don't allow this; if you want to connect a 'Pod, you choose one with a dock.
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Iffy
...What kind of sound system, Iffy?...

It was a budget Hitachi midi system I have in the caravan.

The USB socket is front mounted and there's a button for it as an input on the remote control.

I think PR answered the question - Mp3 files only, not Apple ones.
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Ian (Cape Town)
USB and MP3 isn't 'pure' sound, according to the afficianados hifi anoraks, but for me it is brilliant - 400+songs that I like onto one device, hit random, and off we go on a long journey!
You've got noise, vibration and the rest in a car - it isn't a concert hall.

The other day, I had the great pleasure of meeting some gentlemen - one was Graham Gouldman. Honcho of 10cc, Messrs Lodge and Hayward of some Blues band or other, and a chap called Brooker, from Protocol harem, or summat.
Unfortunately, later that evening, Brooker fell over in his hotel room (doing cartwhels across the floor, or chasing vestel virgins, maybe?) and was seriously hurt, so couldn't play at the gig last night.
However, myself and a mate headed down to watch 10cc and that Muse lot.

Wow. Just wow!

Anyways, I digress - I loaded all of my Moody Blues, Procol, Hollies and 10cc stuff onto a stick, and have been playing that for a few days - just to get a 'vibe' going.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 4 Jun 12 at 01:56
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Manatee
>> I wonder which definition of 'crash' they agreed to use.
>>

Whatever it is, it sounds as if a blue screen might be involved - hence the name.
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - PR
You can play directly from an ipod, as long as the file type is recognised. I believe the apple standard ones arent. I converted mine to mp3 in itunes then it was ok. The functionality of the ipod isnt all there on Blue&Me since you are talking Apple / microsoft interface here.

I do find it easier to just copy a load of music into a folder on a memory stick and use that instead of an ipod.
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Badwolf
>> I do find it easier to just copy a load of music into a folder
>> on a memory stick and use that instead of an ipod.

Excellent idea, sir! Cheers for that.

Zero - I found it to drive very much like our Grande Punto which I like. Wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing, would it? :-)
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Zero
Have you tried the fiat 500? I found the ride bad, the seats bleeding awful and the driving position worse.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 31 May 12 at 14:14
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Runfer D'Hills
I sat in a queue of traffic in London the other day next to a fat woman in a 500. It looked for all the world as if the airbags had gone off in there until I realised she was wearing something ecru and voluminous.
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Londoner
"ecru" - blimey, I had to look that one up! I am impressed.
I can think of maybe two other posters who could use a word like that and carry it off.
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - bathtub tom
>>I realised she was wearing something ecru

Sure it wasn't taupe?
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Avant
The mind boggles , Humph - was it the crudeness of what she was wearing or the yucky beigey colour that you noticed? Ecru could be either, or both - and indeed there are many prettier sights than a large lady in a Fiat 500.

I'm glad that I'm a smallish person driving a biggish car rather than the other way round.
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Boxsterboy
I met a surveyor on a site the other day and he turned up in a Fiat 500. He must have been at least 25 stone. I still can't work out how he got in the car and then had room to turn the wheel!
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Leif
>> I met a surveyor on a site the other day and he turned up in
>> a Fiat 500. He must have been at least 25 stone. I still can't work
>> out how he got in the car and then had room to turn the wheel!

I presume it was the one seat variant?
 FIAT 500 - Blue & Me - Armel Coussine
>> must have been at least 25 stone. I still can't work out how he got in the car and then had room to turn the wheel!

A brother-in law inherited from his wife's father, a fairly heavy man, a medium mileage Renault 11. It rode visibly lower on the offside.
Latest Forum Posts