Motoring Discussion > The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 53

The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Runfer D'Hills
A sort of quiz really. Imagine you are about to retire. Imagine you have decided that you will buy a car which will do everything you need it to do but which you will just keep. we all know that depreciation is the real enemy with cars so you being a prudent sort will buy something with the best potential longevity so it doesn't matter.

I was driving my wife's Qashqai today. Nothing posh, 1.6 manual in base trim. 4 years old, 30 odd thousand miles. It felt totally screwed together. Not a mark on it. Never been a moment's bother. Reliable 42 mpg. Chain cam engine. Runs like a sewing machine. Pleasant enough and useful enough too.

It occurred to me that if I were to pack it all in, then that's the sort of thing I'd buy. Might be worth £8k or so privately now. Might last for another decade or more if respected.

If you were to decide to buy a really long termer, what would be your choice and why?
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Bagpuss
Might well have mine already. Merc E320 Coupe, 1994 vintage and with 74,000km on the clock. Driving it relaxes me and it still has an intangible feel good factor. Let's see if I've still got it in 20 odd years and whether I can still afford to put petrol in it.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Skip
Assuming I was 65 now & retiring I would probably be buying something from Kia due to its 7 year warranty. It would do everything I wanted it to & I would know that there would be no nasty financial shocks with it until I was at least 72 !
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Armel Coussine
Don't ask.

Seething can of worms with a few serpents thrown in.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Stuu
If it was a forever car, a Yaris HSD. Cheap on fuel, chain and long warranty, not too big but big enough for two.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Zero
Been there done that.

The lancer.

It was cheap to buy (no large sums of money tied up in metal on the drive)
It was fairly new (2.9 years old)
It had low mileage (19k)
Its reliable japanese
Its simple to maintain and service by me.
Its an estate and can carry stuff
Its comfortable and quiet and no fuss to drive.
Its cheap to insure

Its expected to last me 10 years. I shall then review its tenure and see if its fit for another 5. Unless it starts acting the goat.

The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Westpig
I already have two long termers that will be kept forever now (three if you count the bike).

42 year old Triumph 2000 mk1 auto, that i've owned for 22 years.
13 year old Jag S Type, 3.0 SE auto, that i've owned for 10 years.

When we buy something else to update the S Type both the above will be run as classics and used very little.

Wife's 7 year old X Type estate we've had for 7 years, we'll keep that as a family hack 2nd car and run it until it dies.

I believe in looking after my cars well and keeping them in tip top condition, which stops me from chopping and changing them and losing a load of money each time....although the money I spend on keeping them looking and running perfectly does add up.

To specifically answer your question Humph...it would be a 2.2d 187 bhp Jag XF Sportbrake, in 'Luxury' trim. Dark blue with beige leather, burr walnut trim, sunroof, smallest wheels they'll let me have....not that i've been planning such things...;-)

The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Old Navy
My Ceed estate, 7 years of free fixes (if required), chain cam, no DMF or DPF, should be good for at least another 10 years by which time I will only need a shopping trolley with a lawnmower engine if I am still up to driving or I will be on a compulsory bus pass.
Duplicate post, finger trouble. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 17 Jun 12 at 20:20
theres old age for you....
:-P
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - henry k
>>Wife's 7 year old X Type estate we've had for 7 years, we'll keep that as a family hack 2nd car and run it until it dies.

>>I believe in looking after my cars well and keeping them in tip top condition, which stops me from chopping and changing them and losing a load of money each time....although the money I spend on keeping them looking and running perfectly does add up.
>>
I have fortunately been able to buy my X Type which I intend to keep for a long long time, perhaps until I give up driving or maybe eventually I will dribble along in a Yaris when I can no longer judge where the bonnet is..
I can afford to run the X Type and let someone else deal with the oily bits.
The relatively cosmetic bits / upgrades I am sorting out
I now note that my X Type was one of the last of its kind ( 2.5) so should be sorted and has had a diet of Mobil 1 . Bought from a non smoker, no dogs, no snotty little kids owner was another bonus.

