Motoring Discussion > Volvo - Expensive Mistake Miscellaneous
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 24

Volvo - Expensive Mistake - mikeyb
Feeling quite miffed today.

Had an appointment today at the children's hospital to meet the surgeon and discuss the youngest's impending surgery, so was a little preoccupied whilst driving around looking for a parking space. Anyway, young girl in a Corsa comes around the corner going to fast in the middle of a narrow road.

Instinct is to take evasive action to avoid loosing wing mirror which resulted in "contact" with the curb. By the noise I instantly knew that the alloy would be damaged, but when I checked the damage I was surprised to see that the wheel came off better than the tyre with a 3" piece of the sidewall flapping around in the wind.

Nothing anyone can do about it, its just one of those things, but now need to get a new tyre, which grates a little given the car has only just covered 1,000 miles.

Instinct tells me to replace like with like, but the contis on there are nearly 200 quid a corner. I wonder what the effect of getting a cheaper tyre would have on the car, or am I just better having a set of all matching tyres given that they are nearly new?
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - Lygonos
Why take a chance for what might be less than 100 quid to have a ditchfinder on a corner?
And I assume no spare as is the norm these days....
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - MD
Silly question if you don't mind Sir.. Same as the other 'corners' please or you'll owe us all a pint.

In reply to Mikey.
Last edited by: Martin Devon on Tue 12 Jun 12 at 20:21
And make sure the new one goes on the back.

Ahahahahahaaaaa.....
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - R.P.
Wow - By coincidence noticed that the rear nearside on Mrs RP's V50 was down on pressure - a check on the X1's excellent OE dial tyre pressure gauge confirmed it was down to 10psi - further examination revealed a tear in the side wall...no damage to the alloy. We've priced a replacement at around 150 notes for a 205/50x17 93W .....not a good outcome. OE tyres for me every time, especially on the Beemers where they're star marked for approval by BMW - expensive but sensible.
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - Avant
Out of interest, Rob - are you keeping both Beemers as well as the V50?

With the Z3 we have three cars between the two of us - extravagant but fun. I really ought to sell the Z3 particularly as SWMBO has a Mini convertible and has her eyes on a Roadster.but I'm fond of it, especially as it's recently got through its fourth MoT in a row with no repairs needed.
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - Runfer D'Hills
Well, you could put a sticker on the back of it saying "My other car is a Skoda"...

:-)
Managed to find the same tyres for £178 fitted from one of the mobile fit outfits so a little less painful than I was expecting

I already knew what the "right" thing to do was, but sometimes you just need someone to tell you :-)
The X1 is for sale - been to BMW today for a fault which is being resolved (low battery voltage stopping the stop/start system from working properly.) Going back on its plates now - in fairness Halliwell Jones ran up a pair buck shee for me - always found them to be superb to deal with service wise...
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - rtj70
>> been to BMW today for a fault which is being resolved

I know someone with a new (late 2011) X3... had a fault with the adaptive suspension already and was off the road for 6 weeks. Needed a part (ECU) and it had to come from the States. They've just got it back.... and the adaptive suspension is playing up again. That's German engineering for you made poorly by the Americans. :-)
The fault is a little more mundane than that - car's not been in use for a while, the system is reporting a low battery voltage, so the S/S isn't operating as battery voltage is one of the parameters it measures. Not too worried. BMW have identified a radio issue that might be causing it...goes on for a couple of days and gets valeted in the bargain.
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - henry k
>>OE tyres for me every time, especially on the Beemers where they're star marked for approval by BMW - expensive but sensible.
>>
Well Pirellis were the OE tyres for my X-Type. I have been getting up to speed reading all I can about my new steed. There are many postings saying " Fit another brand and few saying they are OK." From what I read another make will get my business. I do not like the reports of Pirellis breaking up / cracking.
Suggestions are that Pirelli offered the best deal at the time but the newer Jaguars have Dunlops.
I await delivery of some new locking wheel nuts and then I will attempt to remove all the wheels in turn and closely inspect my tyres.
I will be buying at least a pair of tyres in the very near future. I hope it is just a pair :(
I also note that some Jaguar 18" rims appear to suffer cracks like BMW. ( mine are 17" ) .
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - ....
I think Ford got a job lot at the time henry. My Volvo had P6000's as OE, great tyre on my little Pug 206 hatch, pile of poo on my Volvo. Tram lining a nightmare.

