Motoring Discussion > $800,00 Pick Up Truck? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 6

$800,00 Pick Up Truck? - Duncan
Pictures (no knees) of a Ford pick-up Truck

tinyurl.com/6gsmye9

Nice pictures, but a great amount of disbelief and suggestion on various fora that this is a lot of bovine excrement.
 $800,00 Pick Up Truck? - Dog
Yep! - I can adam and eve it, £520k for a rare 65 year old Ford pick up in more-than showroom condition.
 $800,00 Pick Up Truck? - Harleyman
.... some sort of factory cruise control involving a knob and a wire on the dash.....

I believe it's called a hand throttle, bud.

All its history has been restored out of it. I really detest the concours movement with its insistence on "better-than-new" detailing, gives a totally inaccurate idea of what production vehicles were really like.

Oily rag condition every time for me.

$800,00 Pick Up Truck? - Armel Coussine
You are a man of taste Harleyman. But I imagine you would accept a 56 Chevy with suitable suspension and a 63 Cadillac engine, provided the conversion didn't date from later than 65 say?

Just checking.
 $800,00 Pick Up Truck? - Harleyman
>> You are a man of taste Harleyman. But I imagine you would accept a 56
>> Chevy with suitable suspension and a 63 Cadillac engine, provided the conversion didn't date from
>> later than 65 say?
>>
>> Just checking.
>>

I'm by no means a purist. Part of the appeal of my 63 GMC is the fact that it still has its original V6 engine, which confuses the hell out of most spectators who automatically asume that because it's an old beat-up Yankee pickup it has a V8 by default; the other part is the fact that it's as original as I can reasonably keep it whilst still retaining a reasonably practical working toy. It bears the scars of 49 years of use and abuse, and the most skilled restorer in the world cannot recreate that patina; however reality dictates that Welsh weather and the resultant creation of iron oxide will eventually render the beast unusable unless I do something about it.

I like my classics functional; that is, they must still be capable, within reason, of doing what they were built to do. Or at least look as though that is the case. To buff them up beyond the bounds of what was originally intended is to distort history. My buggest bugbear is "trailer queens" be they of two or four wheeled origin. I can live with people bringing seriously old vehicles long distances on the back of a lorry because one has to be realistic about using them on modern roads, but I have no time for those who wheel a pristine 1960's Triumph Bonneville or the like off a trailer, sit it there dead as a doorknocker all day and then expect to walk away with a prize for "Best in show". If I'm judging a show, if it ain't ridden at least round the arena it don't get judged. Simple as that.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Mon 4 Jun 12 at 21:58
 $800,00 Pick Up Truck? - Zero
If you wanted to restore my Sierra to "as new" state you would have to replicate the gluey thumb print on the headlining, and the rust bubbling on the tailgate of my Fiat 131 Mirifiori.
 $800,00 Pick Up Truck? - Armel Coussine
>> my Sierra to "as new" state you would have to replicate the gluey thumb

Heh heh... but what is complained of is 'better than new'. And of course better than new is what you want when cars are being slapped together any old how as they were in the days of human assembly...

One obvious example is the alignment of doors, bonnet and bootlid which is often less than perfect. Correct alignment makes a big difference to the appearance and I have adjusted such panels on several of my cars to good effect.

Detroit production lines used to have cars known as 'foreman's friends', assembled with particular care and given the sweetest and most powerful engines. They were destined for company executives, favoured customers (like fleet buyers I suppose) and quite likely the foremen themselves. Blueprinted and detailed or a Friday evening car: which would you prefer?
Latest Forum Posts