I have a similar approach to Westpig. Two of my previous cars have been driven to a scrapyard due to rust after a long life in my hands.
Eight cars ( two written off prematurely- not my fault) in nearly 50 years shows I tend to keep em a looong time.

The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Dog
I likes the ole Mazda CX-5, Subaru XV, Ford Kuga, Mitsubishi ASX, Nissan Qashqai, Kia Sportage etc. etc.

But ... they would have come with a proper automatic gearbox. so that excludes all the above except the Ford and the Kia.

And as for the why? - because I like the shape/design of the mini suv/crossover whatchamacallits.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - mikeyb
Whats in the CX-5 then? FIL has just had a test drive in one and told me it was a proper auto, but he would get the manual anyway.

He liked it, but has decided to hang onto his 3 til its 3 years old
>>Whats in the CX-5 then?<<

I ass-umed it was a CVT, but I stand to be corrected.
It says here that the MX-5 can be had with a manually controlled automatic gearbox, whatever that is.

finance.yahoo.com/news/2013-mazda-cx-5-surpasses-154100579.html

The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Lygonos
I think the MX-5 Powershift is a torque converter auto with flappy paddles.

The Ford Powershift is a dual-clutch unit.

Assuming you made a typo and meant CX-5 - it's tough to be sure from a US review (which states that the Honda CRV is auto-only).
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 17 Jun 12 at 22:35
Here's The-Man-With-The-Hat road testing one:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/cx-5-2012/?section=road-test
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Dave_
Although a long way from retirement, I've already got my 5-year car. Had it for well over a year already with no sign of deterioration or impending bills. The only money I've spent has been on servicing or fixing things I've broken.

>> buy a car which will do everything you need it to do but which you will just keep

That's how my dad does it. In the last decade and a half he's owned two cars, both bought at 10 months old from main dealers. His 1995 Passat went from 10k to 160k before it started making expensive gearbox noises, so he chopped it in for a 2003 C-Class which is just run in now it's reached 100k.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sun 17 Jun 12 at 21:50
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Ted

The Jowett, owned now for 40 of it's 60yrs, won't be going anywhere, like Westporkers Trump.

I'd be happy to run it as an only car if I didn't need a towcar and SWM didn't need her own motor. I'm very pleased with the Grand Vitara 2L TD Auto. There's no rust, even after 10 yrs and the mileage has just tipped 83K. Just had the cambelt, water pump and other belts done but that's all in a year......preventive medicine.

Wife's Note Auto might be OK to keep as well.....chain cam. Seems well put together. I might not be able to afford to run if I keep buying boot locks for it.

If we didn't have the caravan, a small van might be useful for me...Blingo or Kangoo or summat.

I suppose if I got to ON's age, I wouldn't be on a bus pass...I'd be on a ventilator !

Ted
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - BobbyG
Interesting post Humph. My Altea is now 5 years old and part of me wants to keep it for another few years and part of me wants to change. I normally don't keep a car past 3 years.

However, I now know a local guy who does all the VAG servicing dirt cheap, working from home and to go back to dealer servicing to keep a warranty going would be a killer!

Although nowhere near retirement, if I did change, it would be for a car to do me the next 5-10 years. And the one you mentioned in your post is on that list - 1.6 petrol Qashqai.

My preferred would be the Hyundai ix35 but the top of the range only comes in diesel and I think I want a petrol. However, also thinking of downsizing and although I hated it when it first came out, I have taken a liking to the Juke!!

I think I will keep the Altea as there is no one car that I am feeling, "that's the one". Have even caught myself looking at Kia Vengas, great spec and a size down from the SUVs. But I just couldn't own a car called Venga!!

Of course, having a labrador, I would need to take that into consideration with boot sizes - I don't believe the Juke is particularly large!

Daughter starts uni in a few months so realistically I think the Altea will still be with me when/if she graduates!!!

