Motoring Discussion > Chamois leather or sheepskin? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 26

Chamois leather or sheepskin? - L'escargot
I'd always assumed that chamois leather was made from the skin of a chamois, but Halfords label theirs as "genuine sheepskin".
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - R.P.
A Hillman Chamois was made out of tin....!

Funny enough I was contemplating this yesterday afternoon - cleaning the bike after a seagull attack - I fished a "leather" from the box of car cleaning bits, turned out it was synthetic....crap.
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Skip
I recently purchased a drying towel as advised by some my younger colleauges at work who informed me that chamois leathers and their synthetic counterpart "went out with the ark" & I must admit that it is fantastic, so much easier to use than a leather.
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Cliff Pope
Would you like to sin
With Elinor Glyn
On a tiger skin?
Or would you prefer
To err with her
On some other fur?
>> ............. my younger colleauges at work ..........
>> informed me that chamois leathers ............ "went out with the ark"

They can't have gone out because they're still readily available for purchase.

Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Stuu
>>I recently purchased a drying towel as advised by some my younger colleauges at work who informed me that chamois leathers and their synthetic counterpart "went out with the ark" <<

I just bought a new Vileda Car Cloth so my place on the Ark is assured. A Car Cloth can be used for more than drying off a car not to mention they last for years.

There was a fashion for polishing sponges some years ago now but they were a PITA after a while and always gave me cramp in my hand so I went back to good old soft cloth.
I do use microfibre cloths to remove polish though, they are very good for that, only came to them 4 years ago and I dont buy the car specific ones but the cheap ones in household section at supermarket.
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Dog
>>A Hillman Chamois was made out of tin....!<<

It was also a good Singer, I hear.
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Clk Sec
And a fair Hunter.
>> And a fair Hunter.
>>

That was my second new car ~ 1967.
>> A Hillman Chamois was made out of tin ....!

Actually, they were made out of steel. My first new car was a1965 Singer Chamois.
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Meldrew
I think some cleaning leathers are made from lambskin these days
>> I think some cleaning leathers are made from lambskin these days
>>

Poor little lambs.
Are they sold as chamois leathers or lamb leathers?
I don't know. Chamois are actually a species of sheep, I thought they were goats! Lamb tastes better than goat BTW!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 21 Jun 12 at 10:26
>> Chamois are actually a species of sheep, I thought they were goats!

My dictionary defines them as goats which live in the mountains of Europe and southwest Asia.
The sometimes fallible Wiki says "Leather made from the skin of the mountain sheep or chamois" Another describes it as a mountain antelope! The truth is out there somewhere but I can't findi t and in the big picture of the World financial crisis and the B awful football it doesn't rank too high!
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Shiny
A few years ago, a doting young female colleague came round with her new-to-her c-class coupe for me to give it the once-over and fit some new bulbs and help her polish it.

She asked about the leather I was using and said why don't you just use a towel?
I said towels are....I don't know. I went in and got an old bath towel I was saving to make dusters. It was 10x better than a leather.

I've never used leather again. They drag, cling, leave water beadlets and need wringing out.

Old worn-thin towels seem best.

Afterwards, I just rinse and spin or wash with other towels.
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Mike Hannon
Microfibre cloths for me these days, for preference, or old towels.
I need to keep labour to a minimum due to advancing age.
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - bathtub tom
I should imagine old towels are good, I'll have to give it a try, I've a couple in the garage.

I can't understand why SWMBO keeps chucking them out. I find old ones are much better in the bathroom for their designed purpose - drying. She prefers new, fluffy ones which don't seem to do the job half as well. Is it me?
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Clk Sec
>> She prefers new, fluffy ones
>> which don't seem to do the job half as well. Is it me?

No, it isn't. You are quite right, but they do seem to improve with age and use.
I think many towels and other fabrics are manufactured with some sort of filler which makes them feel smooth or fluffy, as the case may be, but in fact they need washing before use. Similarly ISTR that fabric conditioners/softeners are not recommended for towels as they impair the drying function
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - MD
>> >> She prefers new, fluffy ones
>> >> which don't seem to do the job half as well. Is it me?
>>
>> No, it isn't. You are quite right, but they do seem to improve with age
>> and use.
>>
And the towels...........
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Ted

Is this thread about bits of cloth wot you rub the painty bits of ur car with ?
I know little of such procedures.

We have place nearby with big spinning machinery and squirty water.....£1.99 in the slot and just sit there.

That's the way to cope with increasing old age, Mike !

Ted
>> Microfibre cloths for me these days, for preference, ............

Eugh. I can't stand microfibre cloths. They stick to the roughness of my hands. Give me a real chamois leather any day.
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - Mike Hannon
No way will any motor belonging to me go through an auto car wash. Last time I used one was 10 years ago when I had a white Volvo briefly, and didn't really care about it.
All the car washes around here - and there are lots - have big signs nowadays saying their brushes don't scratch paint. Says it all really. I didn't believe them before and I don't now.
Microfibre cloths become less clingy with use but they still seem to work as well.
Many car washes have gone over from scratchy nylon brushes to ones made of flexible but solid tubes tubes of sponge rubber - no more scratchy than a hand sponge.
>> No way will any motor belonging to me go through an auto car wash.

I dont blame you. I remember a work colleague putting his company van through a car wash. What he didn't know beforehand was that somebody's radio aerial was caught in one of the vertical brushes. The van came out with deep scratches all down the one side.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 23 Jun 12 at 15:51
 Chamois leather or sheepskin? - CGNorwich
Could try hand cream?
Latest Forum Posts