Motoring Discussion > Insurance cost of speeding and using a mobile Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 5

Insurance cost of speeding and using a mobile - Iffy
A survey by the AA finds an average near 10 per cent increase in premiums for three speeding points, and near 20 per cent for using a mobile.

So it seems the theory about one minor speeding conviction having no impact no longer applies.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/282649/no_insurance_for_phone_offenders.html

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 10:16
 Insurance cost of speeding and using a mobile - Meldrew
A survey of eight insurance companies is hardly comprehensive! I am not sure if the reasoning behind raising premiums for having points is soundly based or a "justification" for generating more income? One would have thought that, if points and a fine are meant to be a deterrent, people with them might be less likely to offend again and could be perceived as safer and more conscientious drivers.
 Insurance cost of speeding and using a mobile - Lygonos
>> One would have thought that, if points and a fine are meant to be a deterrent, people with them might be less likely to offend again and could be perceived as safer and more conscientious drivers.

Heh heh.

In the same way that someone who burgles your house now has more stuff and is therefore less likely to burgle again.

Speeding is behavioural, not logical.
 Insurance cost of speeding and using a mobile - Iffy
...A survey of eight insurance companies is hardly comprehensive!...

If you do a gocompare, about 20 or so quotes pop up.

The AA has surveyed eight, so they have done a reasonable job of testing the market.

Insurance cost of speeding and using a mobile - Shiny
Out of that 20 or so, they are the same 7 companies with different brands targeting different social groups.

I agree 3 points for speeding used to make no difference, but makes about 10% difference now.
I don't bother to tell them such things these days. They are utter shyster criminals, just like the politicians.
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 11:17
 Insurance cost of speeding and using a mobile - ....
>> A survey of eight insurance companies is hardly comprehensive!
>>
It might cover the whole market.
There are lots of banner heads, read the small print and you'll find they all point back to just a handful of companies.

Looks like st got in there just ahead of me.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 11:20
Latest Forum Posts