Motoring Discussion > I wonder if she was banned from driving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 10

I wonder if she was banned from driving - Lygonos
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-18347338

4yrs in the clink.

Usual crap in mitigations - "She thought she was pregnant, and thus has a hormone imbalance."

WTF?
 I wonder if she was banned from driving - FocalPoint
I love the word "thus". It means "in consequence of which".

Ms Gilchrist wasn't actually pregnant, it seems (otherwise we would have heard a lot about it). But her thought that she was generated the huge amounts of hormones which made her behave like a murderous lunatic.

What utter crap! That must come close to contempt of court, if she seriously expected it to believe that.

And how about this: Gilchrist had "believed herself to be in danger". SHE was in danger?
 I wonder if she was banned from driving - Manatee
>>Mr Morris, "plainly overcome", told officers he "thought he was a goner".

He's lucky to be alive.

Classic case of a disproportionate response - she was in danger of being nicked for shoplifting, and ends up attempting murder.

That sounds like a light sentence for a protracted attempt to shake him off the bonnet to escape, with no thought for his life. Worse in the commission in my opinion than some of the poor blighters who get jail for death by dangerous.

One of those stories that makes you wonder what use some people are.
 I wonder if she was banned from driving - Dog
E'e walked out in front of her car and he clearly saw her coming towards him, he could have got orf the bonnet at almost any time during the escapade.

4 years in the slammer is an alf decent sentence alright, she'd have got orf with community service in this country.
 I wonder if she was banned from driving - Leif
>> E'e walked out in front of her car and he clearly saw her coming towards
>> him, he could have got orf the bonnet at almost any time during the escapade.
>>
>> 4 years in the slammer is an alf decent sentence alright, she'd have got orf
>> with community service in this country.

What a strange answer. Is it intended as a parody or something, as I miss the reference if any?
 I wonder if she was banned from driving - Iffy
...pleaded guilty to assaulting Mr Morris, failing to give way at junctions, and trying to throw him from her car to the danger of his life on 12 June last year...

Interesting mix of charges.

I've never heard of 'trying to throw him from her car to the danger of his life', so it may not exist in England, although such instances are rare, so the handful of cases may have passed me by.

I think that's where the jail time comes from, she won't have got much for the assault because there was no injury.

One case I recall was a loony driver who collected a motorcyclist on the bonnet for a hundred metres or so.

That was charged as dangerous driving - maximum two years, less a few months for a guilty plea.

So Dog - above - may have a point, despite his deliberately irritating prose.

I wonder if she was banned from driving - Lygonos
www.nas.gov.uk/guides/legalTerms.asp

It's an 'aggravated assault'.

Compared to some others I have seen, such as stabbings, the sentence seems relatively long so I imagine there are other factors at play such as previous record, or simply the sustained indifference to the plight of the bonnet 'stowaway'.

He did end up with bruising on his hands and back so he wasn't uninjured.

Love his comment at the bottom: "She deserves the jail - no-one like that should be free."
 I wonder if she was banned from driving - Dog
>>What a strange answer. Is it intended as a parody or something, as I miss the reference if any?<<

It wasn't an answer, more a statement of the fact that he saw the car coming towards him and could easily have moved a bit lively if he chose, plus the fact that he could quite have easily avoided being driven around on the bonnet, at least in the early stages anyway.

As for the sentence, I thought 4 years was a bit harsh TBH, considering what some perps get away with in this country, i.e England but, I'm not trying to take anything away from the seriousness of her crime - in any way, shape, or form.
 I wonder if she was banned from driving - Fullchat
Notwithstanding all the other factors there does appear to be an element of deliberate pedestrian obstruction.
 I wonder if she was banned from driving - NortonES2
Perhaps the IP was trying to intercept the fugitive. The IP seemed to hold out his arm, perhaps in an attempt to stop the car? The driver drove into the man, although she had time to stop, and carried on regardless in an attempt to get away. Not sure I would class this as pedestrian obstruction. In any event she has no greater right to use the road. Sentence fair.
Last edited by: NIL on Thu 7 Jun 12 at 21:35
 I wonder if she was banned from driving - Fullchat
Doubt whether he had that knowledge. Then I pondered on whether she was driving the wrong way down a One Way street and he was indicating the error of her ways. It would appear not.
Latest Forum Posts