Motoring Discussion > Motoring Fines to Increase? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 18

Motoring Fines to Increase? - Bromptonaut
Government are consulting on proposals to increase the standard Fixed Penalty for speeding etc from £60 to £90 and to extend to less serious Careless Driving cases.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18438724

The consultation itself is at:

consultation.dft.gov.uk/dft/2012-25/consult_view
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Westpig
Why not something like:

£60 and 1 point for minor transgressions

£90 and 2 points for above minor, but not that great

£120 and 3 points for noticeable

...and court for the rest.
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Why not something like:
>>
>> £60 and 1 point for minor transgressions
>>
>> £90 and 2 points for above minor, but not that great
>>
>> £120 and 3 points for noticeable
>>
>> ...and court for the rest.
>>
WestPig, is this a road-safety issue, or a boost-the-government-coffers issue?

The official justification is:

3.3. The penalty levels associated with most motoring FPNs have been the same since 2000 and subsequent price inflation has reduced their real value.

3.4. The penalty levels associated with most motoring offences are lower than those with other violations of a similar, or in some cases arguably lesser, severity. For example, penalty notices such as disorder are set at £80 (higher tier offences) and £50 (lower tier offences). The Ministry of Justice has consulted on proposals to increase the level of these penalties by £10. Not increasing penalty levels risks some offences being perceived as minor infringements.

While the increased revenue will not be unwelcome but is only worth approx £8.4m a year taking the total FPN take from motoring to £35m.
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Iffy
...a year taking the total FPN take from motoring to £35m...

Hardly an earner for the treasury.

Even less so if that figure doesn't include the cost of collecting and processing the payments.

>> Hardly an earner for the treasury.
>>
>> Even less so if that figure doesn't include the cost of collecting and processing the
>> payments.

Quite right Iffy. I just took the figures in the impact assessment. And having seen a few of those over the years while not complete fiction they're not an audited statement of accounts either. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns etc.......
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Kevin
>3.3. The penalty levels associated with most motoring FPNs have been the same since 2000
>and subsequent price inflation has reduced their real value.

Why aren't all fines adjusted yearly for inflation? Simple enough to do.

What about custodial sentences? Should they be adjusted in line with life expectancy like the state pension age ;-)
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> What about custodial sentences? Should they be adjusted in line with life expectancy like the
>> state pension age ;-)
>>

That would mean different sentences for people of different ages. Life expectancy for someone of 60 is less than life expectancy for someone of 40, but I have a feeling there are glitches in the straight line caused by the higher propensity of young males to kill each other by dangerous driving.

It might be considered unfair to give lower sentences to the most dangerous group.
Also of course 90 year old men would be almost unpunishable.
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Dutchie
You know that makes sense.The Dutch Government uses a similair system regarding points on your licence Westpig.
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Mapmaker
I am at a loss as to why people think that those who do not abide by the laws of the land are worthy of pity when the costs go up.
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - R.P.
Even less so if that figure doesn't include the cost of collecting and processing the payments.

Lots of people don't t know that ! I remember a stat many years ago that a non-endorsable FPN were processed at a loss.
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Haywain
I'd be happy to see capital punishment bought in for using a mobile phone whilst driving - with torture thrown in as well for texting.
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - L'escargot
>> .......... - with torture thrown in as well for texting.
>>

Before or after the capital punishment?
:-)
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - MD
During
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Londoner
+1
A sentence of death, by Mbongo. (You have to know the joke)
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Lygonos
Heard that joke 30yrs ago. I guess it probably wasn't even contemporary then.
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Injection Doc
I agree with mapmaker
those who abide by the law have nothing to worry about.

TBH the fines should be much higher to cover some of the costs involved. No Insurance should be 1000's or prison !
1 point £250.00
2 points £500
3 points £1000
anything else court !

about time we got tough ! otherwise why bother with complying to any rules
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - Haywain
On a technical point, is 'Mbongo' the same (or more or less the same) as 'Mbulla'?
Last edited by: Haywain on Thu 14 Jun 12 at 20:58
 Motoring Fines to Increase? - L'escargot
I'll have to mind my Ps and Qs a bit more in future.
Latest Forum Posts