You've probably already joined the Jahgwaaahr :-) owners club website, you'll get better recommendations there and from the X-Type owners on here.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 12 Jun 12 at 22:01
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - Kevin
>Well Pirellis were the OE tyres for my X-Type.

Jaguar have used Pirellis as OE fit for many years. My old X308 with touring suspension had 16" P6000s - my X350 Sovereign has 19" P Zero Rosso. Both have a (J) mark to signify that they are Jag specific although it's not clear how they differ from standard Pirellis or the same size tyre with an Audi, BMW or Merc stamp on the sidewall.

Every tyre fitting place I've asked has told me to stick with the OE tyres and that they are 'special order'.
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - henry k
>>Every tyre fitting place I've asked has told me to stick with the OE tyres and that they are 'special order'.
>>
They would say that. The least risk. " It is wot Jaguar says mate!" and more profit!!

I am concerned that there are so many complaints about Pirellis.
In addition, many said they were noisy especially as they wore down.
I am disappointed that my X Type, at present , is not as quiet as my 98 140K Mondeo which is shod with Kumhos. I think some of the excessive noise is from the tyres.
>> And I assume no spare as is the norm these days....
>>

Not even a space saver, just a can of gunk, so lucky that its holding pressure until I can get it replaced
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - Runfer D'Hills
I once knew someone, who having done something similar, scoured around for a local pothole to photograph and blame...

Which was of course a lie and is not to be encouraged.
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - Robin O'Reliant
>> I once knew someone, who having done something similar, scoured around for a local pothole to photograph and blame...
>>
>> Which was of course a lie and is not to be encouraged.
>>
A "Friend" was it, Humph?
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - VxFan
You might want to get the tracking checked out as well. No good fitting a new tyre if it's not pointing in the right direction - you'll only wear it down prematurely, costing you even more money.
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - Ted

Had to attend one of our baby Fiats on Saturday. The spacesaver was on so I didn't look at the alloy, which was tucked up in the boot. At the tyre fitters they found this hole by the rim.

It was big enough to push my chunky pen in with ease yet apart from some scuffing, the rim had held it's integrity. A new tyre was £82. My suggestion that a piece of black gaffer tape would sort it was ignored !

s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/1400ted/bb/?action=view¤t=Fiatwm11hbf.jpg

I reckon a steel wheel would have been goosed.

Ted

Tyre sourced from the Dealer - marginally cheaper than the fast fits at a £150 pounds fitted balanced etc...+ the dreaded VAT. Moral always check the dealers !
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - DP
>> Tyre sourced from the Dealer - marginally cheaper than the fast fits at a £150
>> pounds fitted balanced etc...+ the dreaded VAT. Moral always check the dealers !

Impressive, not to mention unusual in my experience. The quotes I've had from Ford, Peugeot and Renault dealers in the past for tyres were always between 50 and 75% more than I actually paid for the same tyres from other sources.
Did you try Blackcircles or Protyre? If franchised dealers are beating these guys on tyre prices, the world really has changed in the last six months. Got four Pirelli P6000s fitted to my S60 (205/55V16) via Blackcircles for £250 all in a couple of years back. Totally painless process.
MyTyres were tried and all the fast fit outfits whcih are well represented around here. Volvo was either cheaper or a nat's whisker more expensive, ultimetely saved a load faf as the dealer is a few miles down the road and it was easy to dump the car there last night and collect later tonight.
 Volvo - Expensive Mistake - Iffy
...Moral always check the dealers !...

Agreed, I've been both agreeably surprised and predictably disappointed by dealer prices on spares and consumables.

I think dealers have been competing more in recent years.

Latest Forum Posts