On a side note, saw Vauxhall are bringing out a new car to compete with the Juke called a Mokka - went on the website - prices are sky high, more in Qashqai territory!

The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - ....
As other's have said this exercise was gone through at the last change...

I wanted something that would last ten years without a major rebuild.
Mercedes ruled out due to issues at the time with the 211 was it ? whichever E class it was, it had major issues with rust ! It killed Lancia, why are Mercedes so special ?
BMW ruled themselves out due to a mate who had a 318iS in the late 90's which drained his wallet of £700+ each time it went through the main dealers doors.
I previously had a SAAB 900 and loved the look of the 9-3 but the GM build poor (being polite here).
I ended up with an S60 D5 which I've had for the last 5½ years. Coming up 80k miles, no major heartache bills, roof rack and roof box for when I need more space and rental company phone number for when I need a van.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Avant
Interesting exercise Humph, and one I've thought about a little as I'm 63 and hope to be able to afford to retire at 65.

One aspect I haven't seen above (may have missed it) is the 'getting in and out' factor. SWMBO is already finding my Z3 harder to enter and exit than she did when I first had it 4 years ago - although the Mini Roadster she hs just ordered seems fine. She'll probably retire when she's finished paying for this, so let's hope it'll be built to last.

The current Octavia vRS does a great job and it'll be tempting to keep it for the time being. But if I were to get a car to keep for 10 + years, then I'd go for something higher off the ground - perhaps an Audi Q3 if I could afford it. (I may be in a minority of one but I can't stand the sawn-off look of the RR Evoque.) A Cashcow like Mrs D'About's is a cheaper alternative: I can't think of much that is any smaller than that but still high-up - the forthcoming Ford B-Max could be interesting.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - henry k
>>One aspect I haven't seen above (may have missed it) is the 'getting in and out' factor.
>>
A good point. A great friend of mine - a driver of big Jaguars for many many years has just got an X3 to climb up into rather than flop down into his previous cars.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Mike H
>> I may be in a minority of one but I can't stand the sawn-off look of the RR Evoque.

No, you're not on your own. It's a bit like the Juke, you love it or hate it.
Last edited by: Mike H on Mon 18 Jun 12 at 09:14
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Cliff Pope
Same as Westpig - same car even (Triumph 2000).

I've always bought cars to keep, either until they fall apart or I want a change, usually after 10 years. They are usually at least 15 years old to start with, so depreciation is not a word I know.

I have a stable of cars at present (Volvo 240 for everyday use, Triumph, Series LandRover, and my wife's Peugeot 306). I'm never going to get anything newer than 1992 again, and will probably shift towards the 40-50 year mark as I progressively retire.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Tigger
After years in the company car scheme, I opted out about 4 years ago, and decided that I'd go for cars which I fully intended to keep long term.

First one was a Toyota Landcruiser 120 (the 'baby' one). Perfect for towing our caravan, and I thought a much better long-term prospect than a Discovery3 or Freelander2. (though I note that LR reliability seems to have improved with the discovery4 and freelander2).

I added an MX-5 roadster coupe a year ago.

In both cases, I fully expect to keep the cars for 10-15 years minimum.

We also have a Honda Jazz, now 6 years old. Though SWMBO is starting to position for a replacement 'the engine hesitated when pulling away from a junction' etc
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - NeilS
I bought my Santa Fe new, diesel auto, last year figuring that I'll do 125k to 150k in the next 5 years and then probably go part time and decide then whether or not to continue with it. The cost of owning it over the next 5 years is covered by car allowance and mileage so if it's been reliable and good to own then I'll keep it. After 20k miles I'm more pleased with it than when I bought it as the engine is sweeter and it handles and steers quite nicely when hustling along, better than I expected.

I still want something Japanese with just two seats and no roof. Frustratingly, I keep having to put back this decision in much the same way as my retirement date.
>> I still want something Japanese with just two seats and no roof. Frustratingly, I keep
>> having to put back this decision in much the same way as my retirement date.
>>
>>
I'd always said I'd get one when I retired. But realised that my wife's knees were potentially going to be a problem by retirement age, and if I wanted one I needed to get on with it.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - WillDeBeest
..my wife's knees were potentially going to be a problem...

