Motoring Discussion > Diesel fumes? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 13

Diesel fumes? - Pat
Yesterday was something of a watershed for me.
For a month now I have had my HGV licence renewal and medical forms sitting on my desk waiting to be dealt with.
I’ve tried so hard to come to terms with the fact that around £100 for a medical on an annual basis to renew my HGV licence certainly wasn’t cost effective when I have only driven a unit (no trailer) once in the last three years.
I found it very hard to walk away from lorry driving and felt at the time that I had to walk away completely and accept that the Arthritis had won.
I always wanted to leave on a high, when I was doing the job properly without any concessions to my condition or gender, and that is what I did...
I’ve consistently refused requests to ‘go along for the ride’ with Ian because my seat is the driving seat and not on the passenger side, watching someone else do what I should be doing.
My old firm, his employer, have dropped broad hints so many times about taking Pat along, so she can share the driving on long runs to maximise the tachograph rules but I have refused sticking solidly to my plan to walk away.

Yesterday I agreed to go to Felling with him ( as a passenger) before making the final decision to ignore my licence renewal and put it in the bin.
We got as far as Wentbridge where we stopped for a coffee and he offered me the keys.
Who could resist, the sun was shining, it was 5am on a summer’s morning, and there was 26 tonnes in the trailer?
I accepted but asked him to sit in silence and let me enjoy one last ‘cabbie’ as we call it.
He knows me too well!
Seat adjusted, coffee at hand and it was just like I’d never been away. Suddenly everything was alright with the world again, the radar still worked and the seat of my pants was back home again.
It was a smaller engine than I was used to, and I didn’t want to do fuel efficient driving so I started kicking it into power mode at every hill and listening to that engine working as it should be worked.
I decided to approach Felling via Newcastle town centre…because I could!
I needed to be sure, you see, because a plan was forming in my mind.
We set off for home and I still didn’t relinquish the keys.
This morning I have filled the form in, booked an appointment on line for my medical for £51 and next time I shall accept that invitation to go along at every opportunity.
I know it must be hard for the majority of you to realise that some of us are just as passionate about driving Lorries as you are about driving cars.
It shouldn’t be so, it is exactly the same feeling of satisfaction and being ‘as one’ with an engine.

Pat
 Diesel fumes? - paulb
Not hard at all. Operating a large and complex piece of machinery in the correct manner is truly a Right Thing, and something in which to take justifiable pride. Excellent :-)
 Diesel fumes? - Cliff Pope
I can understand that. I once met someone who had been an engine driver. He drove real steam engines in the last days of steam, and retired to volunteer on a narrow gauge steam railway. That still wasn't enough though - he customised his Morris Minor to look like the inside of an engine, with a polished hammered aluminium dashboard with lots of gauges.
Most enthusiasts emphasize the chrome bits on the engine and pipework. He polished all the brass and copper pipes, clips etc.

You could get a vintage lorry as a hobby? No need for an HGV license and medical.
 Diesel fumes? - NortonES2
Well done Pat. You made it sound quite an event. Does anyone do trackdays for such vehicles?
 Diesel fumes? - Pat
I did one yesterday:)

Mr PDA sat with his head in his hands muttering 'that's my fuel bonus gone'!

Pat
 Diesel fumes? - Dutchie
Nice story Pat enjoyed it.I miss handling the boat on the river.The other day a post came through to renew my boatman licence.I haven't got the hart to sling it in the bin.
 Diesel fumes? - Cliff Pope
>> Nice story Pat enjoyed it.I miss handling the boat on the river.The other day a
>> post came through to renew my boatman licence.I haven't got the hart to sling it
>> in the bin.
>>

What's a boatman licence? I've had a boat on the river for years, and never had any kind of licence.
 Diesel fumes? - Dutchie
My licence covers a working boat with people on the river Humber Cliff.We used to moor the chemical tankers alongside the Jetty.Without the licence nobody is insured.In rough weather handling ropes and mooring ships is different than going for a jolly on the river.I was tested on handling the mooring boat and had to go to live saving courses.I enjoyed it do,in my twentys I was a pilot launch skipper so I had a good background.
 Diesel fumes? - Dutchie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X89AkBonffw

Sea like a milkpond good memories.
 Diesel fumes? - Armel Coussine
>> I was a pilot launch skipper so I had a good background.

I seem to remember that ships sometimes hang about for hours outside harbours 'waiting for the pilot'.

From literary sources, one gathers that when finally delivered by Dutchie and his crew, the pilot was sometimes dead drunk and steered the liner, warship or bulk carrier onto the nearest shoals.

But I'm sure Dutchie carried a breathalyser on his launch, or if suspicious could bawl a warning to the ship's crew through a megaphone...

:o}
 Diesel fumes? - Dutchie
Happened a few times with trawlers in Hull.Everybody stoned.>:)Live is good with a drink A.C.>:)
 Diesel fumes? - R.P.
In your blood Pat.
 Diesel fumes? - Dog
>>In your blood Pat<<

What, diesel fumes??
 Diesel fumes? - Boxsterboy
Totally understand where you're coming from Pat. Well done for giving it another go, let's just hope a cure for your type of arthritis comes soon. I suffered from it very badly as a child (was an in patient for a while) but excellent NHS care means I made a full recovery and haven't suffered for almost 40 years (touch wood).
Latest Forum Posts