Motoring Discussion > On the spot fines? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 19

On the spot fines? - Old Navy
I don't think so!

tinyurl.com/d88ekzt (Daily Mail)
 On the spot fines? - Fullchat
Think you will find its a strong possibility.
 On the spot fines? - CGNorwich
What's the problem? If you don't agree you can still go to court exactly as you can with a speeding ticket. Seems a good idea to me.
And what grade of driver training will be required to qualify the police to use the cash register fitted to their cars?
 On the spot fines? - CGNorwich

The same level they have at the moment which works for speeding or offences like driving without a seatbelt or using a mobile phone .

What level of training do you need to detect say someone tailgating or sitting in the outside lane when the nearside is clear? Give them a £90 fine and they might think about changing their behaviour.
 On the spot fines? - L'escargot
>> What's the problem? If you don't agree you .................

What about if you agree but haven't got enough money on you to pay the fine?
Its not about taking cash at the roadside. Its about introducing Careless Driving as a Fixed Penalty Offence which up to now it has not been. So a FPT could be issued if it was deemed appropriate much the same as existing FPT offences at the moment.

There is at present a mechanism for taking Roadside Deposits where drivers either have unsuitable addresses or addresses cannot be ascertained for summons service. eg foreign drivers. The deposit is taken by credit card or if cash through Paypoint by authorised officers. Ironically the deposit is the equivalent of the fixed penalty so if they choose to do one the cash is in the bank so to speak.
>> Its not about taking cash at the roadside. Its about introducing Careless Driving as a
>> Fixed Penalty Offence which up to now it has not been. So a FPT could
>> be issued if it was deemed appropriate much the same as existing FPT offences at
>> the moment.
>>

Exactly, so it is not an "On the spot fine".
 On the spot fines? - devonite
It`s going to get to the stage soon whereby you pay an "upfront " fee of £1000 to your local police force per year, to cover payment of fines you may incur. You will have the choice of having any remainder returned to you at year end, or let it roll-over to the next year with the additional top-up fee to bring it back up to £1000. Save a lot of Time and paperwork! you know your going to get fleeced as motorists anyway!
 On the spot fines? - Clk Sec
Wrong lane on a roundabout. Might be time for me to ditch the road map and buy a satnav!
 On the spot fines? - bathtub tom
Ignoring a lane closed sign and pushing into an orderly queue.

But we're advised to zip merge.
Too many fines are to be based on "Officers discretion" and not on actual violations committed, licence to print money, if "he" says you were wrong, you were wrong - thats it pay up!
>> Too many fines are to be based on "Officers discretion" and not on actual violations
>> committed, licence to print money, if "he" says you were wrong, you were wrong -
>> thats it pay up!
>>

And the officers can vary from the baby plod who has only had a driving licence for a couple of years to the highly trained traffic car driver. If I was stopped and charged by a youngster in a panda car I might just dispute their competence in court. A traffic driver, no chance. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 15 Jun 12 at 13:19
These days I don't think you will find the 'youngsters' chasing you for Traffic issues unless they have a particular bent in that direction. Most Traffic stuff does not fall within Performance Indicators in any event and parking issues have or are been de-criminalised
 On the spot fines? - Shiny
The POLICE driving around Nottingham is generally very sloppy, so it's a not a high-bar to reach their satisfactory standard. I'm talking elbows on windowsill, no signals on roundabouts, lack of forward observation etc...
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Fri 15 Jun 12 at 15:00
You forgot the 'Gucci' sunglasses, Save the Whale wristbands and beads. With the passenger constantly texting. :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 15 Jun 12 at 15:05
 On the spot fines? - Ted

The 'wrong lane at roundabouts ' offence should be put on hold until the planners and road painters get their act together.

Two roundabouts I use on the A56 put you in the lane you want then the lane ahead becomes another destination and you have to change lanes on the roundabout in heavy traffic, whilst trying to keep an eye on the guy on your nearside who also needs to change.I know the layouts well but it must be a problem for ' out of towners '. It certainly is for me on me trips over to Leeds for work.

Ted
 On the spot fines? - Clk Sec
Agree 100% with Ted's post above.
 On the spot fines? - Cliff Pope
>> It`s going to get to the stage soon whereby you pay an "upfront " fee
>>
>>

Brilliant idea. And what about a higher level fee that buys a greater level of cover?
Perhaps a Motorist's Platinum Card costing say £50,000 that gives total exemption from all traffic regulations and speed limits.
>> It`s going to get to the stage soon whereby you pay an "upfront " fee

This was just a tongue-in-cheek bit of sarcasm!!! ;-)

but............

And what about a higher level fee that buys a greater level of cover?
Perhaps a Motorist's Platinum Card costing say £50,000 that gives total exemption from all traffic regulations and speed limits.

That is the Brilliant Idea!!! ;-)
Latest Forum Posts