My wife's already are - I keep finding them in my half of the bed at four in the morning. Elbows too. Sometimes the only way is to get out and back in on her side.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Londoner
Ultimately I aim to move out of London to a more countrified when I retire. I want to explore the UK and I don't expect my annual mileage (about 17000) to drop much.

My ideal long-termer would be a four-wheel drive estate car with a diesel engine and proper automatic gearbox.

This is a segment that I know nothing about, unfortunately. I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions?
Qashqai+2 with 2.0d, 4x4 and auto slush box maybe Londoner?. I had a "standard" bodied Qashqai with that set up but a +2 would give the loadspace of an estate. Good cars. Not especially sporty but comfortable and apparently reliable. Really cosseting in "Tekna" trim. Slightly more dashing in N-Tec trim but more than enough toys in the more basic configurations. Mine was very capable in the snows of the winter of 2010/11 even on ( shall I whisper this? ) normal tyres...

:-)
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Londoner
Thanks for the suggestion Humph. It's always appreciated when people are kind enough to respond with suggestions.

I was a contented Nissan owner for a run of 17 years, so I am favourably inclined towards the brand. I would probably have kept buying Primeras for ever but they stopped making it, and I didn't like the car which replaced it in the line-up...which was the Cashcow!

"One man's meat is another man's poison", as they say! :-)
Fair enough !
>
>> My ideal long-termer would be a four-wheel drive estate car with a diesel engine and
>> proper automatic gearbox.
>>
>> This is a segment that I know nothing about, unfortunately. I don't suppose anyone has
>> any suggestions?

Grand Vitara TD Auto, Londonboy. Easy to get in and out of, proper rear door and bags of luggage space. If you're exploring, you can get off the tarmac and go for it.

Ted
>>
Are green ones OK Teddy: www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201221472963853/

Same as mine, that....Puppy. Apart from colour, which I quite like.
The interior's the same and look....it's gorra nandbrake !

Ted
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - Bill Payer
>> We also have a Honda Jazz, now 6 years old. Though SWMBO is starting to
>> position for a replacement 'the engine hesitated when pulling away from a junction' etc
>>
That could be the EGR valve or MAP/MAF sensor.

I felt our old Jazz had that "hewn from granite" feel while at the same time being relatively basic in terms of electronics etc, that made me think it would last for ever, but apparently at 6-7 years old they can develop all sorts of faults. We changed for a new one at 6yrs old.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Mon 18 Jun 12 at 13:06
>> That could be the EGR valve or MAP/MAF sensor.

Yes, I'd been thinking along similar lines. It always seems fine when I drive it, so I'm inclined to leave it a little longer!
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - madf
Our late Peugeot 106 1.4 D was 17 years old when it was crashed... It could easily have lasted another 10 years - altho despite waxoil rust was beginning..
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - alfalfa
I haven't posted for quite a while but have looked in on the site from time to time and this thread really caught my attention. I have just done the "Retire and buy your long life car" thing and like several others I have gone for the small 4wd SUV; in this case a Subaru Forester diesel.

Ideally I would have liked to buy near new but Subaru dealers prices were mad. I ended up with a new 2012 Forester for less than some dealers were asking for 2011 demonstrators. Anyway the choice was based on:

Subaru have decent reputation for reliability and longevity and I have been pleased with my previous Foresters except for 25mpg consumption

Diesel engine is chain cam and over first 4,000 miles has averaged 44mpg based on counting miles and gallons per fill up

No dashboard computer

No electric hand brake

No tyre pressure monitors

Full size spare

Having just received a leaflet about changes to the MOT I suspect electronic failures may be a big problem in the future and could render older cars uneconomic to repair.

I would have preferred an automatic slush box but that's not an option with the diesel and I'm going to have to live with my first DPF. 15,000 mostly out of town miles per year should be OK (fingers crossed here).

