Motoring Discussion > Ref Iffy's deer thread - driving in Austria Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 7

Ref Iffy's deer thread - driving in Austria - Mike H
Didn't want this to get buried, but it is a legal requirement here in Austria that you must telephone the police and remain at the scene until they arrive if you hit a deer. There are a lot of them around on occasion, so be wary about driving at night in the countryside, use main beam where possible, and keep an eye out.
Last edited by: Mike H on Wed 20 Jun 12 at 08:14
 Ref Iffy's deer thread - driving in Austria - Meldrew
My recent experience of driving in Austria suggests that getting a mobile signal, to ring the police, might be a problem!
 Ref Iffy's deer thread - driving in Austria - Dave
Indeed here in Sweden, any accident with moose, deer, otters, wild boar, wolves, lynx, bears, eagles, or reindeer must be reported immediately, and either wait at the scene or mark the scene. The police and a hunter will then be sent to collect/kill/track the animal as required. You are advised not to get out of the car if it's a bear, wolf, lynx or wild boar!

Any deer, moose or boar 'belong' to whoever has the hunting rights for the area concerned, and will be given to them. The rest belongs to the state. The penalties for failing to report/mark the position can be jail.

As a result though, all animal accidents can then be tracked, and there is a website where it is transposed onto a road map. Repeat accidents in the same place are then highlighted and usually extra warning signs are put out.
 Ref Iffy's deer thread - driving in Austria - Ted

I still have the little 'moose' warning signs you sent me , Dave. A nice little talking point but not a lot of use round here for origainal purpose........Quite a few mooses walking around here in the warm weather, though.

Ted
 Ref Iffy's deer thread - driving in Austria - Mike H
>> My recent experience of driving in Austria suggests that getting a mobile signal, to ring
>> the police, might be a problem!
>>
I'm surprised you say that, I have found the coverage to be far superior to the UK and being unable to get a signal is very unusual in my experience. In the bad old days when I commuted to London every day, there were large gaps in the coverage in prime Surrey commuter belt areas on O2, and in Souh Wales.
 Ref Iffy's deer thread - driving in Austria - spamcan61
IIRC when i was living in Finland (20 years ago now...eek) if you hit a deer then if you cut the ears off and took them to the local cop shop you got a reward.
 Ref Iffy's deer thread - driving in Austria - MD
Now...........if the same applied to chavs......................
 Ref Iffy's deer thread - driving in Austria - Runfer D'Hills
...or builders who don't turn up when they say they will and when they eventually blinking do who mention that the quote they gave you didn't totally or even slightly include x,y or z factors which are actually essential...

Hmmm, ears you say?

:-)
Latest Forum Posts