Motoring Discussion > Ford Focus III - High bonnet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 20

Ford Focus III - High bonnet - L'escargot
I've just had an 11 plate Focus as a loan car and I was surprised how high the top of the dashboard and the bonnet were. Is it just a styling gimmick? I couldn't see any reason for it.
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - Alastairw
Its to do with pedestrian impact protection. Things have moved on since your Mk 1 Focus, I'm afraid
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - Lygonos
Pretty sure I've mentioned this one before, but if you look as even supposedly 'sleek' cars these days, such as Jags and look carefully, you can see how the designers have attempted to mask the need for a raised bonnet.

On some cars it looks very awkward.
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - four wheels good...
For improved pedestrian safety rating? More space between the bonnet and the hard bits underneath.

Beaten by a whisker there!
Last edited by: four wheels good... on Wed 20 Jun 12 at 17:34
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - rtj70
So for a better design some cars will now come with pedestrian airbags. I think the new Volvo V40 is one:

carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/05/volvo-details-new-v40-hatchback.html

Very clever - not seen it working before I followed my own link!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 20 Jun 12 at 18:48
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet, pedant alert - bathtub tom
The Swedish automaker's system comprises of seven sensors embedded in the front end of the car that transmit signals to a control unit which evaluates them and when necessary, raises the rear end of the bonnet by 100mm (about 4 inches) through the use of pyrotechnic release mechanisms and deploys an air-bag, thus creating a dampening effect when it is hit by a pedestrian.

If all they wanted to do was make the pedestrians wet, wouldn't it be cheaper to utilise the windscreen washers?
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet, pedant alert - Londoner
Trust you to see it from that angle, err ...."Bathtub" Tom! :-)
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet, pedant alert - Dave_
Could make for a hefty insurance claim if you hit a deer.
>> ......... pyrotechnic release mechanisms .........

Let's hope they're not like damp squibs!
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet, pedant alert - IJWS14
>> The Swedish automaker's system comprises of seven sensors embedded in the front end of the
>> car that transmit signals to a control unit which evaluates them and when necessary, raises
>> the rear end of the bonnet by 100mm (about 4 inches) through the use of
>> pyrotechnic release mechanisms and deploys an air-bag, thus creating a dampening effect when it is
>> hit by a pedestrian.

>>
>> If all they wanted to do was make the pedestrians wet, wouldn't it be cheaper
>> to utilise the windscreen washers?
>>

I believe the 370Z has something similar.

The problem is that a minor parking bump can result in a large bill (Many thousands of pounds) to replace all the actuators. Another reason why insurance costs are rising.
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet, pedant alert - TeeCee
Prevention is better than cure. Hispano-Suiza had it right, you'd have to be insane to wander out in front of one of those.
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - bathtub tom
>>I believe the 370Z has something similar.
The problem is that a minor parking bump can result in a large bill (Many thousands of pounds) to replace all the actuators. Another reason why insurance costs are rising.

There's a Nissan favoured by the tuning, lowering, bling crowd, with the same feature. A website tells them how to disable it to avoid horrendous costs if it actuates.
High bonnets aren't safer in all respects. One thing I noticed was that I couldn't see any bodywork forwards of the windscreen, and the point at which the road came into view was further from the front of the car.
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - DP
>> High bonnets aren't safer in all respects. One thing I noticed was that I couldn't
>> see any bodywork forwards of the windscreen, and the point at which the road came
>> into view was further from the front of the car.

So we can conclude that not only is the pedestrian more likely to survive the encounter, but the reduced visibility means you don't get such a clear view of their pain and terror ravaged faces as they bounce off the bonnet. This protects the driver from some of the mental trauma that goes hand in hand with the act of mowing down pedestrians.

Sounds like a win-win situation to me ;)
Last edited by: DP on Thu 21 Jun 12 at 15:52
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - diddy1234
Maybe the higher car bonnet is there to blind the driver more and protect the pedestrian.

A possible solution to a non-problem.

I.E. if you could see pedestrians you wouldn't hit them.
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - Dog
>> One thing I noticed was that I couldn't see any bodywork forwards of the windscreen, and the point at which the road came into view was further from the front of the car<<

Shirley most cars have been like that ever since the introduction of the Fjord Sierra.
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - WillDeBeest
There's one make that has a handy circular marker to show the driver where the bonnet ends but its name escapes me.
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - Zero
The gun sight up front you mean?
>> ........ but its name escapes me.
>>

Mercedes Biegungen.
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - rtj70
Depends on the model of MB - some have the 'gunsights' but some do not (just a badge).
 Ford Focus III - High bonnet - WillDeBeest
RTJ, we're going to send you on our course on how not to take everything you read here entirely literally. It's very good, led by Dog, with an introduction by AC and catering by Pat and Zero. Transport from and to the station is provided by Peter, Humph and, er, me.
Latest Forum Posts