I'll let you know how it goes.

alfalfa
Sounds good Alfalfa. Don't see many of those around. Nice to have something a bit different.
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - DP
An E39 530i. A properly built BMW with proven mechanicals, a huge range of indies for reasonably priced parts and servicing, and a very appealing mix of pace, space and grace.

The kind of car you could live with for a long time, and one which I reckon will still look good in 15 years. It's aged beautifully so far.

www.flickr.com/photos/56332324@N00/4141263420/
I had a new-shape Forester diesel once when my XT was being serviced.

It seemed very roly-poly and the gear lever felt like it was stirring porridge. Decent sized interior and as Subaru do best: functional, unexciting, but likely to last forever interior.

In retrospect it was probably comparable with our old CRV, but it made the XT feel like a racing car.

(which, in some respects, it was).
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - R.P.
The X1 was 1 and a bit years into the 5 year car. Then everything changed. I'll keep the 3 Series for 5 years. Honest.
Low flying pigs sighted at RAF Valley tonight...
all together now....

We buy any car dot com.

>> It seemed very roly-poly and the gear lever felt like it was stirring porridge. Decent
>> sized interior and as Subaru do best: functional, unexciting, but likely to last forever interior.

Well yes it does roll a bit but the gear change is definitely better than my previous Forester. The functional approach has maybe gone a bit too far, no cup holders (yes I used them) and some very hard plastics.

alfalfa
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - R.P.
Hey - Welcome back !
>> Hey - Welcome back !
>>

Thank you R.P. It's good to be here!

alfalfa
My sister's husband in NZ has a Subaru Forester, but a petrol one. Subarus are well respected in the Antipodes. I think it's 2.5 litres, very smooth and goes very well when booted. I alarmed them in it but only once, and only really because mimsing is obligatory down there.

I didn't do any ambitious cornering but it didn't seem to roll that much. Perhaps my standards have declined.

I'm old, and I too like Subarus. I'd rather have a car than an SUV though. There's a 2 litre petrol engine redlined at 7,000 or more... nice. I like flat engines too. I'd have to try one but I bet I'd like it. If I had Lud's money that is. Meanwhile I'm happy enough bouncing around in the roly-poly thing I've got.
At least take a 2.5 XT for a 'test drive' at a nearby Subaru dealer.

If 0-60 in under 6 seconds doesn't make you chuckle in something that resembles Postman Pat's van, then you might as well be dead.

7000rpm redline + turbo = Smiles.

>> make you chuckle in something that resembles Postman Pat's van

South of the Thames somewhere, a busy four-lane single carriageway, saw a matt black rwd Escort van suddenly take off like a bat out of hell, do a handbrake turn in the centre of the road between the bollards and go wheelspinning off seamlessly in the other direction overtaking to left and right and over the goddam top... very stirring. I really wanted one of those. Tweaked 2-litre Pinto probably...
 The 5, 10 or even 15 years + car. Your choice? - DP
>> South of the Thames somewhere, a busy four-lane single carriageway, saw a matt black rwd
>> Escort van suddenly take off like a bat out of hell, do a handbrake turn
>> in the centre of the road between the bollards and go wheelspinning off seamlessly in
>> the other direction overtaking to left and right and over the goddam top... very stirring.
>> I really wanted one of those. Tweaked 2-litre Pinto probably...

Motoring perfection.

The place I used to get my bike MOT'd had a tatty old Ford P100 as a recovery vehicle / dogsbody. It was packing 2wd Sapphire Cosworth running gear, which was reportedly chipped to about 280 bhp.

It was still in the original Ford white, which was sort of off white by then, with big scabs of rust around the arches and the door bottoms, numerous scuffs and dents, and was running on the original 15" steel wheels with big balloon tyres. Looked completely, and utterly standard.

I wouldn't bet against a sub 6 second 0-60 time unladen, if you could get traction. :-)
Latest Forum Posts